Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / keeping up with a cert.
- - By abrahamx (*) Date 03-13-2010 01:56
I am currently certified in several codes.  I am a member of the sheet metal workers local 80 and always go up to my school to renew my certs.  From the same guy that certified me.  My question is when or if he was not around anymore where would I go to renew my certs?
Parent - - By jahiw44 Date 03-13-2010 02:58 Edited 03-13-2010 03:08
If he is at your apprentice school hopefully the powers to be have planned ahead and are looking for his replacement. Sounds to me that you may be a good candidate for the job. Something to think about!
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-15-2010 10:47
But to answer your question. you have to document that you have welded with each "process" that you are certified to at least every six months starting from the date you took your original test.
Generally this is done by the QC department, or the QC inspector at each project to keep " your papers active".  But this could be done by a foreman, onwer, supervisor, basically anyone who has the authority to document that you welded with that process and sign a paper.

In my compnay, I test and qualify all our welders, so I keep track and record when they are coming up for requalification and when that date comes around, I run down and watch them make a weld, inspect it and make sure it meets visual inspecection, and then document the date, position, wire, piece, job number and type of weld on a form and put it in the file.  Then in six months go back and so all over again, haven't had a problem in years.
Chris
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 15:48
so each cert. no matter what it is is only good for 6 months?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-29-2010 17:12
Shad.

Some can be good indefinatly.. As long as you show contiunity.. Continuity as mentioned above is simply prooving you have worked with the process and there is a paper trail proving it.

You cross country pipeliners usually have to test for just about every job anyhow right?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 21:00
i'm not a pipe liner i mainly chase drilling rigs and weld structural when i can find it. Igot a 3g cert when i was in brady but i guess its expired now no biggie i can get another on the next gig
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-29-2010 17:19
Shad,
  The Farm Code "certs" I sent you are good forever and you do not have to show continuity. LOL

Sorry guy's, inside joke. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-29-2010 21:00
haha John very funny lol
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2010 00:05
I thought you would get a laugh out of it.

Hope things are going well, we have not spoken in a while.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-30-2010 12:04
Lets not get off subject its to depressing
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / keeping up with a cert.