Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Congratulations Stephan
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 15:43
Good morning everyone!

I can't help myself. I've been debating with myself for the last day. Do I share some good news or do I wait until our good friend shares it with you. However I know Stephan and he isn't one to crow about his achievements, so I'm going to anounce the good news!

Stephan just passed his last two examinations at Cambridge. He just finished his studies for his Masters Degree for Welding Engineering!

I haven't said anything about his absence from the forum, but I can understand his priorities, study first, play later. I can only imagine how hard it was to work his full time job, take care of family matters, and travel between Germany and England for his studies.

Congratulations Stephan!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 15:45
A formal Congrats is in order...WTG Stephan!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 16:04
He is a very good man and even though we've never met, I consider him a great friend!  Way to go, Stephan!!!  He is well on his way to being one of the welding GIANTS in our industry!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-13-2010 16:10
That's great news Stephan.  My congratulations to you.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 16:16
Stephan is a class act, congratualtions to him, and hopefully soon he will continue to contribute.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2010 16:28
Woot!

Impressed.....  But not really surprised.   Stephan is a heavyweight.

Looking forward to his return...  We have a brand new Fronius to be delivered any day now..  Looking forward to picking his brain as we do trials.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 17:10
Congratulations Stephan!!! :-) I am so very glad to hear that this is the cause of his being missing as of late. I am really looking forward to hearing from him again.

jrw159
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-13-2010 17:14
Congratulations! A rewarding career is waiting for you!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-13-2010 17:50
Congrats Stephan!  I'm always impressed by his technical welding knowledge, something I look forward to having one day.

a guess it's motivation for me to get back on towards studying for my masters...
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-13-2010 19:53
Congrats Stephan, but don't think your done learning yet! :)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-13-2010 20:10
Holy cow I had no idea, good for him.  that is quit an acomplishment, congrats
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 05-13-2010 21:01
Congratulations, Stephan.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-13-2010 22:09
Congrats Stephan and thanks for sharing Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-14-2010 00:01
Congratulations, Stephan.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 01-30-2011 11:07
Dear Al,
dear friends,

as I decided to reply on this kind message I was automatically informed by "the system" that the post I intend to reply to, is already 262 days old and whether I would have a "good reason" to nevertheless reply.

I would say, yes!

I must apologise for that tremendously long time I was unable to attend "THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM" (quote ssbn727).

However, NOW it's really done, as it is officially approved!

I kindly would like to inform you that I have sucessfully passed the MSc Welding Engineering study.

And... to my own surprise I have even done quite well. At least, not that bad for a 47 year old "plain and simple" mind, always proud of being a welder, however! :-)

I thank you all for your kind 262 days "old" congratulations and I look very much forward to future attending the forum a little more frequently again!

May God bless all of you!

Your German forum-fellow member and friend,
Stephan

P.S. To just briefly reply on 'METARINKAS' kind question for my thesis title. It is referred to: "The Gas Metal Spray Arc - An Investigation on Streaming Transfer". You know, I have followed my overwhelming passion for arc physics! :-)

P.P.S. Thanks Al! :-)
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-30-2011 14:26
Well done Stephan,
Best Wishes,
Shane
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-30-2011 15:16
I'm happy for you Stephan!

I think about you each time we crank up our most excellent Fronius super-welder.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-30-2011 16:16
Best Wishes with the Degree Stephan!!!   I hope it makes dreams become reality for you.  I could not think of a better fellow I would want steering the ship I was working on!

Best Regards
TOmmy

P.S.  Really missed reading your posts on here but you had a great reason to be absent.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-30-2011 19:21
Way To Go Stephan, hope to see more from you in the near Future!
Carl
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-30-2011 23:05
Hello Stephan, it is certainly good to hear from you once again, particularly if you are better able to participate on the forum more regularly. Also, CONGRATULATIONS on your educational endeavors, I would say that this comes as no surprise to the many of us on the forum who have ever read any of your responses. As the others, I look forward to your ability to participate on the forum more regularly once again. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-31-2011 00:40
Congrats & good to hear from You again.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-31-2011 01:30
"plain and simple mind" ??? now I know your the epitome of humble, but that's stretching it there Stephan. Plain and simple minds do not successfully complete a MSc Welding Engineering program. Intelligent and thoughtful minds do.

