Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / san Antonio
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 03-31-2010 03:31
WHat are good rig rates south of san antonio?  Landed some work down there but want to know what competetive rates are on my rig. Also If you know Equepment rates that would be helpfull too.  Backhoe, Trackhoe, Dozer (D6).  Thanks Gentalmen.
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 03-31-2010 04:28
When you go south, it dont take much time to figuar out who you are competing with, some will cut your throat and work for 20.00. Sei
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-31-2010 06:55
Where i live in south texas the going rate is anywhere from 40 to 60 on welding i dont know on equipment. the guys that cut your throat are the 1's with ford rangers and bobcats or the famous ranger 8 on a trailer.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2010 12:00 Edited 03-31-2010 12:06
Hey now, watch the generic ranger 8 comments, not all of them are uninsured, unqualified dirt dobber welders. LOL!

JL, you got that right, they do it right here in TN too, except their the ones running around with their O2/Acet tanks in the back of a pickup truck with guages attached and wide open rolling down the I-state. If they have a name and number on the truck though I call the State fire marshall and give him the info.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-31-2010 13:14
the rules must be different up there cause i never take the gauges off unless im changing bottles. I'm glad i dont have to worry about you pulling up behind me. Afte i get the new bed on you can red my true feelings to that when i step on the brakes lol just kidding but really theres a comment when i step on the brakes
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2010 13:35
Dot requires that the bottles have the caps on during transportation or to have the gauges on you need to have the protective rings or caps on in case there's an accident the valve don't get broke off. I didn't think that was a state to state thing, I thought that was a national DOT thing. You'll have to snap a pic of your comment when you get your bed, now you've got my curiosity up.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-01-2010 22:38
You are right that it is a DOT requirement for the gauges to be removed.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-01-2010 00:56
It says, in Flashing Red Letters                 "ImaRoadWhore"
- By joe pirie (***) Date 04-01-2010 01:35
here in ca the highwsay patrol will cite your ass in a heart beat
unsafe transportation of hazardous fuels. i got one many years ago cost me about $250.00
probably double that now. I see rigs everyday in the hall . i'll warn em once if their to stupid to learn
i hope it costs them plenty
- - By burleigh26 (**) Date 04-02-2010 01:06
ill make sure i dont go to Ca.  i have passed DOT in La and Tx, they havent sited me.  i only take my gauges off to change bottles, i guess i could get them protector caps.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-02-2010 11:56
I bought one for my acetylene. I look at it like this. We spend $100-200 on a single grinder, Thousands on a welder, thousands on a bed, bevelers, torch and a host of other tools. After all of that what are two caps at roughly $45 apiece gonna do? Break the bank? I'd rather have them on there than have a wreck, bottle somehow comes loose, valve gets broke off and kill some 5 year old kid in a car. I see them uncapped and I call cause my wife and kid's travel the same roads. One truck from a door company had BOTH tanks laying down and they had them mounted on the flatbed behind the cab. The bad part was that the valves stuck out past the side of the cab, right there wide open. I just thought, holy crap, you gotta be kiddin'. I guess this is one of those thing where some folks will think I'm an a-hole cause I call, think what you will and I'm probably an a-hole but like I said, my wife and kids are on these roads too and the darn things cost around $100 for two.

http://www.rmiorder.com/index.php/browse/category/id/CAP/page/4
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 04-03-2010 23:26
Yea I put the safety caps on. And mine are small cylinders so they dont stick above the cab. And asked a state trooper friend of mine about it and he said he would get back to me. I think the trick to Tx and La is safety caps and how it is carried. In other words it may fall under what the officer interprets safety. We talked about it for a long time, he is only a trooper it may be more of a DOT thing. But I will find out for sure about Tx anyway.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / san Antonio