Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / vessel
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By weaver (***) Date 04-19-2010 23:48
I recieved a call today to weld in two weld bungs (collars) into a steel vessel. wall thickness is 3/4''  .  it's a treater , do i have to weld the inside too?, this vessel is used for crude oil, and gas, water etc.  I was planning to weld the inside, but maybe i don't have to...   regards to all
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-20-2010 00:26
Weld the inside. You will be better off.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 04-20-2010 01:37
if its on the hual you weld both sides. if on the cabin, you can weld just the outside. like cactus said weld both, just so you cover youself.  they dont want a doubler on the collars,
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 04:43
If you have to ask, should you take on the work?

What welding code/standard applies to the vessel?

Is there a welding code/standard that has jurisdiction over this tank?

Are you properly qualified to weld on this tank, i.e., do you have the necessary WPS and supporting PQR? Have passed the requisite performance tests?

Do you have an insurance policy to cover the work?

If your responses are: No. I don't know. I don't know. What's a WPS and PQR? Is that the same as a welder's certification? And finally, "What insurance, I don't need no stinking insurance." You didn't ask for my opinion on this matter, but you might need a lawyer's help in the near future.

Good luck. ;0

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 04-20-2010 19:57
hi al,  This is the first time i have welded something like this, yes i do carry a seven million dollar insurance rider, do have a 6gr cert, and is not my first day welding, just on this vessel.  I do very much appreciate the advice.  All you guys will forget  more than i will ever learn, i love this site. :).  i am going to sniff the vessel again for h2s and other gasses.  they have been steamed and cleaned for about a week now with the hatch's open..  regards to all and thanks again for the advice..
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 04-25-2010 19:20
Hey - just was reading this...   wondering if you know anywhere a guy can keep some horses / live in Williston area?  Working in Tioga presently - back in ND.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-26-2010 14:22
Go to Huggie's Bar in Williston. Talk to Huggie. He is the big Horse person in that area
Parent - By leterburn (**) Date 04-27-2010 01:16
Thanks Cactus, I'll give it a shot!  Anyone else in the area know of anything, that'd be good too - our horses will be up in ND from AL in a couple of weeks.....
Parent - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 04-21-2010 15:30
If you don't listen to anyone else, you should think long & hard about what Al has asked.  They are VERY important questions.

Do it wrong, or without the proper paperwork, and you could be cutting it out, or someone else with the proper paperwork will and back charge you for the work.  Most likely, this sounds like an ASME VIII vessel, these vessels have papers like a pedigree, and your weld could ruin that pedigree.  Does your $7m insurance cover faulty work?  Not saying you will put in a bad weld, or that you are a bad welder, I don't know you, you might be a great guy.... but just don't have the proper paperwork in order to do this repair.

