Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / eye protection
- - By kam (**) Date 10-23-2003 13:54
Looking for official document which covers recommended eye protection for mainly MIG welding. Can't believe safety & health section on this web site has nothing on the subject. What i'm really looking for is how close to an unprotected arc you can get before you need to start worrying about eye protection?

Thanks

kam
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2003 14:34
Hi Kam,
Try the search function. This subject has been hashed out on the forum within the last year or so. I posted a link for a chart of what eye protection was recommended for different processes. I'll look and see if that link is still active.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2003 14:37
http://www.aws.org/wj/dec02/feature.html
Try this link.
Also try
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=2707#9900
You'll have to scroll to the top of the page
John Wright
Parent - By kam (**) Date 10-27-2003 13:52
Thanks jwright

Used the search feature before this post tryed every word I could think of relating to eye protection except UV. Will take a look at the links you provided.

Thanks again

kam
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 10-28-2003 04:00
Basically,
If you, or anyone is working around an intense UV source, such as a welding arc, then you NEED to be wearing saftey glasses. Period. The propagation on electromagnetic radiation operates on the inverse-square law: square the distance=1/4 the intensity, meaning that Venus is at the temperature of molten lead, Earth is comfortable, and Mars is freezing, considering the respective distances from the sun (Sol). The same is true for all electromagnetic sources, be they visible, infra-red, UV, gamma or x-ray. The physics is the same.

Hope this helps
Dale simonds
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-28-2003 05:53
I think you meant to say- double the distance, 1/4 the intensity.
Bill
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 10-28-2003 14:48
Thanks for the correction.

Dale Simonds
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / eye protection