Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dang i hate politics.
- - By Tnwelder (**) Date 06-09-2010 20:24
I went for a job interview and a weld test. I was very uniformed about what they had in mind. I went and interview and took the test. I was told that they were going to hire two fitter/welders. So i thought as long as i pass the test i would have a job. So i call this morning and ask bout the test. The HR told me that i had passed the test but i was not selected for the position. I said not selected. yea we had two people come in and test and they were going to select who they wanted. well come to find out the other guy knew the supervisor that was going to select us. So i am left in the dry because of that crap. But she was nice enough to offer me another job to fun a sub arc machine but it does not pay as good as a welder does, but i need a job until something better comes up so i guess im stuck. I want to work but i hate to run machines. And i also have a degree in the field and the other guy does not even have anything and about 2 years experience and i have the say for better companies. So whatever. What do you guys think.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-09-2010 21:09
Welcome to the Real World. I hate to say it BUT, Connections make the world go round !
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 06-09-2010 22:21
It sux until you're the one who gets the job because you know somebody. I've been on both sides and I've decided the best thing to do is get to know a lot of people !
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-10-2010 00:00
That is the way things usually work.  You can have double the qualifications but if your going up against relatives or buddies you will lose 99% of the time.  My last job was so completely ate up with the buddy system crap I was sure that this billion dollar outfit was going to go down......after six months being laid off it looks like I am right...the company is tanking big time.  Unfortunately having someone on the inside will always give you the advantage over others....ethics in most businesses is a word not a practice.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 06-10-2010 01:22
You ain't seen NOTHING until you've enter the world of a trade union.  20 or 30 guys with the same last names in the same union, very few minorities, everyone knows everyone and grew up together.  It's SICK. 

How they get away with this crap is beyond me.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-11-2010 17:34
as someone who hires welders, I've hired friends. Albeit they all could weld.  I'll put it this way; if you have a friend or relative you probably already know his work ethics, how smart he is and how skilled he is.  The other guy could be a superstar but he could be a real annoying SOB who can pass tests.  I'll stick with the people I know because I know exactly what I'm getting.  

I haven't done any of the nepotism give a cousin a job they can't handle stuff. Everyone who comes in has to test in to the same tests and pass. after that it's up to me and my coworkers as to what criteria we use, and knowing them is a big endorsement.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dang i hate politics.