Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Qualify PQR-WPS-WPQ
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 06-15-2010 19:55
Any input...

We are a new business.

Sanitary industry.

We need to qualify welders-process parameters, everything.

Is it best to have a third party do it all including the maintaining the documents? Or purchase the software, or get busy learning the code?

Any input would be appreciated.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 20:17
What code applies to your work? Check out your contract docs and see what codes are referenced for welding. The code that applies will dictate how to go about qualifying welders and procedures. If you are not in any hurry to get started you could research the code(s) yourself and figure out what you need, but if time is short, it may pay you to have someone savvy in that code to guide you along until you can take things and run with them. Sometimes the contract docs may have particular wording stating whether third party inspection is required and who is responsible for that. In my line of work the owner of the project is usually the one who is responsible to hire the third party to watch over the QA/QC program.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-15-2010 22:58
It would be ideal if every company that was involved in welding, whether they do the welding or even if they subcontract all their welding out to their vendors, had some expertise. Unfortunately that is rarely the case. If the company had unlimited time and resources the needed expertise could be developed in-house by sending key people to courses offered by AWS and ASME. Once again, in today's economy, the time and funding necessary to develop in-house technical knowledge is not plausable.

The next best approach is to hire a consultant to help develop a program. The consultant can work with the client to provide immediate results and to teach selected individuals how to maintain and expand the program. The individual(s) selected to work with the consultant should have an interest in welding and welding codes or the effort is wasted. When the proper individual is choosen, the consultant becomes the tutor and personal mentor. The transfer of information is relatively quick and the end product is a viable welding program that is easily maintained by internal resources. In otherwords, the consultant's objective is to to put himself out of a job by providing the necessary training to make the client self-sufficient.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 06-16-2010 01:11
Now that I have a minute I can give you much more clarity.

Myself, I am going to be the welding face of our company. I have not been welding as long or consider myself as well versed as most. But I have been welding for the past 12 years mainly using GTAW app on light gauge stainless (300 series). From HVAC to custom stainless steel sheet metal jobs to building highly complex frame assemblies. The past 5 years I have actually spent as a lead person in the semi conductor industry using manual and orbital GTAW applications on high purity stainless tube assemblies.

I am familiar with generating, documenting PQR's and WPS's to Section IX BPVC, but this new company I am with we are literally starting from scratch. What we are going to be doing is more in the Bio Pharm-Sanitary welding end of things. I may have to generate all of the documentation, get a few weld certs and do the fabrication until we expand business to get more help.

The plan is to use the local C.C. that has a AWS program as our "farm system" and start bringing in the young guys that are eager to start their career. Our state actually has assistance for the guys that are willing to go that route.

Anyhow, I really wanted feedback from individuals who have used a consultant versus documenting yourself?

Thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-16-2010 01:56
If you have the "know-how", there is nothing better than doing it yourself.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-16-2010 10:59
My advice would be to hire a gentleman by the name of Al Moore.
If you are truly starting from scratch you need someone to guide you through the foundations of it all.
I can think of nobody better.
You should be able to find him in here if the question is posed.  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-17-2010 03:08
Thanks for the vote of confidence. It is appreciated.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-16-2010 18:34
Do it yourself.
Self done is well done.

Be aware of the Chinese in the pharmaceutical industry.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Qualify PQR-WPS-WPQ