Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / weld failure analysis
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 05-01-2010 16:53
hello everyone
can anyone help me with how to analyze the failure in weld by sharing a pdf or any hints ?
thank you
Parent - - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 08-16-2010 08:00
Here are the few steps which may lead you to dig out the failure mechanism and perform analysis to avoid recurrence in future.
1. Collect the information regarding this failure from the people at the location
2. Operating conditions at the time of weld failure
3. Collect all the data related to the weld like welding procedure qualification, procedure qualification record, inspection reports (RT, MT, PT etc.)
4. Compare the intended design conditions for the weld joint and the service conditions at the time of failure
5. Start with a naked eye visual testing along with your experienced inspectors
6. Perform applicable NDTs on the fractured surfaces which may reveal presence of any crack
7. See for direction of failure (from which end it may have initiated, see chevron marks)
8. Conduct microscopic / metallography tests to evaluate the mode of weld failure
9. Compile all the information and then conclude
10. Remember, collection of data is the key to perform any failure analysis. Get as much data as you can.

Regards,
Ashfaq
http://thepetrostreet.com
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-16-2010 08:19
11. Do inspection during welding.
12. Don't hire wankers to do the welding

- By Len Andersen (***) Date 08-17-2010 19:19
Ladies and Gentlemen:
       I have seen many weld failures. You asked the question in May and I hope you have gotten some good information since. Calling an AWS staff engineer at 305-443-9353 might help you refine your question. Presuming SMAW stick welding my initial guesses would be poor dry rod practice or no preheat. Looking at the failed weld would give me an idea which. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen    www.lenandersen.com
212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / weld failure analysis