Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oilfield work questions
- - By Dark_Angel (*) Date 08-02-2010 04:49
Hello friends, well here is the situation. Where I work as a pipe welder and we may be getting into drilling rig work, well I have worked on the rigs as a welder before but it has been awhile. There was a time when wellheads came up and I know I am easily capable of the welding part. But when I work in the patch before I didn't really do any was just a helper. Basically I am looking from someone who could help explain to me the preparation part to welding on wellheads. I also have some other questions and well it would be great if I could speak to someone over the phone just so I can make sure there are no foggy spots on my end.

Hope to hear from some welders out there on my question. Thanks for your time!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-02-2010 09:26
There is more to setting a Head than can be explained on here or the phone. I would suggest you find someone to teach you or find someone to watch for awhile first.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-02-2010 19:39
C'mon Dwayne!

In a post you made yesterday you said they could be done in an hour and a half.

:::Heh

Ok ... I know... You can do it like that cause you have been doin it for decades and were prolly trained by somebody who knew..
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-02-2010 19:59 Edited 08-02-2010 20:03
Ok Here Goes. How To set a Head. Measure your Stack. Find Your height. Pop a hole in the Conductor. Drain water.Remove conductor to the bottom of the Tin Horn. Stick a Brush Burner Torch in the Head for Preheat. Make rough cut. Find Final cut ( dont forget the offset in the head )and mark. Make the cut. Grind it until PERFECTLY Level. Remove Brush Burner & Set Head. Two Hole to Sub. Tack it off and weld it inside and out.(Unless it is a two piece swivel) Remove plug. Insert test tree. Set nitrogen pressure to 1500 psi and hold for 12-15 minutes. Answer 200 questions from the roughnecks about their BBQ Pit they want you to build. Listen to 14 BS stories from the Roughnecks about how they USED to be a welder. Roll your truck up. get ticket signed.  Now just learn to do it all in an hour and a half !
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 08-02-2010 17:54
find a qualified welder and ride along with them., I agree with cactus there is alot more then meets the eye to putting on a bowl (wellhead).  And if you don't follow someone in the field. Two words PRE HEAT, and pressure test with nitrogen,  regards shannon
- - By hojopens3 (**) Date 08-02-2010 12:26
guess i shoulda made some video's of wellhead installs and put them on you tube
Attachment: wellhead.bmp (802k)
Attachment: cuttincasing.jpg (79k)
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-02-2010 13:13
You Tube's A*S. We can make some together and SELL'EM !! I can see it now,  a "Girls Gone Wild" type of instructional video !
Parent - By hojopens3 (**) Date 08-02-2010 15:39
or atleast sub out as oilfield welding consultants
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 08-02-2010 22:29
Do you have any pictures of the great work you did  for  BP  ?

Now some of those pictures would make GREAT  instructional  videos  !
Parent - - By hojopens3 (**) Date 08-02-2010 23:17
I did not do subsea wellhead work, besides the wellhead did not fail, it was the bottomhole plug combined with riser failure. If you gonna question my ability you better get your facts in line first! I am old school oilfield, I broke out roughnecking in the gulf in 1981 on power rigs, I have over 1,000 documented head installs with ZERO fail rate, I have trained welders, tested welders. I have done work in the Middle East, Africa, and the North Sea. I have driven 12 hrs. to catch a crewboat, ride it out in 15' seas for 6 hrs. hang off a 12x12 Texas deck in 50 mph. winds 100' above the water at nite.I have earned my spot next to the THE WELDING GODS and the Golden Arm Club. If you care to step up and prove you have the ability, grit, and nerves to run with the big dogs I will be more than happy to make a call and make sure you have the oppurtunity to prove yourself on a rig.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 08-03-2010 00:17
that's impressive!
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 08-03-2010 19:43
I have done all kinds of stuff -   Ever heard of  Brown & Root  or Haliburton  ?
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 08-03-2010 22:39
I have, but I don't think you were asking me. for the record halliburton sucks!. they call me all the time to weld. i just hang up. can't stand them
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oilfield work questions