Please don't take this the wrong way... trying to help you out.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-20-2010 12:21 Edited 04-20-2010 17:21
By the tense of the verbs you're using (IT IS a treater, the vessel IS used) looks like the vessel is in service and contains crude oil vapors and flammable gas.
So, attention, be careful! Welding on those vessels isn't easy; an explosion will certainly occur if special precautions aren't taken. There's an API Recommended Practice to weld on vessels containing flammable gases. API is the American Petroleum Institute. You can search it at www.api.org
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 18:10
Good advise!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 18:31
I'd take seriously the advice Al and Giovanni are offering. There is liability if you don't do it in compliance with the code and real danger if you don't do it with proper methods. The questions being asked seem to be an indication that you need much more preparation prior to this project.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 04-20-2010 18:50
I have welded on hundreds of crude tankers both Aluminum and carbon and have yet to see one with a 3/4" shell thickness? If I were to venture a guess I would assume that this vessel is exposed to pressure. The shop I worked for at the time welded to API and ASME standards and they could be very involved as we all know. I'm sure you already know this but all the info should be on the the manufactures identification plate affixed to the vessel. Proper degassing is the only way I ever welded on a tanker, one big bang and it's all over!
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 04-20-2010 19:58
yes it is. 280psi. seven ft tall and twenty ft long
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-21-2010 12:25
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what we are talking about here. Is this an ASME Section VIII Code pressure vessel?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-22-2010 03:23
If it is a coded vessel or is to be returned to pressure service, you are not qualified to weld on it. However if this guy picked up a vessel which has been removed from service because it is not a coded vessel and he is going to use it for say a free water knock out or something operating at atmospheric pressure and not heated, then weld away. In the later case it only has to hold shelled corn. But if it is going to operate at greater than 20 psi and over 100 degrees, you better pass.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 04-22-2010 13:42
for the sake of conservation, which test qualifies a welder to weld on a pressure vessel,?
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-22-2010 15:32
It is not a test you will need but an R stamp to work on it from what I am understanding. And getting a stamp is a long road you are far better of to hook up with an outfit that already has one.
Parent - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 04-22-2010 20:12
"IF" the vessel is an ASME vessel and you are repairing it according to your "R" stamp, your welding test would have to be in accordance with ASME Sec IX for the process, material type, and thickness you are using and welding on.  And that is only according to ASME & NBIC.  If it's API, a whole different set of parameters could apply (I don't do many API jobs, someone else can fill you in there).

And it goes more in depth than that also, not only could you have to weld it inside and out, based on the calculations you need to do, you might also have to bevel the tank shell and make a full penetration weld also.... just depends on a lot of parameters.  You can't just slap a weld on it and be done with it on a pressure vessel.  You have to know the part you are putting in and the weld you are putting it, meets or exceeds the original design conditions of the vessel.

Basically, there is not "one" single test you have to take.

So, have you made the repair already, if so, how did you do it?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-22-2010 23:51
It is not just a welding test one has to have to repair pressure vessels but welder qualification would fall under ASME Section IX, as would the WPS and PQR. You need a ASME "R" stamp and all that entails. I am in no way saying you are not capable to doing this. But making a weld in a pressure vessel that will be put back in service is more involved than just cutting a hole in the shell and welding it on both sides.
Again this comes down to the service. The owner can do what ever they want with it and they can let you weld on it any way you want. But if it has a tag and a U1 that follows the vessel, the owner is destroying any future value the vessel will have.
A U1 looks like this :http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Codes/Publications/BPVC/2938.pdf
These follow every ASME Coded vessel. All repairs and alterations will require updating the U1 by the "R" shop.
And there is a liability issue if there is a failure. If the owner understands you are not qualified repair agency and does not have the documentation to do the work and they say go ahead, then have at it. Just be sure you have documentation they are assuming the liability and understand the consequences of you making this weld.
Then you need to know what the shell material is so you can make a proper weld.
And required NDT
etc
Etc
ETC
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 04-20-2010 23:51
hey man, you like working on the boats.  ive been doing it for almost 3 yrs.  i hate it.  we go by ASME too, thickest ive been on is 3/8 but have yet to see one pressureized.  them work boats that are over 50 yrs old and the only thing holding them together is rust and they want you to weld to that rust and for it to hold a life time.  inserts are the best though.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2010 13:49
No one has defined what a treater is or what it does.

I admit I'm a dummy. Can someone explain what this vessel is, what it does, how it works, what the operating parameters are, materials of construction (material specification), etc.? It will be an education for "Good o'l Al, the dummy."

It is difficult to give good detailed advice without knowing the particulars of the problem.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-22-2010 14:31
If this is a vessel operating at 280psi wouldn't you need some kind of "R" stamp
issued by ASME to perform any repair or modifications to this Vessel ??
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2010 17:01
I would think it depends on the location of the vessel and the operating parameters.

Not every location has adopted ASME and repairs or modifications may or may not be covered by a different code. The National Board requirements may apply or API might have different requirements for such use.

