Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Square Footage Requirements Per Welder
- - By JGarner765 Date 06-14-2010 18:37
As everyone knows your metal shop should be large enough to be comfortable and safe in, but is there a recommended square footage allocation for the workspace of a welder?
Parent - - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 06-14-2010 19:19
I don't know the specifics but you can check AWS/ANSI Z49.1 The main determining factor is ventilation regardless of space. No matter how small a space is if it has proper ventilation for fumes and gases then it's alright.

http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/Z49.1-2005-all.pdf
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-14-2010 19:46
I would say that the needs are directly impacted by the size of your weldments and the type of welding you are doing.  If you have high energy pulse or spray operations then you have to manage the more intense UV.  Spray arcing with a white wall behind you can create a dangerous situation for peoples eyesight.  If you have a lot of SMAW or coated metal welding you have more ventilation issues.  Generally you can pack people into booths pretty tight, you just got to manage getting material in and out, and allow for a quick means of escape without a bunch of clutter.  Like was said above, keep enough fresh air moving in there and pull out the bad is the main issue.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-14-2010 21:59
I need about 3,000 sq. ft. By the time I get done with getting pissed off, and throwing things, I would say 3,000 sq.ft. should do it
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 16:59
LOL!! Sounds like me! Can't tell how many weedeaters have ended up in the field because of the new olympic event I've wanted to invent, weedeater-put!

Shop size, if your building 20 foot gates, fence panels, large handrail or fancy gates and junk pretty big for the layout tables. Mini sculptures, not so big. A friend of mine has a 40'x60' shop on his farm, that's my dream shop.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 06-16-2010 03:01
Here is my rule of thumb if the welder b****s about it get one that wont. I have 15,000 square feet and still get complaints from shop hands. Amazing that my field guys can spend hours on end right on top of each other and not complain and I can't get a day without crying in the shop.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-16-2010 14:15
I think it's because guys who work in the field know what it's like to get rained on, work in cramped places, finding you need something and finding out you don't have it and figuring out a way to make it happen without. Shop guys have everything within reach or within a phone call. McGiver -vs- some other guy....
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 06-14-2010 23:06
Check out AWS EG2.0:2006 or latest
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 06-15-2010 02:36
This is just a personal preference, but when I set up to work in area, I get myself set up so that I'm not tripping or bumping into anything.  Nothing drives me more insane than clutter, and nothing moreso than tangled cables and hoses.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 10:57
Are you working on 3" widgets or 3" thick main steam lines.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 06-15-2010 11:59
Are you working on exhaust headers for a nascar motor or on a mining haul truck??  Kinda depends on what the welder is working on as to square foot "requirements".
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 06-15-2010 23:04
Are we talking fabrication/manufacturing or training? If it is a training shop; AWS - "A minimum of 100 square feet of laboratory floor space per individual is considered a good general planning figure, exclusive of washroom, storage, office space and the classroom."
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Square Footage Requirements Per Welder