Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how to judge the stainless steel weld seam by its color?
- - By michael.lu Date 07-20-2010 09:04
if there is any tips show in AWS codes to mention how to judge the weld seam by its color?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-20-2010 17:07
Hello michael.lu, don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it might shed a bit of light on your question. Best regards, Allan
Attachment: Argonpurgeexample2.bmp (383k)
Attachment: Argonpurgeexample-1.bmp (563k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 17:11
Thanks Allan,
I was looking for that, I think Metrinka posted it awhile back on here somewhere, but I didn't see it on my quick search.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-20-2010 17:32
I believe you are correct John, I know that I felt these were some useful tools to have handy so I downloaded them into my photo cache. Salutations and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 07-21-2010 01:28
Absolutely amazing Allen! What don't you have pictures of?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-21-2010 07:17
Hello Bob, I've been fortunate that others have shared readily and I've been able to be there to collect some of them. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 19:28
The color charts as the others have stated are good tools but I might ask just exactly what it is you are trying to judge?
As the others stated as well it is useful for purge evaluation but in many instances is irrelevant to the viability of the weld except in the case of extremes.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-23-2010 14:14
Jeff brings up an excellent point! If you are trying to judge the amount of purge being adequate or not, then these charts are helpful yet, should NOT be considered as the most accurate method of determining whether or not a sufficient amount of purging the O2 content from the atmosphere around the backside of the weld was successful or not... There could also be some other factors which could cause some misleading discoloration which may have been overlooked also...

If the backside of a SS welded joint wasn't properly cleaned, then a discoloration can also occur if this precaution was not even considered and maybe easily overlooked initially especially if one only focused on purged time, and not paying attention to the other factors involved besides just monitoring the amount of oxygen in PPM's (Parts Per Millions) within the atmosphere located around the backside of the weld joint...

Also, if you are trying to determine how to judge the weld seam by its color based on what one notices from viewing the weld seam from the front side of the weld joint, then these charts are very often very misleading and should not be used as a reference guide in that sort of application of visual inspection. ;)

Jeff knows a heck of a lot more about all types of stainless steels than most in here including myself, and I always value all of his observations in here even though I don't always agree with some of them!!! :) :) :) However, when it comes to Stainless steels, he's one of the most knowledgeable persons I have come to know regarding the heat input, heat treatment, welding & post welding heat treatment difficulties often encountered when joining some of these particular grades of steel. ;)

These charts are good and useful guides, but should not be used as the end all, gold standard in determining the proper amount of oxygen being displaced from the backside of the weld seam because a decent, calibrated oxygen analyzer will do a much more accurate job in measuring that...

So making sure that all of the factors are considered is the best course of action to take in the final analysis when determining the actual causes of weld discoloration found on either side of the weld seam. ;) I would not as Jeff so eloquently pointed out, depend on the color charts alone in determining how much oxygen the weld seam is being exposed to regardless which side of the joint one is referring to. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-05-2010 10:56
Henry,
You make some good points but I have to query the irrelevance of the colour charts.
A visual inspection is quite often carried out by an inspector after the fact and if he is not there when the weld is performed how can he know what the reading is on the oxygen analyser.
The only criteria he has is the colour of the completed root run.
It does not matter where a weld is made - if for example a titanium weld is welded on top of Mt Everest or in Death Valley and it is blue then it is unacceptable - irrespective of the atmospheric conditions.
Colour charts can vary and I would agree that unless a specific chart was referenced by a specific code / standard then it should not be used to judge a welds acceptibility.
However, client specifications on my last two jobs have given a colour chart to be used for visual inspection of stainless steel, duplex and titanium internals so it was pretty cut and dried,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-10-2010 17:49
I'm not quite sure where I mentioned that the charts were irrelevant since I do remember typing this statement:

"These charts are good and useful guides, but should not be used as the end all, gold standard in determining the proper amount of oxygen being displaced from the backside of the weld seam because a decent, calibrated oxygen analyzer will do a much more accurate job in measuring that..."

Now it doesn't matter which English I choose to interpret that statement, because it does indeed give the charts relevance... Just not the relevance you might have expected. ;)

As far as locations are concerned, from a welding engineering perspective, it does matter because of the differences in the factors I mentioned in my previous post...
Remember your laws of physics when it relates to changes in atmospheric conditions and differences in dew points, relative humidity, changes in locations related to sea level with respect to the amount of purge required to maintain a certain minimum amount of ppm's of Oxygen that are usually required to ensure that the welds will not be exposed to contamination and therefore discolor the welds to  such a degree when compared to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable on the color chart...