I would like to believe the insurence carrier of the owner would insist on some minimum code requirements be met. That information may not be passed along to the welder if the contractor involved is only interested in getting the job done quickly.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-22-2010 20:35
The Bottom line is this. IF it is not an ASME or API Facility. With an Inspector who is equally qualified to inspect such a weld it doesnt matter anyway. If the Customer is satisfied with the job at hand then it is a Qualified weld. I AM NOT saying that any Joe Blow should be out welding on Vessles. But, Weaver is a Qualified welder who welds in the Oilfield on a Daily basis. He sets Wellheads, Welds on stand pipe, etc.... Some of those lines are in excess of 10,000 psi. If his welds are qualified fir those applications then he is certainly qualified to weld a 280 psi Vessel. I am quite sure that there is not ONE welder in here that welds EVERY WELD he has ever made, strictly by the "Code". And I can promise you there is more than one of the "Certified Welders" running around with either No Papers or Expired Papers and they make "Qualified " welds every day.                            This should open up a "Big Ol' Can of Worms" !
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2010 20:53
That's alright Cactus, you're from Texas. While Texas joined the Union, they never quite joined the rest of the world. ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-22-2010 22:40
Al,
not living in the USA, I didn't understand your irony. Could you explain it to me. Thankyou.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-23-2010 02:03
Professor Crisi,
  With all due respect, if you did not understand, how can you label it ironic? :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-23-2010 21:04
This is the second or third time this happens to me in this Forum. You see, jrw, we Latins reason in a different manner than you Anglo Saxons do. Here in Brazil, if Pedro said to Antonio that he (Antonio) or his countrymen "have joined Brazil but didn't join the rest of the world", the phrase would be definetely considered ironic: Pedro is joking at Antonio's origin. Why didn't Antonio's countrymen join the rest of the world? What happened with them? Are they so bad?
In this case, I understood perfectly every single word of Al's post to Cactus, but I didn't understand the MEANING of it: why didn't Texans join the rest of the world?
It goes without saying that there was no intention from my part to offend anybody.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-24-2010 03:49
Professor Crisi,
   I understand. I do not think you have offended anyone my friend, especially me.

What you are looking for is what Paul Harvey Sr. liked to call "The Rest Of The Story".

As for the story, it is a long one.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-22-2010 22:43
We like it that way !
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-22-2010 21:48
I don't think anybody is taking a shot a Weaver...  He asked a good question.

The answers are also good...  To be ignored at peril.

The customer will be satisfied.... Until something goes wrong... If it does than all Hell will break loose.

The customer being satisfied with non coded welders (not qualified for that particular job, while possibly qualified for others) is the same tipe of customer attitude you usually castigate for undercutting rig hands....  Believe me if the welder is going to be qualified and things like "R" stamps should be involved, it costs quite alot more money than a guy comming and "welding it up, inside and out"

If the work requires code welds and a paper trail on the repair..  "Which has NOT been established in this thread unless I missed something"   Than just welding it up is undercutting the people who ought to be doing the job.  

Speaking of cans of worms.....  Gonna have a full weekend of Crappie fishin this weekend .....  Yep!

Just because the owner may not care about compliance right now... Doesnt mean he wouldn't turn his lawyers/dogs loose if something were to go amiss.

Dwayne don't you usually rail against this kind of stuff?   Is it really any different just because you know the welder is excellent?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-22-2010 23:08
Usually, I do rail against, However in this case, I think Other things than "The Code" need to be considered. RE: This is Field Work. By an Independent Welder. There are no Inspectors to speak of. Weaver, on the otherhand, DID ask a good question. MOST of the field work that I am involved in is very simple to verify. If it is critical, X-Ray it. End of story. Pass or Fail. It's simple. I don't know WEAVER other than speaking with him on here. I have read many of his post. Judgeing by those post, I would hire him on the spot, no questions ask. I could be wrong, it happened once before. Anyway,I did weld for awhile in North Dakota (Hell). I am VERY familiar with the way things work up there. "R" Stamp ? Good Luck ! I know that Weaver is setting a good price. Finding a welder with an R stamp running around North Dakota (Hell) in a Rig Truck could be a tall order. Anyway. Does it make a difference if I know the Welder is Excellent ? To me, Yes it does. Example, I haven't seen Rick Harnish in a Year. But if I got a call RIGHT NOW and needed a welder to weld a Pipe Containing.........?????  Nuclear Waste. And this Welder need to be the best and he needed to be certified out the Wazoo. I would send Rick in a second, never look at his papers, and never think twice. WHY ?  Because he IS that good. So, yes , it makes a difference

