Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fillet weld size on drawings
- - By weldq Date 04-01-2010 18:13
I'm looking for the official way (and/or industry common standard if multiple ways are acceptable) to designate a fillet weld on both sides .....in particular the weld size. If the fillet weld on both sides is 1/4, is it best to indicate on the drawing 1/4 top and bottom of the weld symbol or just the bottom, leaving the top blank. I have always indicated the weld size for both sides in the weld symbol. A co-worker says that if they are the same then only the weld size needs to be shown for the arrow side of the weld. From what I have researched, it seems to me that both are acceptable, but would think industry common standard shows weld size for arrow side and opposite in the weld symbol ....at least that is what I have witnessed looking at drawings from many company's.

I have also read that you typical would see only a weld size on one side if different than the other, including that the drawing has a note that indicates that all fillet welds are 1/4 unless noted otherwise.

Please reply with any insight.

-weldq
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-01-2010 18:42 Edited 04-01-2010 19:15
weldg
First off welcome to the Forum.
AWS A2.4 Standard Symbols for Welding is the Standard you want to learn Weld Symbols
But 5. Fillet Welds
5.1.2 Double Fillet Welds The dimensions of Fillet Welds on both sides of a joint shall be specified whether the dimensions are identical or different. See figures 32(B) and figures 33(B) and (C).
5.1.3 Drawing Notes Dimensions of fillet welds covered by drawing notes need not be repeated on the welding symbol,
It says more you ought to check it out.
Good Luck
And Again Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - - By weldq Date 04-01-2010 20:21
I was able to get my hands on AWS A2.4:2007.   Are you using a different year? The paragraph section numbers don't seem to match the exerts you posted? However, I did find basically the same info you posted in the 2007 version in the 7. section

-Thanks
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-01-2010 22:18
I had an older version. I will have to get a newer version.
Thank You
Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fillet weld size on drawings