In other words, the parameters used to create the color chart wherever the welds were made could not be duplicated verbatim if the location is different with respect to the factors I just listed in the previous paragraph... In fact, a certain amount of "tweeking" (adjustment of the existing parameters from the original color chart) would have to be performed in order to achieve the same results. ;) However, the color charts are indeed relevant! Just not the end all - Gold standard.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-11-2010 14:35
Henry,
I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying - we are just looking at the problem from two totally different perspectives.
You, as an ex-welder are looking at it from a welding engineering perspective and I am looking at it from a welding inspection perspective.

All the parameters you mention are valid but they are only used to ultimately achieve a visually acceptable coloured weld.

I rarely if ever as a Welding Inspector get to witness the actual welding so the only thing I am interested in is the colour of the completed root run that I am inspecting (whether that be with various mirrors or a boroscope) .
If the client gives me a chart they have made up themselves and it has 10 different colours - 5 acceptable and 5 not acceptable then that is my acceptance criteria.
As I stated in a previous post the weld could have been done on the top of Mt Everest or Death Valley - it does not matter - for inspection purposes it either falls in one of two categories - C Complies or DNC Does Not Comply
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-04-2010 15:01
The Danish "Force Institute" now called "Force Technology" has made an exelent reference chart.
It shows various forms of discoloration, with different purge gasses in different SS materials.

A reference chart is the only way to set a criteria for discoloration.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-04-2010 18:11
Like I mentioned earlier... A reference chart is only a "GUIDE", and not an "end all - Gold Standard" when setting criteria for accurately determining the amount of oxygen a weld has been exposed to based on color alone especially when one has to take into account many differing atmospheric conditions, whether or not the welds were performed close to sea level or at higher/lower altitudes, dew point variations, quality grade of shielding/purging gases, etc...

The only way to accurately reference a color chart for one's own specific location is to take all of the factors listed above and use them as they pertain to one's own specific environment/location, because as some of us already know welds do not come out exactly the same unless all of the important environmental conditions are exactly the same, and most of us already know from experience that in reality, this does not happen if one compares the welds produced in let's say - Pittsburgh, PA and Death Valley, CA or Miami, Fl and Denver, CO so long as the differing environmental conditions between these locations are not controlled enough in that there are no variations between them. ;)

Therefore, the environmental conditions surrounding the reference photos of discolored SS welds will ultimately have a role in determining whether or not they were produced under the same environmental conditions as where one is performing their own welds in order to produce the same results. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-05-2010 02:36
Which is why your criteria is not refering to ppm, but rather the actual grade of discoloration :)

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-05-2010 09:07
My criteria??? Surely you jest... BTW, you also missed the points I made which really doesn't surprise me - oh well... Silly me! I thought there was even a slight chance that you might have understood where I was coming from by now, but obviously you still need more time getting familiar with American English as opposed to the "The King's" form of English...

So I'll give you the benefit of knowing that English is not your "native tongue" and often times is confused as well as "lost in translation" ;) ;) ;)
Gee!!! Wasn't there a movie titled with that phrase??? ;) ;) ;) 

How's Shanghai and your pal "nanjing err - nantong?" Having fun sampling the "spirits" being offered??? ;) ;) ;)
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-05-2010 14:08
THE criteria.

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-05-2010 14:15
oh...
Shanghai is great, you should get more out.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-10-2010 18:38
Well that's just great! ;)

Now as far as getting out more, I do so everyday to go fishing for Walleye and Muskie in my backyard that's part of the Allegheny Mountains where the air is soooo much cleaner than Shanghai, and the water is exponentially much cleaner than anything one could find in all of China...

So I only need to stay exploring within the boundaries of my backyard... The Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania - that is! ;)
One can truly find serenity here if they seek it... Hopefully it will stay that way for some time to come. ;)

Did you ever try Bear or Deer meat - Barbecue style ? You really should and since you're in China... You should inquire as to whether or not they may have some available to sample. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-10-2010 23:30
I hear that Panda tastes alot like spotted owl  :)
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-11-2010 03:09
I don't know about those, but I have had sea turtle, and it is good.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-11-2010 05:18
I will try it....

Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-04-2010 16:29 Edited 08-04-2010 16:33
The 2010 AWS catalog, page 18,offers in chart form:
D18.2: 2009 Guide to discoloration levels on inside of Austenitic Stainless Steel Tube.
This is a picture chart that by coloration refers to the PPM of oxygen count in the purge gas.

Tim

http://files.aws.org/catalogs/aws_cat-2010.pdf
- By eekpod (****) Date 07-20-2010 13:21
I used to work w/ stainless steel process piping and had to boroscope the inside welds.  Yes there is a visual color guide that shows the progression from basically no "blueing" all the way over through blue into blackened areas due to the amount of shielding gas.
I have no idea what the document was called but I know it was AWS.  I had to buy a couple and post them around the shop back then, it was only a one or two sided color sheet with photos of welds on it.  Sorry I can't help more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how to judge the stainless steel weld seam by its color?