Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Licences
- - By EN287 Date 06-18-2010 10:21
I'm a bit curious about off-shore cert. What sort of safety classes are required in the US (and Canada?)
Also regarding the welding licenses what the demands are. I live in Europe and been working close to home the past 5 years but I'm expanding my horizonte, looking for a new experience. Most Europeans travel to Norway if the want off-shore work but that don't really interest me, to much incompetent Polacks there. Anyway I was told the Eu license EN287 is non valid in the US, true? Perhaps a site-test after viewing the licences is enough? I hardly doubt the US licences in any way are harder to achieve then the Eu standard, no disrespect but in most cases US are behind in the development. What's the license cost a piece? I currently have EN287-1 111(MMA) 311(GAS) 141(TIG) and EN287-8 141(TIG) and basic safety classes and experience with ISO and CAD. Share some knowledge, thanks.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 06-18-2010 12:15
Behind in development? I think you would be a bit suprised at what it takes to get certified.
Parent - - By EN287 Date 06-18-2010 14:29
My statement is based on my own observations when I visited several US towns in 2005. An example is a all the use of rivet that we replaced with welds (and flanges, not sure if that's the proper translation) in the 80s. Same goes for not properly digging town the all the electric wiring, but I want to stay on topic with my original questions. Browsing youtube seeking info on the subject I find for example this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHi7zwejXuY This is a proper license weld? His allowed to move as "freely" as that and just weld one line? 6gwelder the general license name? Is the pipe diameter always that large on license tests?
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 06-18-2010 14:42
"properly digging down all the electric wiring?"     "use of rivet?"     Try being a little less condescending...................
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 06-18-2010 14:54
I am at work,and "you tube" is blocked by our server.But a 6G weld is test used to certify pipe welders,where as,the pipe is fixed at a 45 degree angle,and you start at the bottom,and progress upward from there.As far as the diameter,it is usually driven by the job contract requirements,and usually to ASME IX code,and there is usually a time limit.I have taken these tests many times,as here in the US you have to test on every job.
Parent - - By EN287 Date 06-18-2010 21:10
I apologize if I sound condescending and I'll try to behave.
Ringo thanks for bringing some fact to the table. What you explain make me consider if it's not more or less exactly the same type of demands.
Time limit and 45 degree angle is standard in Eu for pipe welders. Also stay on a given heat input.
Is there a certain standard in dimensions, for example weld diameter 60.3mm(3inch) cowers all from zero to 10inches? Or must the welders repeat the process every single time a new dimension appears?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-19-2010 03:24
Never worked on the offshore rigs myself, but my friends that do tell me one of the Safety certs you must have is HUET. Helicopter Underwater Escape Training.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-23-2010 16:38
Yes,a specific diameter pipe will get you qualified to a specific range.I don't have a copy of ASME Section IX,but you may be able to look in the search feature of this forum,and find someone who has it.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 06-24-2010 01:38
Lots of "Polacks" here in the USA.  You seem to have one HUGE incompetent from Sweden who is destroying my country.  His name is Carl-Henric Svanberg.  Carl is one dumb Polack!
Parent - - By EN287 Date 07-03-2010 09:20
Pollacks have for many years looked up to the US and worked hard to get travel visa for it's citizens. Actually it's one of the very few countries that still look up to the US like a "world leading giant." They even gone so far that they more or less agreed to allow a US military base on their soil aimed at Russia. Carl-Henric Svanberg actions I can't answer for. Quotes like "little people" leave me speechless as well. Neither the less his just BP's face out, he take high profile jobs. The company is from the UK with UK investors and technology. If you want to blame someone then blame them and the US own greed. If the gas price went up you would sit at work *****ing about it for months, if the project was a success you would live on happy. If you got to vote I'm sure you would take the high risk project drilling for the oil thinking this "flashy machines" could drill to the earth core if it so wanted. Fact is that the earth has long ago passed it's oil peek and there is just "hard to get" oil left to be drilled, sources left first time around. I'm no expert in the area, I just don't like the hypocrite thinking.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2010 12:22
"Actually it's one of the very few countries that still look up to the US like a "world leading giant."

What an ass you are.     You have knowledge of the opinions of all the countries around the globe?     You know nothing really.  You hate the America because you were taught to...  You believe the world hates America because your teachers told you this as well...  Yet you and millions of others dream of comming here for the opportunity...  What a hypocrite you are.

Is there another country in the world that people risk their lives to simply get into, so that they might have a shot at opportunity that can be gotten in only one nation on the face of the earth?

Only fools try to make themselves look smart by insulting others.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 07-16-2010 11:28
Are you aware that "YouTube" is the official testing site for all certification tests?  This includes welding, electrical, 4-wheeler modifications, human sling shots, etc.

Also, you can believe 100% of what you see on the Internet, especially YouTube!

Griff
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2010 16:55
EN287

Sorry for the late reply.  In the USA, there is no official national "License" scheme for welding. Many jurisdictions have license requirements, but not all of those are related to a demonstration of ability or qualification.  Some are only for revenue raising.

There are some voluntary welder qualification and certification schemes that are recognized extensively, such as AWS D1.1, ASME Section 9, API 1104.  Many of these "Certifications" are legal requirements, because they are incorporated by reference into building, plumbing, boiler, and other "Codes" of the jurisdiction responsible for the code.

By jurisdiction,I mean State and Local governments, Cities, Counties and towns, as well as "Authorities" (Quasi governmental entities with the power to operate as a legal body).

The requirements for obtaining one of these "certifications" mostly follow the cited Nationally recognized code, such as ASMESection 9, or AWS D1.1, ETC.   Until recently, New York City had a welding license requirement for structural work.  While that license requirement was in force, the time delays to get a test date and then to wait for the results, were unreasonable. The actual test was essentially a modified D 1.1 unlimited plate welder qualification test,   (There were actually more NYC pistol licenses given out, than NYC welder licenses!)

I doubt that any of your EN licenses would be valid in the US for most work.  I have done commonality comparison reviews of various EN welding related Norms, and was never able to find enough common ground with US Codes and recommended practices, to unconditionally accept an EN license.

Costs of licensing vary depending on the jurisdiction. Licenses issued by one jurisdiction, even though obtained by the same qualification test, usually are not recognized by other jurisdictions.   Even non-license type welder qualification certifications issued for ASME work by one contractor on a project, (I.E. a large power plant) cannot be transferred if you go to work with another contractor on the same project!

There are some unions that have programs that make welder qualifications transportable, such as the "Common Arc" program.  Many  building  contractors will accept some city licenses or State DOT licenses as qualification to weld on their project.  Although this is often done, it is seldom completely legal.

Canada has a national licensing scheme for various types of welding work.

Joe Kane
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-15-2010 15:04
Ladies and Gentlemen:
       Annonymouses I have heard all manner of views. Putting things in writing that you might of said with bad sticks on a hot day with some of uniqueness’s on the planet after your third beer has caused pain! As a CWI (Certified Welding Inspector) graduate engineer I suggest calling 800/305-443-9353 about certification requirements. I have made presentations at the Welding Institute of Poland and have nine patents the majority in welding. Since 1981, I have been a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers. My father was from Denmark, was a seaman on four ships Norwegian - Danish, have two patents in petroleum extraction, and have been a journalist at every world petroleum congress in the last plus twenty years. My guess you figured everything that would be less funny to me and ---. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen    www.lenandersen.com
212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-16-2010 06:02
"WWWWEEEEMMMAAARRRRKKKAAABBBBLLLLEEEE!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) Where's that silly Wabbit?????"

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Licences