Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Titanium Oxidation
- - By Lan Date 06-15-2010 14:43
1st post on this forum and I think I have a doozy.

I have looked at threads in the forum and have been unable to find any information on this specific question (and google was not real helpful). I have found a lot of resources about stainless steel color at certain temperatures but not on Ti. My question... When titanium is heated to X temperature, while not in a shielded atmosphere, at what point will it turn light straw, dark straw, violet etc...? For example: Stainless turns pale yellow at 290 C, purple at 420 C, and blue at 540 C while not in a shielded atmosphere. This is what I am looking for. Does anyone know this info??
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 15:08 Edited 06-15-2010 15:44
Take a look in this thread... may be what you are after. Scroll to the bottom

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=181420;hl=color%20Ti

edit:
From what little reading I did, I think 800°F is the majic number to stay below without being shielded from the atmosphere.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 15:33
Whoops, where's my manners?....Welcome to the forum.
Parent - By Lan Date 06-15-2010 16:06
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for a while cause there are some smart folks here. WOW!!!

Thanks you a ton for pointing me to that thread, but it not quite what I am looking for. Let me break down what information I am looking for. The information at the bottom of the page does say what color is and is not acceptable, but to who's code? These welds may be fine for Joe's shop down the street but not for NASA due to each facility specifying what is and is not acceptable for their specific applications. While welding Ti (or really any material for that matter), the weld is going to turn X color depending on the temperature of the weld after it leaves the gas envelope of the trailing shield. Brown may be an acceptable color for Joe's shop but at what temperature, if I am working to a very strict code, does my weld need to be when it leaves the gas envelope in order to meet color criteria, and deemed a good weld? I have spent many o' hour looking for this info for Titanium. It is really easy to find for stainless like in the link below, but Ti,,, a different story!

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140
Parent - - By Lan Date 06-15-2010 17:00
jwright Love the avatar. It makes me happy  :-)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 17:24
LOL...your avatar makes my kneecaps nervous...I used to have a Honda Hurricane back when I first got married. I was getting way too brave on that bike.

I let my little brother ride it and he dropped it when he chickened out in a curve and stood the bike back up and tried to get whoa'd up, thinking he couldn't make it. He came off in the grass beside the road, the bike continued on flipping end over end down through the woods, slinging parts off with every revolution. I was on his little bike and he was on mine....I about lost my little brother that day and it scared me to death thinking about what could have happened. Probably happened for the best, he won't get on another bike and I saw what could happen if you carry too much speed.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-15-2010 16:00
Welcome to the forum.

Look for the term  "Alpha Case"  When doing your titanium surface condition research...

I agree that the 800F  mark is a good place to consider color change... But this may vary from alloy to alloy... Be sure that the data you use is linked specifically to your alloy and conditions...

Here are a couple of older threads that discuss alpha case... There are others.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=123459;hl=alpha%20case%20color

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=18828;hl=alpha%20case%20color%20temperature
Parent - - By Lan Date 06-15-2010 16:22
After reading some of the things that ssbn says, I think I wanna attend Alfred State Technical College. If he writes a book, or already has, I wanna copy. In his words I think I am going to have to do some more "mining" ;-). I may have to set up a little experiment.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-15-2010 19:31
No additional info as to your research question, just wanted to welcome you to the AWS Welding Forum.

And Henry (ssbn) is an encyclopedia of good information.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lan Date 06-15-2010 19:31
Thanks Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Titanium Oxidation