Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / QC Field Structural Steel Inspector Position
- - By eekpod (****) Date 07-27-2010 18:51
Large Structural Steel Fabricator and Erector seeks an experienced field QC inspector to monitor erection activities on construction projects in the NY and CT,and RI area.
Applicant must have a minimum of 5 years experience in steel construction and be familier with AISC, AWS, and RCSC codes.  AWS CWI and New York City Special Inspector Certification is beneficial.  Experience with skidmore wilhelm bolt testing, erection procedures and local and state codes is required.
There is extensive travel expected with this position in the New England region.  Company vehicle to be supplied.
Send resume to;
Capco Steel
33 Acorn St.
Providence, RI 02886
or fax to 401- 861-1221 Attn QA
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-02-2010 13:42
no responces yet.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-02-2010 22:30
People must not be as hard up for work as was previously thought. 

Thought about it.  Even told my wife about it.  Not sure we want to leave AZ warmth for New England winters.  And I am still working at both the shop and inspections. 

Now you have a Response....LOL!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-03-2010 10:16
LOL, thanks for the "responce" if that's what you can call it. :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-03-2010 14:14
Providence, that's just a hop, skip, and a jump from New Britain, CT, home of the most exciting event in New England, the Welder's Rendezvous!

Capco should think about having an information booth at no charge at the Welder's Rendezvous. Just tell them Al Moore sent you and they'll treat you as if you were "King for the Day".

You can be a judge for the Welder's Competition!

Give me a call 860-693-8208.

By the way, I worked for your boss when he worked for Thames Valley Steel in New London. TVS broke up and Capco was formed just after I left the trades.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-03-2010 15:01
Al,

We need some more like you out here in AZ helping us give this section a kick start. 

We talked about doing a similar event.  Trying to figure out why you are not getting better response, at least out of your more local guys.  In a way I understand Cactus and some of the others.  Distance is a major factor these days with the economy like it is. 

BUT, there was a day, people travelled for a good many miles to attend and participate in events like this.  Not just in welding.  Shooting events, rodeos, speaking contests, etc. 

We have gotten so wrapped up in our own little worlds that we don't want to be put out even for bragging rights and the opportunity to network on a broader scale.

Now that I am backing myself into a corner,  this Friday, the day of your event is our 33rd anniversary and our pastor is having surgery the same day.  Don't feel I can leave AZ right now.  Now, if you can wait a couple of weeks till our daughter-in-law has another grandchild for us back in IN I could maybe be persuaded to travel east a bit further.  Like that would ever happen.

Sorry for the hijack Chris.  Good luck filling your vacancy.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-03-2010 15:51 Edited 08-11-2010 13:34
You are absolutely correct about folks not participating in professional organizations to the extent they did in the past.

Our local section of ASNT has not had a meeting in three years. Reason, only a handful of people (usually the executive committee) were showing up for the meetings.

There is a multitude of reasons for not attending meetings of ASME, ASNT, AWS, etc. I am a guilty as the next fellow. I am on the road more these days and when I am home, I enjoy being able to plop down to watch an evening of television with my wife. Not that the entertainment is all that great, I have just gotten older and have less energy than I did twenty years ago. I sometimes question the effort required to get dressed and drive to some remote location to listen to a speaker or go on a plant tour. It is too easy to lounge on the couch with my pants unbuttoned, cold glass of milk in one hand, and a fist full of cookies in the other.

There are so many organizations pulling at you for your time and expertise, you have to decide where to put your efforts. You cannot attend every meeting of every professional organization you are a member of. There simply is not enough time to do so. For that one reason I, as chairman of our local section, have tried to have joint meetings with other organizations when the opportunity arises. Our section has had joint meeting with ASNT and ASM. Many of our AWS members belong to one or both organizations. ASME; we did not have any joint meeting with them. That is my fault because I lost contact with the ASME officers at the local level.

More and more people are expected to put in hours of "off-the-clock" time doing office work at home. Companies provide laptops to their desk jockeys and they expect their employees to use them during their off-hours.

Companies used to support the professional organizations by encouraging their employees to participate in the operations of the organizations. Many companies have very shortsighted goals and efforts that do not produce results in the short term are not part of the employer’s plan. I remember when Hartford Steam Boiler stopped subsidizing their employee’s membership in AWS, half of our executive board vaporized the day the announcement was made. 

Many people underrate the importance of networking when they are gainfully employed. The need for a strong network of friends and acquaintances only seem to be important when looking for a new employment opportunity. We all know the one or two blokes we see at meetings once every five years when they are looking for a new job. From my own prospective, I do not recommend people for jobs if I only met them once or twice. On the other hand, if I have a long-standing relationship with someone and I know their areas of expertise, I do not hesitate to make recommendations when the opportunity affords itself.  

You can count the reasons why people do not attend meetings of AWS, ASNT, ASM, or ASME on your fingers and toes. You will run out of digits before you run out of legitimate reasons not to show up at meetings.

It can be a daunting task to develop programs that draw enough interest to bring people to the meetings. I have been very fortunate to have an executive committee that has been very active in organizing meetings and following through with their commitments. I, on the other hand, have been on the road for the majority of the meetings we held this year. I have depended on my executive committee and they have stepped forward when I needed them. I owe them my thanks for a job well done.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-03-2010 17:37
Al,
If we had more welders who had their own equiptment I would have posted it in the shop, but all our "shop guys" use the companys equiptment in the shop, they don't have their own.
Our field guys, well it's our equiptment, and I know I don't want to ask the owner if they could use his equiptment on his time to partake in this.  If they do this again, give me more of a heads up and I'll spread the word.
I did the same thing with that show for the Discovery channel or whatever that was a few months ago from Ross.
Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-03-2010 17:38
Thanks for the thought.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 13:31
Hello Chris;

Did you take a look at my latest post regarding the Welder's Rendezvous? A fellow from RI took the grand prize!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / QC Field Structural Steel Inspector Position