Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW weld test and baking for hydrogen removal
- - By james destefano Date 05-02-2010 21:16
does anybody know at what temperature and how long to bake hydrogen out of a weld test 1" FCAW 
any input will help thanks
Parent - By james destefano Date 05-03-2010 12:12
the test facility takes the completed test coupons and puts them in the rod oven for 3-4 days, they are trying to say this bakes out trapped hydrogen, I am starting to think the three days are giving the test time to develop hydrogen stress cracks. this is for a 1" bend test specimen.
any more input would help. thanks
- - By weldit1 Date 05-03-2010 02:20
James, moisture is baked out of the filler metal before welding, not the finished test coupon. Give us more specific details about your concerns.

Regards, Gary
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 10:39
A hydrogen bake-out can be performed at 550 to 650 degrees. Heat the test piece and hold it at the required temperature for several hours.

Hydrogen can cause in "fisheyes" in the tensile test speciman resulting in lower than expected test results.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 16:02
You most likely took your test on A36 plate, possibly A572, but A572 is more expensive, so why would the lab pay the extra money for test plates.

Hydrogen is not a major problem if you use FCAW electrode unless it was very old. Who supplied the welding equipment and the electrode? I ask because I stopped providing the welder machine and the electrode long ago. Most welders have their own machine and their favorite electrode, so why waste my space and money to see the equipment collect dust.

If the electrode has been sitting around unwrapped or has been left on the machine for a period of days it can pick up moisture. However, A36 is very accommodating and not particularly susceptible to hydrogen cracking. The high strength low alloy steels are more susceptible to delayed cracking when the joints are highly restrained, and the quenched and tempered steels are even more so. Again, I doubt the lab is providing the later because of the cost involved.

The laboratory is doing you a favor by keeping it in an oven for several days. The process is called “aging” and it is permitted (not required) by AWS D1.1. Most laboratories don’t bother aging the samples unless hydrogen is a concern and the sample is to be tensile tested. The elevated temperature allows any diffusible hydrogen time to escape before subjecting the test piece to destructive tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By james destefano Date 05-05-2010 16:17
Al thanks for the info. what it the temperature that the piece should be aged at my test facility uses a typical rod oven I think at 225 f is that enough heat to age the metal?
again any info. is helpful
thanks
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 16:37
225 f is to cold to let hydrogen diffuse.

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 02:13 Edited 05-06-2010 02:16
You can age the test plate at 200 to 225 degrees for 46 to 50 hours per D1.1-2008, clause 4.2.2.

Hydrogen will diffuse at room temperature, but at a slower rate. Aging is performed at a relatively low temperature; a hydrogen bake-out is performed at a higher temperature. The higher the temperature, the less time needed for the atomic hydrogen to diffuse into the atmosphere.

Best regards - Al
- - By Sberry (***) Date 05-06-2010 18:18
Just out of curiosity, how does it diffuse out of a sealed weld?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 18:44
Hydrogen atoms are really tiny and they escape through the atomic structure of steel...if given the chance.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 22:59
Once again.

Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-07-2010 02:07
What John said is true. Now the rest of the story:

When 2 hydrogen ATOMS meet, they form a MOLECULE which can not move through steel.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW weld test and baking for hydrogen removal