Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API certifications?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 07-21-2010 02:45
I have been looking at positions overseas and other areas and most of them are oil and gas inspection.  Coming from structural steel is another certification like 653, 570, 510, etc is good enough even though I wouldn't have any experience?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-21-2010 11:28
If you do not have any experience as a tank, vessel or piping inspector or a deep background in these areas, it is going to be hard to qualify to take the API Authorized Inspector certification exams. Welding is only one aspect of these certifications. You would have a easier time breaking into these areas with the CWI, but you will have to come in as a entry or lower level inspector and put in 1-3 years to get the experience.
With your background and certification you should have no problem getting the entry level position if you have no issues with the traveling. You will be competing against people that have years experience in the oil industry. As a API inspector one of your responsibilities is calling in CWI inspectors if necessary or required.
While some overseas positions are hands on, as a rule you are hired as supervision. If your career aspirations are to work overseas in the oil and gas industry, you are looking a a 3-5 year journey beginning as a lower level inspector. I would not hire a inspector with only a structural inspector background to oversee a project. Depending on the size 10 years experience may be the entry point. 
If you like the structural aspect of inspection, consider getting a NACE coating inspector certification. A CWI with structural experience and a NACE coating certification can stay plenty busy. KTA Tator is always on the lookout for  people with this background. Entry level is in the $35-$45 domestic.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 07-21-2010 11:53
Thanks for being honest, this is what I need to hear.  I would really like to get out of structural steel inspection but as everyone knows its really hard to get into something that you don't have any experience in.  I consider myself to be lucky that my boss hired me just as a CWI and no inspection or no UT/MT experience.  Not sure if I would even enjoy that type of work but I do know that D1.1 doesn't get you too far other than where my boss is as a Level III and a SCWI, but he has a lot of experience in many disciplines and industries.  I just want to keep furthering my career and knowledge.  I will keep trying and something will come up.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-21-2010 12:03
Just curious, why do you want to leave the Structural Steel Inspection arena? I can understand wanting to learn other aspects of welding inspection to add to your resume'....sometimes I feel stuck because I have been here so long in one spot doing the same ole D1.1 thing and not learning any of the ASME work. But the work here seems to be steady, well, as steady as it can be in these times.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 07-21-2010 12:50
I guess there are a couple of reasons:

Structural steel as important as it is seems to be the bottom of the barrel for inspection.

I don't really care for heights but don't really mind it, I don't want to be climbing steel everyday.

Seems to be better postions and better pay in areas of ASME or API or other industries.

I would really like to do some traveling but doesn't seem to be worth the money for structural steel or that many postions available, or maybe that is just my experience.

Granted I don't know everything in D1.1 or AISC but I really just want to broaden my resume and build my knowledge base.  I am almost 30 and I just think that there is much more to learn.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-21-2010 17:53
If you are in a area where there is a lot of energy related industries, then getting a job as a inspector in a plant is  easier than if you are in the middle of Indiana. If you go to where the work is, Houston, West Texas, LA/Bakersfield, Tulsa/Ponca City, Corpus Christi there is a better opportunity to get the experience. But you have to believe in yourself and be willing to forge your own career path.
And you have to take the chance. You can succeed, depending on how hard you want to. I started out at 33 as a third party welding inspector on pipelines. It took almost 2 years before somebody gave me the chance and I never looked back.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 07-21-2010 18:16 Edited 07-21-2010 19:25
Thanks for the encouragement.  I work in NC and there are supposed to be some power plants going up soon, but getting in on one of those jobs seems like you have to know the right person.  I would love to do some power plant inspection, I thought they were harder to get into than pipeline work.

How did you get hired as a pipeline inspector?  This is my 4th year in structural steel.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-21-2010 23:07
I dont know how far you are from Greensboro, but contact HMT Inspection. Talk to the manager, tell him what you want to do and see if they will hire you. Check them out so you know what they do and what the company does.
I googled their contact number 7341 West Friendly Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27410-6251
(336) 292-9230
http://www.hmttank.com
I am a former employee of HMT and they are a good organization. Not perfect, but good.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 07-22-2010 15:03
Thanks I will check them out.  They are at least 2 hours away form me, but I will contact them and see what they say.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API certifications?