Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Maxium equivalent carbon in pipeplines under service
- By tfdavid (*) Date 05-26-2010 10:26
Does anyone know where can I find the maximum Ceq for the material of the fittings that are to be welded to the pipeline? I know that for the pipeline , the Ceq max is indicated in de code API 5L.
- - By nkvon Date 06-27-2010 03:02
My opinion is the same formula with pipe, U could cal. base on Mill cert fitting
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2010 17:26
I doubt you will find the maximum carbon equivalency (CE) for the fittings in the applicable specification. CE is not usually specified. However, the chemistry range is usually provided with the mechanical properties that have to be met. You could approximate the CE by using an appropriate CE formula and plugging in the average values based on the ranges for the chemistry listed in the specification. The maximum CE is still elusive unless the specification does happen to list a value (doubtful, but possible).

The other part of this problem is there are several CE formulas used by industry, each with its own guidelines. Unless your particular code or specification lists the CE formula that is required, you may obtain results that are meaningless.

Do you have CMTRs for the fitting you would like to use? If you do, you have the actual chemistry listed. You can use the CE formula listed in API Linepipe specification and hope for the best.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Maxium equivalent carbon in pipeplines under service