Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G pipe practice at home
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-13-2010 17:50
Gonna try and get some pictures up of a 6g pipe I've been trying to pratice with and get better with. I go to school oneday a week and work and sometimes bring a piece home for more seat time pus my machine welds alot smoother then at the school. So pictures will be of root and fill pass. I didn't have time to finsh it, it got to late. I tried puting just 3 tacks which I have done before on smaller pipe but this thing closed up on me so next time it will have to get 4 tacks for sure. I'm not sure of the size. I think maybe 12 inches or a little more.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-13-2010 17:54
technical diffuculty gotta try and make it smaller and if can't today will try again when I get home at 4 am
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 04-13-2010 18:00
Chris I sent you a PM with my email. If you would like you can email me your pics and I will resize them for you.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-13-2010 19:09 Edited 04-13-2010 19:15
YEAHHHHHHHHH I'VE STRUCK GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

sorry about that I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to post that

I'm gonna go buy me the little screw on washer for my grinder so I can add the cutting blade on it. I really wish I could have sliced it because the root was closeing up on me but I should have really put 4 tacks on it to begin with.
So fire away on pointers you can give me for both.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 04-13-2010 19:13
Chris a quick and dirty way to resize your photos is, if you’re using a windows based operating system. Is open them with Microsoft Paint. Save the photo to another location or add a number behind the name. This will shrink your photo by roughly 2/3rds. Remember to make sure you save them as a jpeg!

I typed this out, while you were posting your pictures. LOL!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-13-2010 19:17
yeah the photo paint is what I used but i know I didn't use that last time I did it. So hopefully as I practice more with the pipe I'll keep posting pictures here and I won't forget how to post anymore, that was really Tuff and alot of F bombs getting those two pictures up LOL

Thanks
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 04-13-2010 19:28
Yeah I think it’s easier to weld than take pictures and post them! LOL!

By the way your welds look great! Are you going to work your way down to smaller pipe over time?
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-13-2010 19:41
I would prefer to weld on something much smaller because it is alot harder to weld and not only that if you can do it small then the bigger it gets it's easier i find. People always brag about the biggest pipes they weld and thats cool but it's so much harder welding smaller stuff I find.
This is what the school had so I had to use it. I stashed some 2 inch pipe that I was tiging on so I may try and bevel it and try my luck with stick on it when I go back Friday.

Thanks for the compliment, I do feel like i have a very long ways to go before I can get to anything like what you all weld.

Chris
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 04-13-2010 20:01
To lazy to go and find my AWS D1.1 code book but I remember reading a paragraph where it states that plates certs are acceptable for pipe or tubing over 24-inches in the 1-G, and 2-G positions.
I agree the bigger the pipe the easier, if it gets big enough its like welding on a wall.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-13-2010 19:34
Hello Chris, I have paint on many of my computers and use it often. I also have paint.net which is a free download and a somewhat improved and more versatile version of paint. It has a feature in it under "images" that allows you to quickly select % of original picture size and with a few clicks you can change your pixel counts and very easily downsize and save the image. If you have the time you might want to check this out for future instances. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-13-2010 23:50 Edited 04-14-2010 00:54
Bead Take more gap, put on a wider land and slow down. Turn your machine down about 10/15
Cap Turn down 10 and slow down a little. Cap looks good, but I cannot see the bottom.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-14-2010 09:29
The bead I did a 3/32 gap but it closed up on me so next I may try a 1/8th gap and the fill I was running a little to hot for sure but will take it all in and change it for next time.

Thanks
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G pipe practice at home