Now with that being said. I hope you catch all you can carry home ! Me ? I fish off of my back porch. All the Catfish I want are in my pond !
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-22-2010 23:58
I think there is a difference an a welder capable of making a weld and one qualified. I am quite capable of making weld but all my qualifications lapsed years ago.
The problem with Joe Blow making the weld would come if there is a failure or the vessel is sold. If this is a coded vessel and the U1 does not show a nozzle and there is no documentation that shows the nozzle was installed properly by a qualified repair organization you can have the value of a $100K vessel be worth scrap.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2010 00:15
Cactus,
I am confused.
You speak about Weaver being a "Qualified" welder and welding wellheads and pipes everyday.
Weaver has stated he holds a 6GR certificate which unless I am mistaken is AWS D1.1 Structural.
This does not make him "qualified" to weld on anything that is certified to ASME or API

"This is the first time i have welded something like this, yes i do carry a seven million dollar insurance rider, do have a 6gr cert,"

Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-23-2010 01:44
Can you tell me what a API test consist of ? I know the answer. I have run a few API yards as well as ASME shops.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2010 01:54
Cactus,
I am not sure what you are meaning.
6GR is not an API test, it is AWS D1.1.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-23-2010 09:42
It could have  just as easily been an API test had he have taken it in an API Facility.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-23-2010 01:51 Edited 04-23-2010 02:11
I agree Shane... 6GR is an AWS qualification, not ASME Section IX... Now I'm not familiar with all of API's welding procedure qualifications enough to know whether or not it has a similar qualification based on the same joint configuration as a 6GR, and they use the same name, so if someone can clarify that for me and the rest of us, then please do so. ;)

A pressure vessel is a pressure vessel is a pressure vessel... Meaning: that the weld repair in question, the primary responsibility of this repair is to withstand certain operating pressures up to, and beyond the operating design limit with a certain level of engineered safety built in the design of the vessel and repair in question, and it doesn't matter which code it falls under or not...

If it fails because someone decided that it was good enough just visually without taking this into consideration of testing the weld along with verifying the soundness of the weld repair by properly developing a validated repair welding procedure which included at least one method of Non Destructive Testing which would prove that there would be no defects in the repair, and the base metal surrounding the repair prior to depositing the repair weld if the procedure was followed properly, or an acceptable amount of discontinuities within the repair welds to still be able to accept the repair by a competent welding, mechanical, petroleum engineer who understands NDT very well and/or at the very least, hydro test the vessel to prove that the repair can indeed hold and not fail to the operating pressure by testing it to a higher test pressure, then whoever it is that's doing the repair is setting themselves up for a lawsuit regardless of the amount of liability insurance they may be carrying!!! :) :) :)

In other words, if the repair fails and your customer decide to sue you for shoddy workmanship, and if the lawyers of the plaintiff can prove that you did not take the route of employing sound, best engineering practices in the repair of this vessel, then the insurance company not only will have to pay, but you also may have a real hard time in the future to buy any more insurance because the insurance company that previously covered you will drop you like a rock, and the other companies will now know about you, and either not bother to take a risk with you, or charge you up the wazoo in order for you to have any coverage at all!!! :( :( :( And that's a best case scenario especially if no one gets hurt as a result of the failure, but if somebody does??? Then you can kiss your business goodbye!!! And possibly face new living quarters if you catch me drift!!! ;)

If I were you, I would err on the side of caution and consult with a competent engineer as well as with the customer to clear up this uncertainty so that all parties are satisfied and no one gets put in a position that could potentially harm their respective future. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-23-2010 02:58
Please forgive me for jumping into a thread where I have NO knowledge but I have a question... In my business if there is something that scares me or I don't trust the customer "Sue happy people"... I tell them...I am capable of doing this job but Not qualified on paper... I am happy to do the job to the best of my abilities if you will sign and notarize a release of liability contract... I will start the job 30seconds after that paper is in hand.... Is that not an option with this kind of work...

