Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / New edition of D1.1 available
- - By MBSims (****) Date 04-06-2010 18:48
I got an email from IHS today announcing the 2010 edition of D1.1 has been published.  I have not looked at it yet, but here is the wording they provided on additions and changes:

What is new for 2010:
1. New prequalification variable tables and accompanying commentary added to further clarify the variables requirements on prequalified WPSs and their ranges
2. Matching and undermatching table in the prequalification section was revised
3. Weld profile requirements were slightly revised
4. Shelf bar requirements were added
5. Thermal cut requirements were changed
6. Weld access hole and beam cope requirements were revised and clarified
7. Weathering steel requirements were expanded
8. Three new materials were added to the list of prequalified materials
9. CVN qualification issue was clarified
10. Backing requirements revised to allow discontinuous backing in limited applications
11. Headed stud requirements revised and clarified for burst cracks

Important changes for 2010:
The AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code – Steel revision cycle will change from a 2 year to a 5 year timeframe.  The reasons for the change include:
• This will allow more time for the D1 Committee to develop deeper changes to the code
• The code will be more “stable” as new changes will be implemented in the 5th year and not the 2nd year – you won’t have to change procedures/practices as quickly
• The revision cycle synchronizes better with AISC structural steel code and the International Building Code (IBC)
• Binding will be improved for durability
• The revision change will be a cost effective improvement for users.  You won’t have to purchase the Code as frequently
Parent - - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-08-2010 06:37
How to get the new edition
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-08-2010 14:10
From this site, go to the main website, click on the bookstore.  Should be able to order it from there.  You will need a sign in for it, separate from your sign in to the forum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 04-08-2010 15:27
1.  It's not available yet; it's only available for pre-order.  I do not think it will be available by the end of April.

2.  If you buy from IHS, you can't get the member discount.  You can only get that by buying from AWS.  Right now things look a little odd on the awspubs website because it doesn't offer either electronic copy or member discount (though the base price listed is still less than IHS's), but I think that's just because the book isn't actually available yet.  AWS makes pretty much *everything* available on PDF.

3.  Speaking of PDFs, I still don't understand why in hell they don't offer this option on the website, but if you want a PDF that is more portable (though more loseable) than their downloadable version, you can still call them and order the codes on a flashdrive.  The downloadable PDF has to live on whatever computer you downloaded it to, which to me is kind of like nailing your hardcopy to your desk.  You could experiment with IHS's downloadable PDF, but my guess is the copy protections are identical.

Hg
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-09-2010 00:01
The IHS versions are the same useless format.  I've lost use of at least 4 or 5 copies of AWS documents due to losing the key during file cleanups and on other pdf files can no longer print individual pages when I need to.  I don't understand why AWS charges so much for a pdf file but gives it such little useability.  Definitely not a user-friendly practice.  I do not have this problem with ASME, API or other standards.
Parent - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 04-09-2010 12:36
er Last nights meeting of the local AWS chapter was offering D1.1-10 @30% off list with free shipping and no sales tax-another 9.75% savings in this land of the governator.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-09-2010 15:14
You should contact AWS and tell them what ASME and API do, so that they understand what is possible.  (I don't have those specs so I couldn't say.  I know I had the same problem with AASHTO documents a while ago, before we got a site-licensed version.)

AWS has been known to be pretty cooperative when you need to move your file or something like that, but it's still a pain in the ass.  It's ridiculous that the electronic copy would be *less* portable than the hard copy.

I like the idea of the flash drives.  When you order your hard copy, for an extra $50 (or something like that) you can get the same code on a flash drive, and you can carry that flash drive around and view its contents on any computer (and you can put your own files on it too, so you could put your procedures & whatnot on there if you wanted).  If you accidentally drop the thing down a sewer grate, you're SOL, but these days considering what a flash drive can hold (I've seen 128GB on the same size that used to hold 256 MB), one would think people are getting more careful about those little gizmos.  (I think a nice fat lanyard with the AWS flash drive collection ought to be sufficiently unloseable.  I told AWS they should supply nice fat AWS logo lanyards; why miss another marketing opportunity?)

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / New edition of D1.1 available