Congratulations and best wishes
Gerald
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2011 12:09
"plain and simple mind" ??? now I know your the epitome of humble, but that's stretching it there Stephan. Plain and simple minds do not successfully complete a MSc Welding Engineering program. Intelligent and thoughtful minds do." - Quote Gerald

I have to agree with Gerald here....Congrats Stephan!
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 02-01-2011 09:17
Gerald,

there's a particular reason taking your kind response to thank you, as well as all the other good fellows, that is:

- Shane
- Lawrence
- Tommy
- Carl
- Allan
- Dave and last but not least... the great John Wright(!)

for the congratulations and good wishes. You won't believe how much this means to me!

You know, now, finally it's time to disclose a secret.

Would you believe me that it was this forum which has pushed me to begin and accomplish the study?

Certainly, I have started it because welding is my life and as others like fishing, collecting stamps or playing chess I have chosen welding to be MY hobby.

I have to watch out! One of the most crucial things I had to learn over the past two years was: "Be concise!".

Hence, the initiation for beginning the program was a discussion we had here in the forum in 2008.

Those days we have argued with a colleague called "weld39". You remember? The correspondence was a tough one and you were even close to leave the forum.

The argumentation chosen by "weld39" at that time was such as:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=114025#pid114025

or

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=114039#pid114039

That, actually was it, what has brought me to consider beginning an academic study.

But it was not only the fact that I really love to learn, no way.

No, what hadn't let my mind rest those days was also the haunting question:

"Is arrogance something, being tought at the university?"

What has additionally amplified this approach those days was also another experience.

You must know, I have a colleague, being an engineer, a real good one, by the way.

One evening at that time, I was out with some colleagues for dinner and a good friend of mine (a welder, by the way), occupying the chair quite next to me left for searching the rest-room as this - particular - engineer stepped into the room.

He saw the free chair quite beside me and entered the seat. I mentioned the chair to be already occupied by my friend, the welder.

His reaction was: (Quote) "He (the welder) should be happy of the fact, an academic will use his chair!"

And exactly that was the point in time I have decided to apply for the MSc study.

I thought by myself, if this arrogance is something being tought through a study, then, I thought, I will find it out.

However, now, two years later I can say: "No, it was definitely not tought through all the tricky lectures and lessons!"

Here I am again. A human being, blessed by the Good Lord to have found his "desitination" - welding.

And hence, now I am in the situation to be capable of 100% agreeing with what our appreciated fellow Carl (ctacker) had responded through the forum discussion mentioned above, namely:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=114036#pid114036

It makes no difference! So I finally found: "Arrogant behaviour seems to arise from a person himself but should rather not be assessed a topic dealt with through a specific form of education."

I am happy about this outcome! :-)

I must admit however, to have enjoyed the study extraordinarily. Really, I have enjoyed every single second and I would never want to miss any single second!

I was blessed to have wonderful teachers, excellent professors and... fellow students. One of which, by the way, is also an appreciated AWS forum fellow-member.

In my eyes, a second to none metallurgist whose thesis on duplex stainless steel welding is - to say the very least - o v e r w h e l m i n g!

I guess he'll know who's meant when he'll read this!

Thank you again for your congratulations Gerald and may God bless all of you!
Stephan

P.S. Good to be back! :-)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 19:08
I do remember him well. Empirical evidence was apparently not enough for him, nor anything else for that matter. The individual was obviously a legend in his own mind.
You sir on the other hand are ever the gentlemen and now Scholar.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 02-01-2011 20:25
Your words make me feel honoured!

Thank you Gerald!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 20:39
Stephan,
  It is very good to hear from you again my friend! I see you have been quite busy. I hope all is going well with you and yours.

Congratulations!

Best regards,
John
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 23:31
What's all this racket about "being concise? :) :) ;)"

Just kidding my friend... Btw, I just finished reading your thesis, and it's a really cool one... And it is really easy to figure out who wrote it even if I didn't know the name of the author beforehand. ;) I have to read it again and again... Then I'll give you my "Wooden nickel's" worth of critique if that's okay with you Stephan which most likely be very, very brief! ;)

So what is next on your agenda Stephan besides having you back to have some excellent discourse regarding the mutual subject as well as the associated topics & sciences we both love so much??? ;)

I hope that you're at the very least going on some sort of mini-vacation after going through what you have accomplished...
Wow! This means that I'll probably want to get back more here (God willing!) also since it has always been so much fun discussing a variety of welding related topics with you over the years ever since you decided to visit us many moons ago, because I personally knew from the first minute you decided to frequent this forum, that you were meant to be here as someone who could contribute not only the different perspectives coming from the European side of welding technology, but also the deep seated passion that you naturally show us regarding your love of welding - PERIOD! ;)

I for one am grateful to have become a friend and colleague of yours and am especially grateful to communicate with you once again "Compay!"

