Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welder w/welder?????????
- - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 03:20
Hey guys, what is a good wire welder that i can use off of my sa200?
or can i use one with the sa200? i sure would like to find a decent wire welder to use.
thnx tommy
Parent - - By rigchaser85 (**) Date 03-27-2010 03:26
lincoln LN25
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 03:45
hey how does that hook up to the machine?? is it 110v?
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 03-27-2010 03:59
hooks to ur leads.thats what runs ur box.and yes ur 200 will run it.
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 11:17
Awesome!!!! it is so cool to logon and ask a question and all the great mind work together to give an answer. I dont know a lot about welding but I sure do learn a lot from this site!!!!
Thnx guys
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 11:19
also, whats size of metal will the LN-25 weld up to?????
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 03-28-2010 18:57
Tommy
I ran a Lincoln LN25 on a Red D Arc (exactly like a 300D) in CC mode for a couple of years. I used .045 and 1/16 wire NR211 or NR212 quite successfully on heavy equipment repairs.  I switched to dual shield wire with CO2 gas because it was quicker and cleaner - still CC mode - and again quite successfully.  Later I installed a CV adapter in my welder for better control out of position.  This was a good set up and lasted right up until last summer when I overdid things a little and cooked a leg out of the welder.  I'm using a Vantage 400 now and liking it, although still getting used to it.  Still using the LN25 and don't plan to change it out any time soon.
Tom
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 04:31
por boys have poor boys ways. Heres what i had to do earlier in the week just because the drilling super. wanted it welded with wire but it worked he he was happy.
Attachment: migrig.jpg (289k)
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 04-13-2010 05:08
If you are looking for a ln25 that inspector you met when you were over at my house had one for sale. I can call and see if he still has it.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 04-13-2010 13:07
Sure see how $$$$$$$$$(
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-27-2010 15:31
Your Ln 25 will only run certain wires off an sa 200 unless you install a cv adapter .
I don't know what your going to try and weld with the LN25 you can run nr211 for
fences and such without an adapter for any real  structural welding  you can not weld Nr232 off a lincoln Sa200
without Constant Voltage.  The lincoln Vantage is set up to run any suitcase wire feed.
In my experience most structural Guys use Millers as they are set up with cv. Pipe welders prefer lincoln
for the pure DC power source. Although I 've been told that several of the newe millers have pure DC output.
Years ago I had a miller big 40 i was able to weld pipe with stick and structural with wire. But I'll nevber forget
getting runnoff an edison pipline project without making a weld after passing the test with my miller at the test lab
because the strawboss was convinced that knowone could weld downhill with a miller. I went out and got an old redface
and struggled  trying to adept. Different welding machines require different technique  Joe
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 18:44
I don't weld on the line. It  will be to help me tack in place.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-27-2010 20:15
you still need to be able to tack with the correct wire per the wps most of the wires that will run
on a standard sa200 with cc are not used because of the low tensile strength values i.ve seen other
posts on here regarding wires such as nr211 great for the farm or hobbiests worthless in the construction
world  good luck Joe
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-27-2010 20:57
whats ur opinion to run with my sa200????
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-28-2010 05:08 Edited 03-28-2010 05:11
You can use any voltage sensing "across the arc" powered feeder, the LN-25 being a good one, but unless You have a CV [constant voltage] module installed, You will be welding with CC [constant current] which probably will not work as well, or be within Your WPS for code work. CC will not work for short circut transfer, but that might not be an issue for field work.

Your machine should be fine with .045 cored wire, if the wire is rated for multiple pass welding, theoreticly You could weld any thickness You want.

From what I have read, the CV module is pretty expensive.

The only other alternative I can think of, primarily for aluminum MIG welding, and with the same limitations as above, is a spool gun with a voltage sensing AC/DC control box.
I have one I could turn loose if someone was interested.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 03-28-2010 06:15
and u could weld aluminum with a 200 with this gun u have
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-28-2010 16:44
Id like to see someone weld aluminum with an LN-25 is there a special set of rollers for the drive rollers.
The standard rollers will crush aluminum wire. The only setup I know of is a cobra wire feed made specifically for aluminum
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-29-2010 02:48
I have never used this particular gun, but yes, it is made to weld aluminum with a stick welder with AC OR DC aux power. The spool gun is essentially the same as I have on My shop machine, but the AC/DC controll is pretty unusual.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-28-2010 16:49
as previously stated all flux cored wire is not the same. NR232 is
the most common wire required for structural welding. It will not run on cc
and even with a cv adapter it will not run as good as a vantage or miller big 40
which comes ready to weld in ccv or cv mode.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-29-2010 02:57
I believe You about the machines designed from the git to weld with CV being the way to go if You have the choice.

With regard to the aluminum rig, it is an Airco spool gun that uses 4" 1# spools of wire right in the gun. It only has to push the wire a few inches.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-29-2010 14:01
I was only commenting on 52 lincolns post that implied that
you could weld aluminum with a standard ln-25. I just didnt
want the guy to bid a job on aluminum then find out  he had
to buy a new gun setup for aluminum. The same goes for
running Mig wire. The ln-25 comes set up to run innershield
the standard gun does not allow for the use of gas.
Joe
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 15:40
Joe i have a question. What about running a miller 12vs off a 200 machine i was told it can be done and i have a chance to get 1 and at a very decent price or maybe even trade
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-29-2010 19:56
im not familiar with the machine. You can run any suitcase wire feed off any stick welder 
portable or shop your just using the machine to generate power. what limits your application is that
certain wires will only run on cv regardless of what brand wire feed you have lincoln, miller,hobart
hope this helps  joe
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 21:08
i was just wondering i was told you can hook it to the leads and rock on with it
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-29-2010 22:17
you can if your using a wire that will run on cc
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-30-2010 01:29
Shad, the Miller VS units will run on a stick welder, just powered by the welding cables. The RC units are set up to run with the 24 volt output on a Miller 14 pin plug.

If You do a search on the Miller VS 12 You will find some comments about it. From what was said, I take it to be a better machine than some earlier Miller suitcases.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-30-2010 12:14
thanks dave
Parent - By Black Wolf (**) Date 04-05-2010 01:16
With all due respect Joe, your information is incorrect...

I just looked up the LN-25 on the Lincoln site and it clearly states that it comes WITH the Contactor and Gas Solenoid, and is intended as a Mig and Flux Cored wire feeder.  A standard Lincoln Magnum 300 will work fine for both.

Here is the link for your review:

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=421

I have used the LN-25's for a few years now, ran them on CC, and CV.... hooked on to Engine-Driven, Transformers, and Inverters... It is a good all around machine.  I have used them to run Aluminum when the need came up - A change of drive rolls, and a shorter (10' or so) gun with a Teflon liner and you are off to the races.

Is it the IDEAL set-up versus a PowerMig 350 Multi-Process with a Python Gun?  Probably not, but it does quite well in a pinch.

Have a Good Day.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welder w/welder?????????