Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CAD / CAM
- - By mechan (**) Date 05-07-2010 06:55
Not specifically welding related, but maybe someone has some wisdom they could share! We are setting up a new CNC mill in my shop, it is a Haas MiniMill (http://www.haascnc.com/details.asp?ID=MINIMILL&webid=VMC_MINIVMC#VMCTreeModel) and we need a CAD / CAM package. I have a lot of experience with Solid Edge and Surfcam, however; I dislike the newest version of Solid Edge, (the old versions are great and easy to use, but the synchronous technology software suite leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion), and Surfcam isn't the most user friendly software package for CAM applications. I am looking for either an integrated package like SolidWorks / CamWorks or a separate CAD and CAM setup. This is the first time that CNC or even CAD / CAM is being introduced to most of the members in the shop, so a package with the smallest learning curve is preferred. Price isn't really an object at this point for the software suite. At a later date a CNC lathe, (most likely Haas branded as well), and CNC water jet are going to be integrated into the shop, so the CAM software needs to have good compatibility with turning operations and water jet cutting operations. (If anyone has a good NSN # for a small water jet the info would be much appreciated, haha :D )

Thanks
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 05-07-2010 20:18
Have you looked into BobCAD-Cam? I played with it about 10-years ago, don't remember much about it.

http://www.bobcadcam.com/
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-10-2010 21:10
every time I've changed jobs,  I've changed CAD/CAM pacakages.  Really they are all very similar currently I use the autodesk inventor suite, and NX.  In my experience the learning curve on all the programs are very similar and it really depends on the aptitude and computer saviness of the student.   Also all the major CAD programs have plug ins to work with major CAM software.

Personally I would recommend inventor, partly because it's what I know best but also because it has pretty good integration and content management and a good feature set. But honestly just about all the major software packages can do the same thing.

I would try the forums at www.practicalmachinist.com for some more info on good CAM software. I've used solid edge before, most 2d cutting systems have their own proprietary software packages that integrate with standard software or files.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-11-2010 00:27
Nobody likes Master-CAM in here??? I wonder why???

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CAD / CAM