Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of rod is this?
- - By JMCInc (**) Date 05-12-2010 16:46
Pink with green dot at the end. 5/32. Friend has about 100# he has given to me.

Jon
Attachment: pinkrod001.jpg (84k)
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-12-2010 17:37
It's a welding rod!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-14-2010 00:07
If You took some to a scrap yard they might be able to shoot them with the "ray gun" and tell You what alloys are in them.
- - By cepennington (*) Date 05-12-2010 16:55
Looks like a Lincoln Stainless electrode. It should be marked 309L, 308L, 316L ect. By the rust on the end, I would guess a 309L.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 05-12-2010 17:06
Just found out he left it in the rain last week. Can it be reconditioned?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-12-2010 17:10
Based upon how thin the coating is I'd say its a cellulosic, as for reconditioning, depends on what for.
How much of an issue is hydrogen for you with cellulosics?
Parent - - By UApypewelder Date 05-12-2010 17:47
I have 2 guesses 1 is an old lincoln 7010. Lincoln use to have a dot/color system for rod identification, and I've saw and burned plenty of pink lookin 7010's. My second guess is that it could be a special composition rod designed and produced for a specific welding situation where unusuial alloys were to be joined. This is the less likely situation because if that is what it is the rods were most likely very expensive and not many made. I even bring this up because I've saw this situation one time in 20 years of welding. We were joining some extensions to the burners of a coal burning power plant boiler. The extensions were made of 316 stainless, but the original burners were made of somekind of patented "secret recipie" alloy and the rods to join the 2 metals had to be designed specificaly for this job.Those rods were like none I've ever saw again, they were army green colored flux, with grayish colored filler wire, the boxes only had Avesta Welding Porducts on the label and some numbers. Nothing like an AWS designation or anything that would give away there composition. And I remember they were obviously very expensive, because there were 2 of the engineers on the project helping us to actually fit-up the extensions and were crawling all over us for bending the rods to get back into corners and not burning them down to at least a 2" stub. One told me to stop bending them and I kindly stepped back and offered him my hood and stinger and asked him politely to show me another way to do it, of course he looked at me and looked at the joint I had and just shook his head and mumbled "well just do the best you can to not waste anymore than you have" to and walked away.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 05-12-2010 18:08
My friend found it in the corner of his shop after he moved in; left by the previous owner. He estimated that the "welding rod" (fbrieden,ha!) has probably been there for many years.

There's a seasoned welder working on site here who said it was not easy to bend when he stuck it in his stinger and it burned like stainless; said it would work well for hardfacing grousers and such.

Thanks

Jon
Parent - - By UApypewelder Date 05-13-2010 21:20
You know he may be right it could darn sure be some sort of hardfacing rod. Try it out on different stuff and whatever it works best for there ya go. I'd find some use for them rather than throw them away. Accept on any type of code work, which should go unsaid.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 05-14-2010 01:18
I've used a stainless rod from Lincoln which is very similar, came out of a can labeled "red baron". Don't remeber the colored dot.
- - By sled_king (*) Date 05-16-2010 04:29
I have ran Certanium 702 mild steel rod that looked just like that however I don't remember the green dot.
Certanium rods burn very nice.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-16-2010 04:34
For what they cost, they should weld by themselves. We had them at the auto frame plant, I understand they cost an arm & a leg.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of rod is this?