Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 Bridge MAterial HPS 345W
- - By eekpod (****) Date 06-16-2010 12:47
OK, I getting ready to run a new PQR because we are going to switch filler wire manufacturers.  I know I want to use "weathering" grade plate this time, because I didn't the first time, and I want/need my WPS to cover weathering material, just in case.

Looking at Table 5.4.1 whats the difference between A709-50W and A709-50 HPS?
Whats the HPS stand for?
is it the same as A709-50W?
It's throwing me off track, not sure what plate to order for the PQR test.
Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 06-16-2010 15:11
Chris
These steels, which are called High Performance Steels (HPS), have nominal yield strengths that range from 485 MPa to 900 MPa, yet exhibit excellent ductility, toughness, and corrosion resistance. HPS can be welded with greater ease than many steels developed in the past. Therefore, HPS is an excellent candidate for bridge construction, and in fact is being used to develop many innovative bridge designs HPS can produce cost
savings in bridge construction because the number and size of girders can be reduced due to the increased strength. The toughness and corrosion resistance of HPS makes it particularly attractive for bridges.
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-17-2010 18:09
so does that mean I'd have to run a sperate PQR for HPS steels vs non-HPS?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2010 15:57
Check the applicable table to determine what variables are deemed essential and to verify CVN testing is a requirement.

Al
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 06-23-2010 20:12
Typically HPS is Gr. 70 or above, but someone wanted HPS 50W (in my mind, just an excuse to make steel more expensive, but no one asked me), so there it is.

It is like 50W but tighter chemical controls and higher toughness.

All that stuff in 5.4.2 is all about making sure your PQR plate is not a best-case scenario (if anything, you want it to be a worst-case scenario), so don't order HPS 50W for your PQR plate.  If you take a look at the table in 5.4.1, if you run your PQR with regular 50W, you can qualify any Gr. 50 (including HPS 50W) or Gr. 36.  If you run it with HPS 50W, it's only good for HPS 50W and won't qualify downward.

Hg
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 06-23-2010 20:26
Regarding PQRs for HPS in general, if you need an HPS 70W WPS, you'll need to qualify it on an HPS 70W plate.  For welds between HPS 70W and some kind of Gr. 50, not so clear.  Filler metal would match the lower strength, so you wouldn't need to go out and buy funky electrodes, but choice of PQR plate a little iffier.  I've heard several different kinds of answer from People In The Know.  I *think* it's getting resolved one way or the other in the next D1.5 but wouldn't swear to it.

Hg
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 06-24-2010 10:18
Thanks HG, my computers been on the fritze a couple of days and coulndt get online.

Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 Bridge MAterial HPS 345W