Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Liberty Ship - Jeremiah OBrien
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 22:38 Edited 05-13-2010 22:41
Here I am in San Francisco and what do I discover? Just a couple of blocks from the hotel is one of the two last Liberty ships still in working condition!

I toured the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien this morning and spent over two hours in the engine room. They were getting things shipshape for a cruise next week. I was there when the lit off the boilers and bought up a head of steam. I was in Seventh Heaven. The hell with the 70 virgins, give me something powered by steam!

Anyway, I was talking at length with the Chief in the boiler room and he asked what I was doing in San Francisco. I told him I was here with ASME and that my background was as a welder.

"Really? You're a welder, a certified welder?"

"Yup, a living breathing, circumcised welder, oops, certified welder!"

"We just lost our welder to old age. The poor fellow couldn't see any more. We need someone that can weld to help us keep this old timer afloat!" he said. "Are you interested in volunteering? The entire crew are volunteers, but we don't have anyone that can weld!"

I explained that as much as I would love to offer my services, it is too far to travel from Connecticut to San Francisco to do a little welding.

"If you know anyone in the San Francisco area that might be interested, send him to us!" he said.

So, all you wannabe seadogs! Here is an opportunity to put your skills to work and do something really worthwhile. If you live within a 101 miles of San Francisco, these fellows could really use your skills and knowledge to keep this mechanical marvel in working seaworthy condition. I wish I did live close enough to be part of this effort. I told him I would be happy to do what I could for documentation, paperwork, etc., but 8 hours of flight time is too far to work on weekends.

www.ssjeremiahobrien.org - they would love to hear from you!

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-13-2010 23:21
Al,
  This is probably the first and maybe the only time I have ever wished I lived in San Francisco because I would jump on it just like you would. AND I am green with envy my friend. You had a top rate tour.

jrw159
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-14-2010 04:28
If I could schedule classes in this city I would arrange to spend some time with the crew on this vessel. It would be time well spent; for their benefit and for the education value.

As I said, I spent over two hours with the Chief Engineer in the boiler room and got to squeeze into some areas only accessible to the crew under most conditions. This vessel is in amazing condition for a vessel that was built in "43".  The mechanics of the triple expansion steam engine is truly amazing to see. They look like they were installed yesterday.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-14-2010 18:31
Al,
ask the Chief if he's ever sailed with Marmaduke Surfaceblow on a Liberty ship. If he's over fifty he must know who's Marmaduke Surfaceblow: he's the best engineer humanity has ever known.  
http://answers.com/topic/marmaduke-surfaceblow
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 05-14-2010 23:46
This is odd! 
I broke into the PowerHouse  (boiler room)  Operation under Jim Marshall.  Mr. Marshall worshipped   Jim  Elonka!! 
This is amazing!  At least to me!

Griff
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-17-2010 19:17
Griff,
Steve Elonka, not Jim. I had the honor of being his guest for a weekend at his home in Charleston, SC, in 1977. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 05-18-2010 04:28
Thanks for the correction.  I guess after typing "Jim Marshall" I substituted Jim for Steve in Mr. Elonka's name.

Griff
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-15-2010 18:09
Mr. Surfaceblow used to be a regular in "Power" magagine if I remember correctly. No problem to big or too small to solve.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-17-2010 19:19
You remember perfectly, Al.
Marmaduke Surfaceblow's stories were published on Power magazine from 1948, when I was too young to read them, until 1983, when Steve Elonka, Marmaduke creator, passed away.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-14-2010 21:10
cool post Al!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Liberty Ship - Jeremiah OBrien