Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oops
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-20-2010 14:25
I connected a bottle of 98/2  into my argon manifold....

Everybody in the shop is mad at me today...

Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...Read the label...
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 14:50
LOL, Hey Lawrence...... Read the label. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-20-2010 15:58
Lawrence
What you didn't read the Label?
I pretty much keep the shop upset at me all the time. They seem to work harder when they have an attitude.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-20-2010 16:53
Yeah,

I had bulk liquid Ar running but it was empty this moring  (thanks nite class)   So I was quick hooking up backup bottles and missed the little orange stripe on the blue bottle and neglected to double check tags.

Good object lesson for the lads...  That ol Aluminum GTAW is a canery in the coal mine...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 18:09
The only people that never make mistakes are those that never do anything.

Based on the mistakes I make, I must be a very busy fellow!

When you catch up to my mistake count, let me know. That way I'll know you're busy too!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-21-2010 04:27
Hello Lawrence, it can happen pretty easily that's for sure. I ran into a similar type thing, however it was a mistake that a student had made. He came up and told me that he just couldn't figure out what was going on with his "welder", he claimed that one minute it was working fine and then the next minute it was welding like pooh. Made a trip to the booth, sat down and ran a bead with the FCAW gas shielded set-up, was like the arc was turbo charged and wouldn't wet out to the toes. Had slag islands and bare spots all over the bead, I thought for a moment and then asked that fateful question: what exactly have you done differently and have you changed anything? Of course, the response was, well I did change the gas, is that something major? I probably don't have to go too much further with this, the bottle was 100% argon, doesn't work too well with the flux-cored wire. Did have a few issues with our argon supply though, we're still using cylinders. In recent months we had 2 bottles of argon that were contaminated and as I believe you eluded to, aluminum will certainly bring out the nasties in poor shielding gas. It was quite apparent after working down the punchlist that we had some contamination going on, changed out the bottles and wah-lah problem solved.
     So you had a little chuckle this morning and likely your students did too(I'm sure they won't soon let you forget it), it's still a great learning moment and it'll provide that special bonding that us instructors so need with our students. Enjoyed the story Lawrence, best regards, Allan
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-21-2010 04:37
a few years back i had a ford dually rig with a 6.9 diesel  with twin tanks. I was going to be heading out of town
and im sent a helper to the gas station to fill up my rear tank.I was going up interstate 5 doing about 70 switched
the fuel tank from front to back truck ran for abot 5 mins when i heard a loud crashing of metal  truck  slowed to a crawl
i managed to get er off the road. when the tow truck got me back to the garage the mechanic went  OOPSSS who filled
your tank with gasoline.  they wanted 7500 to fix it . I scrapped it out and learned my lesson. OUCH
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-21-2010 16:12
That's not a mistake - that's a learning opportunity.  How else can you teach the class what not to do and why not?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-21-2010 16:35
Now when that new kid asks the question.... What happens when you..... "fill-in-the-blank"?

He'll have an answer for them....LOL
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-21-2010 16:46
Thanks Chet,

We had another nice long talk about it this morning when they asked me if we had the *right* gas today.

It led to another war story from many years ago when I had to make a bottle change late at night in an outdoor tank farm...  The 95/5  Ar/Hy  was right next to the 95/5 Hy/Ar, both bottles were the same paint job and had the same connector..  I hooked the 95/5 Hy/Ar up to our Micro-plasma and the dayshift had quite a surprise when they ignited the pilot arc....

I seem to have an innate ability to produce teachable moments!

Read the label!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oops