Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw,gtaw,fcaw,gmaw and saw welding defect photos
- - By travishttn (*) Date 04-02-2010 13:05
I need some help!!!! does anyone have any pictures of welding defects in mig,flux core,stick,tig,and sub arc welds? I have a abstract project in welding metallurgy and needs pictures for my abstract poster showing welding defects in each welding process.  Does anyone know where I can find some pictures since I have been unsuccessful in finding pictures online.

Thank you for your time

Travis Hutton
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 04-02-2010 20:25
One idea is to make some bad welds, then take a picture.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-03-2010 09:20
Hello Travis, checkout www.millerwelds.com, they are likely to have some pictures that you can copy and paste into your poster. They have a lot of information, literature, photos that are available for your use and information. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2010 17:41
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-09-2010 20:39
Travis,
I've got a complete set of drawings showing every possible welding defect. The defects are always the same, regardless of the welding method. Porosity, for example, is always porosity, no matter if produced by SMAW, TIG or MIG. Of course, slag inclusion it's not possible with MIG and TIG because MIG wire and TIG rod aren't lined.
They're drawings, they show what the defects consist of, not what they look like. Unfortunately, they're in printed format, not electronic, so I can't send them to you by e-mail, but I can send them by priority air mail. It'll take 6 - 8 days for them to reach you at Houston. If you'd like to have them, leave me a private message with your mailing address and I'll put them in the mail next Monday (Brazilian Post Offices are closed on Saturdays and Sundays).
Of course, there's no charge at all for this task, it'll be a pleasure to help you. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 04-12-2010 05:38
lincoln electric has some great literature available for free. Here is a poster showing discontinuities. http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/wc514.pdf
If you scroll down to the "miscellaneous" section on the "literature request" page (http://www.lincolnelectric.com/products/litrequest/) there are other cool posters and brochures as well.
- By H. Chang (*) Date 04-09-2010 08:39
Try industrial RT film supplier, they have photo for varies defects, which are used to teach how to interprete the RT films
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-09-2010 21:35
travis check out my new website its not quite done yet but on the images page you'll
find pictures of weld defects  using smaw and fcaw  feel free to copy them joe
www.independentweldinspection.com
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-10-2010 00:50
Joe I like you're website but could you add it so that when you click to look at a picture you can double click it to get a more close up pictures of it? or it will just open in another window and be more zoomed in?? This maybe what you're working on now I don't know but would be a nice feature

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-10-2010 01:28
im working on it my computer graphic skills leave much to be desired  lol
i've got some great pipeline pictures but im having trouble transferring them to the website
waiting for my sister to vcome back from vacation to help me out. im amazed ive gotten this far lol   Joe
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-10-2010 05:35
I'm not knocking you at all dude, I tried making a webpage one time and i couldn't get it to go to the next page LOL it was a one page webpage, I gave up LOL The page looks great, really.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 04-12-2010 13:55
Good looking website Joe! I have a few GMAW defect photos from a couple weeks back I will try and get on here on Tuesday.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw,gtaw,fcaw,gmaw and saw welding defect photos