Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / problem miller xmt 304
- - By dash Date 04-15-2010 22:37
Im considering buying an xmt 304.  I went to try it out today i took my miller big 40 with me to use as a power source. I plugged up the xmt and tried to stick weld with it. I would get the rod to strike off then it would stop welding and help-6 would show on the display.  i noticed a fuse would pop out on the back of the machine facing the back it was the one on the far right.  I would really like to buy this machine but not if there is a serious problem. What does help 6 mean?
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 04-15-2010 22:59
Help 6 Display
Indicates that the input voltage is too low and
the unit has automatically shut down. Operation
will continue when the voltage is within
the acceptable lower range limit (15% below
the applicable input voltage). If this display is
shown, have an electrician check the input
voltage.

I would guess that your big 40 is the model with 5500wats aux power. If this is the case it will nor run the XMT because it does not make enough power to run it. You can get on millerwelds.com and look up any serial number and get an operators/ parts/ service manual for that equipment. I would recommend that you do this for each machine as its free, this will tell you with a little looking what each machine can and can't do and maybe save you some coin. On another note if the XMT is a really good deal you can't go wrong with one because they are awesome power sources. I use mine in the shop all the time, I have taken it out in the field a time or too but it's home is usually in the shop running on 240 single phase.
Parent - - By dash Date 04-16-2010 00:13
thanks for the info i will get the information from millers website.  would i be able to set the welder up for use at home? what kind of breaker would i need to use 50 amp?
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 04-16-2010 03:36
I would bet that the one you are looking at can be plugged into 230 single phase, print the owners manual out by using the SN# and make sure. I would suggest that you get in touch with a qualified electrician and set up your wiring if thats the direction you go. He/she can properly size everything you will need for a 230V plug. It's best to set it up for a 50Amp so you can use other equipment also in the future. You have to have the proper size wire for the distance and load it will be suppling.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-16-2010 03:42 Edited 04-16-2010 03:46
Here You go:

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2208am_mil.pdf

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o450n_mil.pdf

Note that there are other 304 manuals, this is the 230 volt capable machine.  

Note that there are several Big 40 manuals listed, this is just 1 of them.

Note that while the machine will draw 47.4 amps at 60% duty cycle rated single phase output [225 amps] the wiring chart calls for minimum #8 solid wire and 60 or 80 amp FUSE depending on type.

If it were Me, I would use #6 wire and a 60 amp breaker.

Will it run on a 50 amp breaker ? Sure, just don't use over 225 amps.
Parent - By Regmanager (**) Date 04-16-2010 13:22
XMT 304 will not run on any engine driven welding machine. The generators are not designed for that kind of load.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / problem miller xmt 304