Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / bonder qualification fiberglass pipe
- - By spots (**) Date 07-09-2010 19:49
Has anyone got any idea how to establish a test pressure in accordance with ASME B31.1 nonmandatory appendix III-5.1.2 (D2.1)?

Let me know, I would certainly appreciate it.

It looks like you have to derive a pressure from another formula then pick whichever is greater 150 psig or your calculation. The numbers I am coming up with do not look right.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 07-10-2010 13:23 Edited 07-10-2010 14:01
I haven't done anything with fiberglass pipe before, but I looked at the formula to see what it would take.  You would need to re-arrange the appropriate equation in III-2.2.2(A) to solve for the pressure (P).  Which equation to use depends on the type of fiberglass.  For example, in equation III-2.2.2(A)(A.2):

t = D ÷ [(2Sb ÷ P) + 1]

Rearranged for P it would be:

P = 2Sb ÷ [(D ÷ t) - 1]

The value for Sb comes from Table III-4.2.2 in the last column titled "Design Stress".
Parent - By spots (**) Date 07-12-2010 17:35
The formula in (A.3) is the one that applies to the material we are using.

When using maximum values for Sc and F, the test pressure is coming out around 20 psi.

It looks as though the test pressure for bonder qualification is 150 psi in our case.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / bonder qualification fiberglass pipe