Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Plug welds
- - By firstpass (**) Date 05-12-2010 23:36
On a particular project a good number of beams and columns have arrived with the holes punched in the wrong location.

A repair procedure has been arrived at.  Holes are plug welded and new holes are drilled.  Some of the holes are less than 4x diameter from the proper location.    The plug welds are a thru weld .  The CJP criteria is being applied and NDE is required to a percentage.  I have perused the code and can see no where NDE is required for plug welds.   Any info, input would be helpful.  

thank you
firstpass
Parent - - By cepennington (*) Date 05-12-2010 23:54
What code is it? Most likely would get RT. The project specifications would usually call out NDT methods and precentage to be used, although they are usually generic specs. Most will read Ultrasonic or Radiographic. Radiographic would be best for CJP plug welds.
Parent - - By firstpass (**) Date 05-13-2010 00:06
D1.1 is governing doc plus specs.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-13-2010 00:45
firstpass,
NDT is required when it is specified in the contract documents.
AWS D1.1 5.26.5 (1)
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By firstpass (**) Date 05-15-2010 03:15
the UT Procedure is in line with the code and starts at 5/16 - 8 inches.  A good percentage of the beams that have repaired holes are only 1/4 inch thick.   The code is clear on the 5/16 being the lower end. Could someone with the NDE knowledge of UT explain why Ut is not a suggested method for the inspection of thinner members, especially for the plug weld configuration This one is in the hands of the engineers.  I just want to avoid an NCR
thanks for the help
first pass
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 05-17-2010 14:09
MT/PT is your best bet.

I would suggest L-wave but then again D1.1 does not want UT done on 1/4 unless you an approved procedure.  The reason for not using UT on steel less than 5/16 is because the near field on AWS style transducers is horrible and you get to the point that you might not see anything anyway.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Plug welds