Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT standards
- - By tfdavid (*) Date 04-01-2010 15:38
We are all aware of the existence of several standards, such as BS, ISO and EN. For non destructive testing (MT, UT, LT) in specific, are they equivalent enough that allow us to use any of them to evaluate for instances welds in pipeline under service?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-01-2010 16:20
Equivelence is an engineering decision. As for pipelines under service the standard should be determined by the end user.
If the end user has not specified those standards, and I doubt it, then the answer is no.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-01-2010 20:48 Edited 04-01-2010 21:34
I agree with js. However, his answer is very short and chances are that someone (especially someone whose mother language isn't English) doesn't understand exactly what he meant. 
So, I'll take the liberty of explaining that what he wanted to say is that the Engineer (whether a person or a company) that has designed the pipeline and/or specified its construction, based on his knowledge, expertise, experience and good judgement, should determine whether or not to accept one standard in lieu of another one, as BS in lieu of ISO.
Example: back im my days of erector engineer I'd been in charge of the construction of a natural gas compressing station in the south of Argentina (S.A.). All of the welders were qualified to API 1104. When it came the time to make a few structural steel field welds, all of them belonging to the station building and pipe supports, the client and me agreed that the correct qualifying standard in this case would be AWS D1.1. After a few minutes of discussion, though, we decided that a welder who's been qualified under API 1104 was a good welder; that the structural welds to be done were minor ones (largest structural shape was 4 inches), and so the welders didn't need to be requalified to AWS D1.1.
js, have I interpreted correctly what you meant?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-03-2010 23:18
Rather you hit js's meaning or not, your explanation is very well put as usual Professor.  If the Owner/customer and the engineer agree that the welder's certs will qualify him to do the other part of the job then he's good to go. 

Although, I have seen guys who could weld pipe very well but couldn't get some of the simplest welds to look good on structural fillets.  Don't know why.  Also, some guys who weld great with 7018 but can't get 6010 to look like anything I would want on my job.

In short, I think I would have to watch as they first started the job to make sure they could actually handle the change.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-04-2010 17:15
Are you wanting to evaluate existing welds or new welds?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT standards