Sorry if that's a dumb question I'm just curious

RC
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2010 03:40 Edited 04-23-2010 04:17
Hello Giovanni;

You may not know the history of the Glorious State of Texas, but you caught on to the fact that I was having a little fun at the expense of our friend Cactus.

Texas was an independent country after a bit of a tussle with Mexico. Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and the rest of the gallant gentlemen of Texas fought the Mexicans, beat Santa Anna's army, and won their independence.

Texas joined the United State after a bit, but only after negotiating certain terms no other state enjoys. Texas is Texas; there is no other state in the Union quite like them.

I posted several questions, but no one has answered them yet. The big question is whether the job or the tank falls under the jurisdiction of the National Board or API. There is the possibility there is no governing body, in which case the Farm Code would be just as applicable as Section VIII of ASME and the National Board or API.

I claim no expertise in the area of oil field work, but in the event there is no jurisdiction by ASME, National Board, or API, I would expect the owner has insurance that covers the machinery and associated piping, vessels, etc. I would not be surprised if the insurance policy contains clauses that stipulated the owner’s responsibilities for maintenance, modifications, and repairs. The policy more than likely references a code such as National Board, API, or ASME for such modifications or repairs on pressure vessels and piping systems. To ignore those stipulations could have major consequences if there was a failure due to the modifications made to the vessel. Even if the welds were perfect and met the code acceptance criteria, there is still the question of the design and modifications made. As the welder, I would look for the seal and approval of a P.E. to provide some level of assurance the modification is not going to affect the integrity of the vessel.

Part of being a good businessman is to recognize the risks involved in any job. To ignore those risks or worse yet, not knowing the risks involved and the financial ramifications can put an end to a thriving business. It happens every day. When it happens, lawyers hire people called "Expert Witnesses" to dig through the wreckage and follow the paper trail. I am currently involved in a case where the fabricator made a material substitution without the owner's consent. Some rather expensive equipment crashed to the floor during installation because the supporting structure failed. My job is to examine the debris and follow the paper trail. The paper trail showed the substitution was not authorized, the fabricator's welders were not qualified for the welding process, they did not have any WPSs, the quality of the welds did not meet the acceptance criteria of the code, etc. The bottom line is the lawyers are having a field day. The fabricator will pay dearly for his mistakes, all of which could have been easily avoided.  

