Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9-year recert?
- - By HgTX (***) Date 06-23-2010 19:40
For the PDH option, 20 of the PDH need to be in the last 3 years.
For the endorsement or Part B option, I can't find in QC1 during what timeframe one needs to have taken the test.  Does it have to be within a certain time limit before the 9-year expiration, or can it be any time during the 9 years?

Hg
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-24-2010 00:44
When I took the D 1.5 Endorsement Exam, I received a Letter saying that I had met the requirements for re-certification, which was 81/2 years away!
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-24-2010 16:22
How about taking the Part B exam?  Is there a limit as to how early that can be done?

Hg
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 06-24-2010 16:33
Who's the best person at AWS to contact about this?  I looked up the "contact us" info, but they list like 10 people under certification.

Hg
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-24-2010 19:35
Hg,

I thought I had seen somewhere that the 9 yr was to be within about the last 6 months of your 9 yr time,  I'll see if I can find it again.  Didn't mean much to me at the time as that is a ways off for me.

Also, in all those names, do you see a 'Peter', I believe the last name starts with 'H'?  Probably a good person to ask.  I'll try to verify the name as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-24-2010 19:49
Brent,
  You are referring to Peter Howe, and yes, he would be a good one to talk to.

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-25-2010 14:09
That's the one.  He was very helpful with questions I had on the Bolting Endorsement.  And when he wasn't sure about my question he directed me to Joe Kane and someone else down at AWS offices.  But at least saw that my questions got answers.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

John, may be headed through your area in Aug. Going to IN as our son and his wife are expecting their second child and we didn't make the first ones first bday in May.  Time to go see the kids.  Thought we might swing through so you and I could meet face to face?  Planning to be around?  Mid to late Aug.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-25-2010 14:41
Brent,
  Yes I plan on being here in the Tulsa area then. It would be great to meet with you!

jrw159
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-24-2010 21:48
The application has to be in no earlier than 6 months before, but I can't find anything about when the Part B or endorsement test needs to happen.

Hg
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-24-2010 19:52
I called the certification department when I went through my 9 yr renewal the other year, but I don't remember who I spoke with...they were helpful and was able to answer my questions.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-26-2010 10:42
I think Terry Perez may be the best person to speak with in Certification Department.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-26-2010 14:43
I have spoken with Terry several times, very helpful and knowledgeable.

jrw159
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-25-2010 14:52
Peter Howe says endorsement any time, Part B only 6 months before.
- - By KAJUN1 (*) Date 07-08-2010 20:11
You can also get 80 hrs of training & not take any test. I renewed mine two yrs ago with 80 hrs training in Mobile, Ala. There are different course you can take that will give you the hrs. you need. I used Real Educational Services from Pasagula, MS. They could advise on the differeent courses you can take, but I wouldn't advise taking the Part B. If you miss it, you have to take all 3 again.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-08-2010 21:58
Yeah, for that option they're clear about when the training needs to be taken.  For the various exam options it's pretty fuzzy.

Hg
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-27-2010 00:01
HgTX

At the 21 / 22 July Certification Committee Meeting, I raised the issue of the Endorsement giving you the education requirements for re-certification as a CWI / SCWI.  It was confirmed, by the Committee.  So, if you took (and passed) the Endorsement Exam just one day after your CWI certificate was valid, you would be qualified (If otherwise qualified) to go 18 years without re-certification exams or meeting other listed CEU / PDH educational activity.

I was already in possession of a letter saying that I had met the requirements for Re-certification which at the time was 8 years away, but it seemed too strange.  I had taken the D1.1 Endorsement examination about a year after taking the SCWI exam.

Joe Kane
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9-year recert?