Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Smith Torch Suppliers
- - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-09-2010 18:59
Anybody favor one supplier over another for Smith torches? I recently was removed of my ownership of 6 torches and a 1 1/2" - 4" beveling machine by some thieving varmint and need to replace them. I was thinking of replacing them with smith torches since Victor is no longer american made.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-09-2010 19:25
RioCamp
I Like Smith, they are versatile and durable.
Just My ΒΆΒΆ's
Marshall
Parent - - By welder_Bob (**) Date 04-09-2010 23:52
You might give www.ramweldingsupply.com or www.weldingsupply.com a look.  They are both good places to get stuff. Ram generally has better prices on there tools and free shipping.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-10-2010 02:35
Ordered lots of stuff from RAM. Always had great service.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-10-2010 00:47
I was just looking at a new set of Victor torches... When did they stop being made in the USA and did the quality go down..???  Who are they made by now???
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 04-10-2010 02:11
I don't know when they quit making Victor in the U.S. but the quality went down several years ago.  I switched to Smith.  Best torch made in my opinion.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-10-2010 02:34
Victor are assembled in Mexico or at least parts of them are. I have heard that some of the parts are now made in China, I don't know that for sure.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-10-2010 02:36
Can anyone tell me which Smith torches are the same as the 100 and 315 Victors. What about Barrel torches? Both of mine got pilfered also.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-10-2010 11:14
RioCampo
I don't know what a 100 or 315 victors are here is the one I use. http://enet.smithequipment.com/public/docs/BLItemDossier.asp?Item=SC179&PLID=&Country=
And Here is a link to more of their torches. http://enet.smithequipment.com/public/docs/BLCatalogue.asp?Catalog=Torches
Marshall
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-11-2010 03:53
100 is the little victor handle and the 315 is the big victor handle.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 04-13-2010 18:42
If assembled in Mexico that means anything goes.  A guy from shop in town goes to Mexico over holidays to visit his relatives and has been in factories where they work down there was telling me saw them put stuff together with parts from boxes that said China, Taiwan, Japan .....  then put made in America or even put made in USA flags on it.  Now I'm wondering about my Harris torches if they are still made here.  Was just looking at Smith too wondering who sold them.  I bet Harris isn't all made here only packaged here ?

http://www.smithequipment.com/

http://www.smithequipment.com/history.html

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/history.asp
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-14-2010 02:41
So does Victor not have a lifetime warranty on them anymore...???  I have a Victor thats 10yrs old an I have never had a bit of problem with it...   I want stuff made in USA too... Im bummed they arn't anymore... I like there stuff
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-16-2010 01:00
1 part on thermadyne website says 5 years. Don't if that applies to All of torch and regulators though.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-10-2010 15:15
What you need to do is buy some of the cheap chi-com crap.  rig it up to go KABOOM the first time it gets used leave it out to get claimed by those lowlife P.O.S and then bask in the satisfaction that they are going to be in need of a good Doctor.
So victor is no longer American, Bummer!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-10-2010 19:46
NO!

Please do not "rig up" any torch to explode!  It is a federal Crime, and you most probably will just hurt someone other than the thief!
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-11-2010 03:52
NO Rigging for me, but I do have a lead on the Sorry son of gun. He just don't know it yet.
- - By mtlmster (**) Date 04-12-2010 14:56
I haven't bought any torch equipment in several years, but I am/was a die hard for Victor.  I have two size torches a big one and a little one.  I could look up the model number and all, but, since they are no longer American made, probably wouldn't do any good.

I don't know how it is now, but 30 years ago Uniweld interchanged with all of Victor apparatus.  I had heard way back then that the Uniweld was actually made by Victor, just a different name.  Whether that is the truth or not I don't know.

Haven't had the opportunity to use Smith, but I would imagine, if it's made in the U.S. then it's probably pretty good.  But then again I'm prejudice when it comes to American made versus anywhere else.  I know this thread is not chocked full of information, just adding my 2 cents.

Take Care
Steve
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-12-2010 22:11
I have.............HAD the same two, well 4 actually, no more. Looks like a good opportunity to replace with american made equipment.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-13-2010 01:08
Uniweld is an independant in Florida that makes gear that interchanges with the other common brands, not only Victor.
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 04-13-2010 14:45
OK, soo does that mean that Uniweld is American Made?  If it is, I would recommend that, simply because it is interchangeable with other brands.  But then again Smith is probably pretty easy to come by, and I just wonder what brands Smith would be compatible with?  Anyone know?

Take Care
Steve
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-14-2010 01:58
The only thing that is sort of compatible with Smith is a FEW units made for Airco by Smith right before Airgas took over the Airco retail stores. These few units are Smith compatible at the handle but use Airco pattern [3/4" 3 land] cutting tips.

I think You will find Smith equipment rather pricey, but it is good stuff.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 04-15-2010 19:42
I am demoing an ESAB manual cutting set right now.  It is American made.  Though I must say I prefer the design and ergonomics of Victor better.  I am trying to get away from Victor as I can't see a reason to aide a company that chooses to moves out of country if there are good domestic equivalents.  I don't have much expereince with Smith, but it always appeared pretty well built to me.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-16-2010 23:51
Just got a few prices today. There is not much price difference between the two. The only issue in my area seems to be tip availability.
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-17-2010 02:45
I am American to the core and I want to buy American when at all possible, But when it comes down to it.... What tool is going to last the longest, work the hardest and feel good doing it... Sad to say there is less and less American stuff like that every day... Its hard to beat a good German tool.... Do the Germans make a torch????  I would try one if they do..
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Smith Torch Suppliers