Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS A5.1
- - By ctate (*) Date 11-06-2003 16:17
Has anyone found AWS A5.1 to show much more than you would find in AWS D1.1? The reason I ask is that I may need to purchase AWS A5.1, but only if it has more to offer than AWS D1.1. I have found in alot of AWS standards that most of the information is very repetative.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-06-2003 18:12
ctate,
Do you mean A5.1 Specification for Carbon Steel Electrodes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding and not the D1.5 Bridge Welding Code? I know that sounds like a dumb question but I saw that mistake made once so I figured I'd ask.

D1.1 is the Structural Steel Welding Code and basically it covers design, prequalified welds, qualification of procedures and personnel, quality criteria, NDE, and other information for welding on structural steel.

A5.1 covers manufacturer's testing for mechanical and chemical properties, hydrogen content, and other "stuff" for welding electrodes. Definitely "apples and oranges"

In most cases, you would not need to purchase A5.1 because the electrode manufacturer already takes care of specification compliance for his products, and you should be able to get a C of C indicating that. Most of the testing would need to be performed in a lab anyway, and not in a shop. A5.1 might be interesting reading (or not depending on your viewpoint) but the end user would not normally need to assure compliance other than to obtain the C of Cs.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2003 18:34
Agreed,
The Cert of Compliance needs to kept on file or you might need the A5.1 spec to prove your electrodes meet the requirements in A5.1. If you received a shipment of rods without the certs., your supplier should be more than happy to fax you over a copy for your records.

Chet,
I think I saw the post you were talking about, and figured from the question that was asked, what was meant.
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 11-07-2003 15:34
I am particularly looking for the baking time and temps for rods.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-07-2003 17:16
I did a 5 minute scan of my 1991 copy of A5.1. There were no charts or tables regarding atmospheric exposure limits that I could find. There is a lot on absorbed hydrogen tests. Also, low-hydrogen electrodes require hermetically sealed packaging. Remember that A5.1 covers a lot of electrodes, some are low-hydrogen and many are not. I'd say save your money and use D1.1.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2003 17:34
Good advise,
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-07-2003 18:55
Check out this link for a useful chart.

http://www.metalsmith.org/edu/materials/weldrodstore.html

Tim
Parent - By ctate (*) Date 11-13-2003 18:18
Thanks Tim,
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS A5.1