WELDCOME BACK MY FRIEND... STEPHAN!!! :) :) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 21:59
Congrats Stephan!
- - By Stephan (***) Date 05-14-2010 00:51
Dear Al,
Dear Friends!

Still I am suffering slight insomnia and thus I could read an email which I have received from a good US American friend at 11.10 pm.

It briefly recommended to me to visit the AWS Forum, which I haven't done for so long now.

And what did I have to see?

Gentlemen, I am searching the appropriate words to express what I feel, but... no chance!

Thank you so very much for your wonderful and kind congratulations!

Even though I thank my good friend Mr. Al Moore for his certainly well-meant surprise, as I read his message I thought by myself:

Now it has finally come out!
But, Good Lord, thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven!

I nonetheless have to make a slight correction. It's the Cranfield University instead of Cambridge but entirely independently of that I am still enjoying the studies outstandingly.

I do have paramount good Professors - God bless them - and to be educated by them is an extraordinary honour to me.

To put it in a nutshell: Every single second will remain as 'unforgetable' to me!

A big step to go is left, however. That is, the thesis has now to be accomplished!

So please keep your fingers crossed for me and I look forward to find time someday to get back into the 'world's greatest welding forum'! ((c) ssbn727)

Thanks again and may God bless all of you!
Stephan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-14-2010 04:34
Hello Stephan, I was hoping I would see a post from you. As everyone else has congratulated and well-wished you for your accomplishments I would like to add mine too. Probably can't add too much to what has already been covered so I'll simply say that all of it applies and I too look forward to your increased participation when time and resources allow for you to do so. AWESOME accomplishment! Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 05-14-2010 11:21
Stephan,

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Griff
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 05-14-2010 13:12
Well done!
Mankenberg
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-14-2010 14:09
Stephan,

Your accomplishment should be an inspiration to a great many students and even some of us more senior members of the welding community. 

Congratulations are well in order.  We will surely be praying for your peace of mind to assyble an appropriate Thesis.

Well done.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-14-2010 15:44
Stephan,
Congratulations and best wishes from Australasia ( Australia and New Zealand)
Looking forward to more contributions from the European perspective when you get the time to join us on the forum.
Best regards,
Shane
Parent - By Flash Date 05-16-2010 00:16
Good Onya Stephan
congrats
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-18-2010 21:21
Congratulations, Stephan.  That's a heck of a course load to finish up.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-18-2010 21:51
may I inquire as to the title of your thesis?

I am very curious
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-01-2011 14:09
Congratulations, Stephan, and, is it possible to link to your thesis, or an abstract?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2011 14:29 Edited 02-01-2011 20:13
I try to keep up with Stephan,

Here is a link to some of is earlier work

Edit:

Sorry Fellas  I see what I did wrong.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/qjjws/27/2/50s/_pdf
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-01-2011 17:24
Lawrence;
I get server not found on that link. Got another?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2011 17:43 Edited 02-01-2011 20:13
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 02-01-2011 20:33
Lar,

it is so good to see there are some constants in the universe which will never change.

YOU, dear fellow, are such a constant! Still and always impressing me! :-):-):-)

I wish you well!
Stephan
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-01-2011 21:44 Edited 02-02-2011 23:23
Lawrence :
Thanks!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 18:36
L,

the "Link" is broken for me also

[quote]
The web address you entered could not be found:

You were trying to go to proxy2.blackhawk.edu
CloseThe error could be the result of a variety of things, from typing errors in the web address to DNS issues with the requested web address. Check the web address for typing errors or check your internet connection to ensure other web addresses are accessible.

[/quote]
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 02-01-2011 20:28
Northweldor,

thank you so much!

I'm sorry, unfortunately not.

However, I could paste the Abstract here short-term.

Thanks and best to you,
Stephan
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-01-2011 21:45
Please do Paste!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-02-2011 23:16
Congratulations Stephan!  I had no Idea welding and Cambridge went together, that's awesome.

Kix
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-18-2010 22:07
Congratulations Stephan!!!

I knew you were up to something important, and now that we all know what it was, well then Wunderbar!!! :) :) :)

God bless you and your family!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Congratulations Stephan