Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 9-year Recertification
- - By Carter Date 04-26-2010 23:10
Anybody have any advice on preparing for the 9-year recert.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-27-2010 23:12
Take an endorsement examination rather than the part B examination.

Taking the part B exam only maintain the status quo. Taking an endorsement examination such as AWS D1.5, ASME Section IX, B31.1 and B31.3, high strength bolting, etc. expands you employment opportunities.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 04-28-2010 14:10
What is the endorsement examination?  Where is this information?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2010 15:38 Edited 04-28-2010 15:44
I agree with Al as to taking an 'Endorsement Exam'.  You can find them on the main part of the website here.  Click on the above link for AWS Website, go to the certifications tab, in there you will find info to link to the Endorsement Exams in the center of the page in blue titled 'CWI/SCWI Endorsement Exams'.  There are other links there with the info also.  In fact, you will need to go to the applications, fees, schedules pages to get some of the info.  It is rather scattered through the various sections.  AND, you will need to look at the QC1 and other specs on the quals and specs for inspectors to see some of the info on what tests can be taken and how they apply as well as what other activities qualify.

BUT, the Bolting Exam does not count for a complete exchange of exams as does taking the API 1104, D1.6, D1.5, or others mentioned by Al.  (As per Joe Kane and Certification Dept)  So if you are down to the wire on time do not try for the Bolting.  If you do have time, the Bolting can be a nice addition but you will have to find other things that count as your points per QC1 so you don't have to take the Part B.  Check out Jim Shore's fine article in the latest 'Inspection Trends' on Five Tips to Help You Keep Your Certification.  Many good points to make you more rounded and eliminate the dreaded Part B 9 yr recert exam.

You can also get some of this info in a thread in the Structural Bolting Section titled 'AWS Bolting Inspector Exams'.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2010 22:47
The bolting endorsement alone may not be sufficient, so consider the drawing (blueprint reading) examination in conjunction with the bolting endorsement.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-29-2010 14:01
Just looked back through my notes on the Bolting Endorsement, it only applies for 20% of the points for re-certification.

I'm not sure but I think the Print Reading is either 80 or 100% which would combine with the Bolting for enough to get the re-cert.  I would verify that with AWS before banking on it to get re-certified and then find you didn't have enough points.  Even if my memory is in error and the Print reading is less than 80%, there are many other things that also add to your points to qualify you for re-certification.  Check out the info on PDH's in QC1 and in Jim Shore's article, previously mentioned, in the latest Inspection Trends.

I was told AWS is in the process of establishing a Special Inspector/Structural Inspector Exam which would have mandatory pre-requisites of CWI with D1.1, Print Reading, & Bolting.  It may come into play this year or next if things work out.  It takes a lot of volunteer and staff hours to put one of these together.  This info is in the thread on Structural Bolting Inspector Exams in the Structural Bolting section and came from Joe Kane.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 9-year Recertification