Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bidding Gas Pipe
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-14-2010 14:23
Whats a good way to estimate gas pipe. It's 3" pipe by 40' lengths, running about 800 feet. Gonna be running it alone as I can't keep a helper employed however the contractor doing the job usually has a guy or two there to give me a hand when needed. The guy is ready to just pay me the hourly rate on the truck but wanted to be able to give him some sort of estimate as far as rod, figure running 1/8" 6010, do not have a pipe beveler so this will all be beveled by hand but that is usually the norm when working with this crew. I know, I know, what kind of f'd up sh_t. The ditch will be dug out already, working off pipe jacks rolling it into the ditch maybe a weld or two in the ditch. They only do 8 hour days typically where they are at, just how it is and can't do nothing about it. So figure  I can get 5-6 welds a day? Does that sound low? I guess if all I was doing was welding up the two pieces but my duties usually involve much much more when working with these guys, unloading trucks, fitter, cutter, and so on. Great guys helping but not so good with the bandsaw and following that little white soap stone line then you've got the grand canyon to fill. What kind of bed should the pipe be laying in on the ground? I want to make sure they are doing it right, Piedmont had a house blow up back in 07' and some talk about it not being supported properly causing a crack. Surely don't want that in my future, but then again I'm just the welder?

My guess is about 3-4 days, 50lb'r of 6010. He asked if I could cut my rate since they have about 4-5 weeks of work, although he did say he was ok with the rate I have. They stay pretty busy though and he figure's it's easier to just have me come out and do it instead of having to chase down a rental welder, hire me on single hand, etc, etc. Which means future work for me if I keep him relatively happy but cannot shoot my own foot either. He's gonna have a helper for me but still have insurance, papers, truck......taxes that I'll have to pay for. I figured a helper is an additional charge on top of my hourly truck/welder rate, is that correct? It's cheaper for them to supply a guy who knows me and understands what's going on than me going thru a staffing service and getting Mr. Withoutaclue.

Thoughts, advise....and as always Thank you!

Shawn
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 05-14-2010 14:58
I have Never done any pipeline work but have done a fair bit of contracting...  Be careful lowering your rate too much or any for that matter...  Especially if he is OK with your rate now... Its easier to maybe charge a couple hours less here and there than drop your whole rate..

I have gone WAY out of my way to make  people happy before by lowering rates and doing different things just to maybe get the next couple projects they have... Its not worth it.. You get locked into the job and the phone rings for another job at your regular rate and you are sitting there working for a lower rate with a bad attitude thinking I am loosing money by not being on that other job...

When your attitude gets bad your work quality generally goes down then you are mad at yourself your employer is mad at you and its just a big bad circle...

If you are charging a fair rate that you are happy with....  Stick with it... Don't drop if at all possible..!!!!  Its easier to up your quality, time or even work load to match your rate if you feel like your a bit high then drop it and be unhappy...

Plus if you do a little extra work your employer thinks dang I hired him to do XXX Job and he did that and more...  Bidding things this way has worked well for me anyway..

As far as the other info you asked about.. Im clueless but Im sure plenty of other guys on here have plenty of info for you

Thats my cent and 1/2 worth

RC
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-14-2010 18:36
"The Manhours Piping Estimator's Manual", by John S. Page, published by Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, TX.
www.gulfpub.com
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-14-2010 20:21
5 -6 welds a day on 3" with 6010   you should be able to do at least 20   even thats only 60"
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-14-2010 21:01
Is that just welding though? Or is that 20 welds plus, wrangling pipe, cutting pipe, beveling pipe and whatever else that comes down the line. Like I said, great guys but cutting that white line so when two are lined up you don't have a 1/2" gap on one side and tight on the other, not to mention I won't let them come close to beveling a piece of pipe for me. I guess my choice of 5-6 is because I know I won't be just welding the pipe, before I asked the question I should have thought about my previous experience with this crew. Would like to drop the hole 800 feet in about 2 days but don't have the manpower from either company, probably be lucky if we have a mini ex or backhoe onsite! Probably be lucky if the ditch is actually pre dug like they said!

Actually Joe....it's 10.2098" around, multiplied times three passes is 30.6296" per weld, which times 6 welds is 183.7776 inches, 20 welds is 612.592 inches, circumfrence Joe, LoL! Thank you for the response.

Shawn
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 05-14-2010 21:13
Cummins- i am welding 3" sch 40 right now and it takes about 20-25 minutes to fully weld one out.  This includes taking, welding, and any grinding of welds.  usually i am lucky to get 8 to 10 welds done in an 8 hour day.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-14-2010 22:00
If you are laying pipeline, there should only be 2 cuts at the tie in. The rest of it is just butt, weld and go. Even if you are welding it on jackstands and you and the helper stabbing the pipe you should be able to do 10 welds in a 10 hour day. 1/8 on the bead and HP fill and cap with a 5/32.
If you can milk the job, run 3/32 on the bead and 1/8 out. But an hour a weld on 3 inch. Sounds like Holloman Construction.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-15-2010 00:11
when you talk weld inches in piping you only count the dia of the pipe at least thats how i was taught. i could blow out a 3" weld on the stands in less tha 5 min no problem
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 05-15-2010 02:02
even from starting the weld with feathered down tacks, you have to weld the root pass, grind the root pass, hot pass and clean the hot pass, and cap then clean the cap. I find it hard to believe all this done under 20 mins, but 30 mins can be for sure. Still estimate hand cut, hand bevel, and weld not to mention align properly even in jackstands 1 1/2 hr per weld in my opinion if I was estimating time/cost. I think it could be done in 45 mins to 1 hr per weld easily though.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-15-2010 11:02
Didn't know that, thanks Joe! So not actually counting the inches you weld. 5 minutes, you've been at this a few years huh? LoL!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-15-2010 11:05
Thanks for all the information guys, really appreciate the comments.....and call Ted!! Good talking with you!
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-15-2010 19:41 Edited 05-15-2010 19:44
root pass 1/8 5p+  2 rods   hot pass 1/8 5p+ 2 rods     fill and cap    5/32 5p+ 3-4 rods. when you cut your pipe bevel at the same time

knock slag off with a single jack.   grind landing  to your likeing  grind bevel to remove left over slag  fit it up with a 1/16 gap blow n go

if you have a bigger gap on one side just use the 5/32 on the open side for the root. I use the same heat for all passes    of course i wouldn.t bid it that way

the hvac contractors out of local 250 la expect 45 - 60 inch per day. some slave drivers ask for a 100 inches  Joe
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bidding Gas Pipe