Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / How to make a PQR about stud welding according to AWS D 1.1
- - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-02-2010 13:55
How to make a PQR about stud welding according to AWS D 1.1?It is not clear in the standards.
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 04-04-2010 02:51
Check the commentary of D1.1 Chpt 7.
Regards,
RF
Parent - - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-04-2010 20:18
7.6.4Number of Specimens. Ten specimens shall be
welded consecutively using recommended procedures and
settings for each diameter, position, and surface geometry.
7.6.5 Test Required. The ten specimens shall be tested
using one or more of the following methods: bending,
torquing, or tensioning.

So I can choose any of the methods:bending,
torquing, or tensioning?

For example, I can choose to bend 10 studs,then make a record of PQR?

Best regards
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 04-04-2010 21:14
Have you checked ANNEX N?
Parent - - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-05-2010 10:15
I think ANNEX N is for the manufacturer of the stud. Not for the workshop.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-05-2010 10:35
Annex N is for the shop, it's the forms that may be used to create a WPS.  You don't HAVE to use that version of the form, but it's a good starting point.

Section 7, that's what I did, once we got the machine dialed in, and did 10 studs in a row, visually inspected the "flash" and bent them all, I used that to create my WPS.  The code is vague on what method to use to bend them, I use a pipe about 5' long, a nice even consistant effort and don't put it all the way down the stud, I left it up about 1-2". 
If you do a search for stud testing, we all had this discussion about 6-8 months ago, and ther's some pictures of other guys "method" of consistant testing, that will help you as well.

See the "search" link up at the top of this block? click on that and type in what you are searching for and hit enter.
Good Luck.
Parent - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-05-2010 17:26
Thanks, so I have to follow Form N-9. That mean I can choose each of the method.(bend, torque,tension). And test 10 of them.

My mistake Annex N is for workshop really. Annex N is for the manufacturer of the stud.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / How to make a PQR about stud welding according to AWS D 1.1