Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / A picture is worth a thousand words
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-05-2010 20:28
How much more is demanded?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 21:14
If that is the real sign that was photographed, and not some Adobe photo-shop embellishment which can easily be used to insert and alter words and artwork in any photograph these days, then those people are jerks as well as being able to spell better and write clearer than most Americans do! ;) Now if that isn't an obvious detail that should easily stand out as being somewhat disingenuous, skeptical, to be looked at with cynicism and finally, one cannot help but question the authenticity of those words used in that sign...

However, if it is true, then listing the source of the photo would be a good start in convincing me the authenticity of this photo... I would also have to condemn the very intent of the message in that sign if it is indeed truly a part of their demands!!! I would also like to be the first to confront them by asking for their DD-214's, or a copy at the very least, and if they couldn't produce them, I would certainly tell them to take a long walk off a short pier with those demands!!!

Now, this would be my conclusion as long as I was furnished indisputable proof that the sign's words were not inserted into the picture by the use of Adobe photo-shop!!!
Until that is verified to me, I am very skeptical as to the authenticity of the words shown in that sign found in the photograph.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 05-06-2010 02:15 Edited 05-06-2010 02:19
I wonder of  whom these people think   "America"  is made?

How's that Henry?  Proper English and correct spelling!
No photo-shopping stuff here!

Griff
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 02:22
You're too funny there Griff!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 05-06-2010 02:18
Henry, you are asking for identification papers! You said you are against papers. 
What is going on here?

Griff
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 03:12
I'm not saying that the photo is or isn't doctored, yet I'm skeptical because of the unusually well written message with respect to their command of English spelling...

So what i did was to copy the image and sent it to a good friend of mine who is far more knowledgeable than either myself or the person in the link describing the photo as not being a fake!!! My friend is a photo-shop expert and should be able to easily determine whether or not the photo was indeed doctored or not...

Now please don't tell me that my skepticism regarding the authenticity of the photo is the same as a law enforcement officer being suspicious of the authenticity of my own Drivers license, because my Drivers license would be something they can certainly have in their own possession and study to look for any indicators that may or may not raise their own level of suspicion of my license potentially being fraudulent... This photo is not something on paper because it is nothing more than an electronic image with certain indicators which can tell someone who knows more than myself or the person in the link whether or not the image has been doctored or not!

Just because the person who's posting this image on their own blog which is what the link is, doesn't mean diddly to me when it comes to proving the authenticity of the photograph because it is very easy to alter an electronic image by using a simple software application such as Adobe Photo-shop or another similar application with the same types of features and capabilities... In other words you're talking about apples and oranges here when you compare the two... So until I get a response from my friend who just happens to be an expert in photo editing, I'll reserve judgement regarding the authenticity of the photograph!

Nonetheless, this doesn't mean at all that I approve of the message written in the sign found in the photo, and you should have already read what I thought of the message in my first response to the OP... I may not be from Missouri,  but my Momma raised me well enough to "Show Me" some real proof, and so far all I've seen and read is here-say.

I'll let you know what my friend comes up with just as soon as I get his report back from him, because he can break down the photo down to knowing exactly when the photo was taken and if indeed there was any sort of editing done to the photo beyond what is considered normal such as cropping or getting the red-eye out, sharpening, brightening or darkening the photo - CAPECHE??? So when I know, you'll know... In the meantime I'm not going to rule out the possibility just on a word of mouth from a blog.

These days anyone can post a blog online as a website without requiring them to be completely honest when they post something like a photo without validating the authenticity of the photo in their blog, or write something that's nothing more than a set of perspectives based on their own opinions... Shoot! I can sell you a used car that was exposed to the flooding during hurricane Katrina, and unless you insist on reading the CARFAX report on the vehicle, I can tell you virtually anything I want short of what this car has actually been through without anything to validate what I told you ,and you'll just have to take my word for it... Well Griff, no offense towards anyone here, but until I get some independent validation which obviously indicates the authenticity of the photograph, I'll just remain skeptical if you don't mind. ;)

This is different from a law enforcement officer being able to validate the authenticity of my drivers license since the license is a document that will indeed exhibit to the officer tangible evidence as to whether or not the the license is authentic or not via certain indicators that aid the officer in validating the license, or determining that the license is fraudulent, because the law officer will have already have gone through required training  from experts beforehand in order to determine and validate licenses and other forms of identification, although things aren't always perfect all the time! ;) Holographic images found in most state licenses are practically impossible to counterfeit, and my license has that anti-fraud feature which makes it easy to determine the authenticity of the document.

An electronic image as shown on the other hand can be easily layered many times over so that it even looks authentic especially to the untrained eye, and someone that doesn't know how to break the image down to it's basic components in order to determine whether or not the image has been doctored, or altered beyond the common photo-editing techniques used to enhance the quality, yet not alter the picture/image in question.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / A picture is worth a thousand words