Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder certificates Europe
- - By maneshu Date 03-31-2010 16:04
Hi everyone,

I have been working in Europe as a TIG/Stick Welder for a while, I'm a canadian citizen but never worked in Canada or in the US.

I have some certificates from Europe and would like to know if they are recognized in the US and Canada

These are the certificates:

Thanks in advance

Tony
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2010 16:32
Welcome to the forum Maneshu!

Here in America.. While some folks may "recognize" your certs.  Before you go to work for anybody they will probably test you again to prove to themselves that you can still do it... That's just how we do it most of the time.

But your certs are still valuable!

They show somebody that you have been tested many times and have been succsessful in europes very strict welding procedures.

Again...  Welcome.
Parent - - By maneshu Date 03-31-2010 21:41
Hi Lawrence,

I know they test you before you start on a new job it works the same way here in Europe, but I was told by some coleagues who worked in Canada that my certificates were not recognized in Canada and the US thats why I was in doubt.

Here in Europe we have the EN 187 and the ASME IX I know that the EN187 is only recognized in Europe and in some countries in Africa or at least for some companies with work in Africa, but I was hoping that the ASME IX was recognized in the US and Canada.

Do you know if these certificates are also recognized in Canada?

Thanks for the reply, and feel free to correct my english ;)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-31-2010 21:52
Hi maneshu!

First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)"

ASME Section IX is most definitely recognized in both the United States of America as well as Canada and many other countries around the world also. :)
Just in case you didn't know, ASME stands for American Society of Mechanical Engineers although, some folks like to think that ASME stands for Always/Almost, Sometimes, Maybe, Except!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-01-2010 01:47
It is En 287-1

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder certificates Europe