Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scarfing Powder
- By rshanks (**) Date 08-02-2010 21:48
I'm going to qualifiy SAW procedures using Scarfing Powder (Oxweld 200), D1.1 @ Table 4.5 essential variable under Filler Metal shows the addition  of supplemental powdered filler metal or a increase in the amount of supplemental powdered filler metal . Where can I find information in regards to how much is allowable in a given joint? Running a square groove , 1/4" plate 572-50 with a root opening when using scarfing powder from 3/16 to 1/4, with L61, 3/32 dia wire. Square Wave  in CC mode? I don't think i've ever seen or read any thing on allowable limit of scarfing powder?
- - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 08-02-2010 22:24
How are you going to control the addition?   How will you UNIFORMLY  add  a fine powder   to a coarse

agglomerated  material  ?   ?    ?    ?
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-03-2010 10:18
What is "scarfing powder" I have never heard of it before.
- - By rshanks (**) Date 08-03-2010 18:13
Iron Powder (is also known as scarfing powder), Used it all the time building rail cars, working under AWS D15.1, It's primary use was on CZ material (center sills) , Arcelor was the only manufacture of CZ , it came from Germany, Do to the fact they was the only producer of CZ they laughed at the tollerances required by the AAR and FRA , we was running this CZ material with gaps up to 5/16" to 3/8" this material was 17/32 thick . We filled the root up to a 1/4" deep with the iron powder, we was running Tandem Arc ,front head was DC running L-61 , 3/16 wire ,rear head AC -5/32 wire. I no longer work under AWS D15.1 , but if I remember correctly the amount of iron powder was not a essential variable and the PQR didn't show the the amount ( ounces or pounds ) used.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-03-2010 18:59
sounds like some serious stuff, good luck with that.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-03-2010 19:03
Very interesting.  Hadn't heard of that but then SAW is not a process I have been invoved in since about 1982. 

Good Luck, keep us informed as to what you find out.

Mainly posted to say,  WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM rshanks.  Glad to have you aboard. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scarfing Powder