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-23-2010 12:29 Edited 04-24-2010 02:05
OILFIELD APPLICATION INFO ON API CERTIFICATIONS. It seems as though some are confused on what an API stamp is needed for. The API stamp is for a FACILITY to be able to stamp their product. It has VERY little to do with welding procedures or test. An API Welding test can consist of nothing more than a simple Fillet weld if that is what they choose to give. The certification has more to do with Traceability  of products. As far as Oilfield equipment goes, Only SOME of the components are Mandatory to be built be API rules, EVEN when done in a API Facility. The Sub and Derrick on a Drilling rig are the required components to be certified API on a rig.  The rest of the Rig can be built any way you want. The API stamp is only NEEDED if you want to ship the product Overseas. About 75% of the Drilling rigs in the US, ARE NOT certified by API. Patterson UTI for Example. They buy subs and Derricks from DSI and NOV. They have a Stamp. Then Patterson brings the components to their yard. THEN they cut it and weld it the way they want to. Patterson does not even test their welders, PERIOD. All of the API mumbo jumbo is just that. It is a Paper Trail System that the office must use. Nothing more. I am sure that the ASME stamp for a Vessel shop is similar to this but Im not 100% on this. As far as a Welding test and Procedure goes in an API yard goes, It can be ANYTHING they choose it to be. My papers say API on them. They are 6G.6010 root & hot  7018 out.   A 6gr would be a harder test to pass if you ask me. Besides that, If I hire a "CERTIFIED" Welder.  and he brings me his Test Papers for EXXON on a Pipe job he did. They are Worthless on my job unless I TEST HIM to the same procedure. So, in Essence, It doesn't matter how big of a test you take. It is only good on the job you are working on at the time you test.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2010 14:37
Cactus,
With all due respect I have to disagree with you.
If you are welding on a pipeline that is fabricated in accordance with API 1104 then you must follow the requirements for welder qualification listed in API 1104. There is no such thing as 6GR in API 1104. 6GR is 6G with a restriction ring and that is AWS D1.1 Structural - nothing to do with pipelines or oilfields.
If you are fabricating in accordance with API 650 then welders must be qualified to ASME IX. Again, there is no 6GR in ASME IX.
If you are welding structural on an oil rig it may well fall under AWS D1.1 and then 6GR is applicable.
If the vessel the OP mentioned was an ASME or API vessel then a 6GR welder qualification is worthless.
The OP may be an excellent welder but as many of the forum members have noted if something ever happened the lawyers would have a field day.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-23-2010 14:58 Edited 04-23-2010 15:01
Like I said. IN OILFIELD APPLICATIONS. Drilling Rigs, I do not work on Pipelines so I am not current on the procedures with it. I am VERY update on API yards and Procedures. It not only covers Structural but all of the High Pressure Pipeing as well.   BTW 6GR is generally used  in Maritime applications. It is a favorite test for ABS and the US COAST GUARD
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2010 15:12
Cactus,
I will bash my head against the wall one more time and then give up.
6GR or 6gr is a structural weld test applicable to AWS D1.1 only.
It does not cover you for welding pressure piping of any sort.
As far as I am aware all pressure piping in the States is to ASME or API and neither of those codes accept AWS qualifications.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-23-2010 15:24
Strange I have welded more than one stick of pressure pipe under my 6GR and also have qualified to weld for companies with R stamps to do there field repairs. The only difference is when I qualify for a code vessel sometimes not all I have a tig root and the test is 2"XX. I also just renewed my 6G because my CWI switched companies and the Feds seem to be ok with me welding pipe.  However I will agree that when I have tested for code vessel work it does fall under ASME or API what I am wondering is if does not cover pressure pipe why are there so many of us doing these welds under AWS D1.1.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2010 15:28
Shane/Cactus,
...maybe there is a definition disconnect going on?.... I take it that the 6G is a welding "position" normally associated with a D1.1 pipe (6GR) test with a restrictor ring, however I am "assuming"(I know what they say about using that word...LOL) that ASME and API may also have a similar test "position" to qualify welders, and maybe they call it something else? I have no clue what Section IX has to say about any of this....so bear with me.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-23-2010 17:19
Shane is right. There is no 6GR as such under ASME or API. However, the others are right as well. The thing is, neither ASME or API care about the restrictor plate. There is no such language in ASME or API. They don't even address it or prohibit it. If you wanna put a plate on there put a plate on there. Its still a 6G under ASME, and the qual would be subject to the ASME Essential variables.
If you took the specimens out of the right location you are good. If you didn't then you are non compliant regardlless of what anybody accepts.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-23-2010 17:43
Thats the point I was trying to get across in a previous post. You can give ANY test you want to as long as a procedure is written for the test and weld. Once again. I am talking about Rigs, Not a pipeline.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 04-23-2010 23:35
By this time I think I would have done just what Cactus would have done,grab some 5p+,weld in the root,inside and out,grab some dry 7018,weld inside and out and be done with it and move on to the next job. Field work is almost as fast paced as drilling rig work,get it done yesterday.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / vessel
1 2 Previous Next