Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW Stainless 304 to Zinc
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-16-2010 19:03
I need to tig a Zinc hose adapter to a peice of stainless tube. (.750" diameter) .063 wall) Any suggestions on filler material? I was thinking of a silicon bronze with stsinless filler. This hose is goning to be pressurized to 350 psi. I need to ensure that it is a sound weld.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2010 19:37
I'm a little unclear

Is the adaptor itself actually Zinc, or is the zinc a corrosion preventative plating/coating?

The melting point of Zinc is very low compared to stainless and makes me wonder about the advisability of any hot joining process.
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-16-2010 19:44
This is the description

Steel, Trivalent Chromium Zinc Finish

Does that help?
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 04-16-2010 20:45
Sounds like galvanized fitting.  Most things you see that are galvanized are steel with a zinc coating.  You weld the same as if you were just welding dissimilar metals, but since you have to insure high pressure, you should probably find out what kind of steel your working with, regardless if it's zinc coated or not.  If it is a fine high chromium steel, then use something like a 308 ss and you'll be fine.  Just lay a good bead in there first time, last forever.

The one thing about zinc coated steel and other metals coated with zinc or another forms of galvanization, they are basically electroplated and the zinc is scaley.  You can grind the zinc out but you will take some steel with it.  If you try to just weld over the zinc it will pop and backfire on you, bad if your tigging, can get away with it stick or wire.  I grind some and then brush with 6" mounted wire wheel.  The cleaner the galvanized the better.

Take Care
Steve
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-16-2010 20:50
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 04-17-2010 20:44
zinc coated parts are mostly steel, so if i was to join steel to stainless I would use 309L filler. In the highly unlikely case it might be a high chrome content steel, i would use an Inconel filler metal.
- By joe pirie (***) Date 04-17-2010 21:20
They don't make stainless hose adaptors??
Im pretty sure a good marine supply house would have one
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW Stainless 304 to Zinc