Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weldable Primers?????
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-06-2010 19:03
Everyday I weld on this metal at work and there is what they call a weldable primer on it which I think is total BS because it's like worse then welding on Galvenise meaning it pops so freaking much. I personally think it's something to sell to the buyers to make more money but makes my life a living H*LL. I sand this crap off trying to make it weld better and to keep me from getting so burned up. Everytime I stick weld at home I feel like I'm tig welding meaning it hardly throws any sparks compared to this stuff.

So question here this weldable primer that I deal with everyday I really question my welds of how good of quality they really are. Have yall heard of this stuff or know anything about it?? I mean for this crap to be poping so much I can't be making good sound welds.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-06-2010 19:39
Too many mils of the stuff, is probably your biggest obstacle. Therfore grinding it off is the only real solution.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-06-2010 19:58
I once worked in a shipyard that used "weldable" primer. I think it was called "Dimetcoat" or something like that. I recall it working pretty well, but I was inspecting at the time, not welding...
What type of primer is being used where you are?

Tim
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 08-07-2010 01:09
Question if you are concerned about the quality of your welds why wouldn't you just grind it clean in the first place.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-07-2010 01:15
Bloxide (about $35 a 12 oz. rattle can) is one trade name for the weldable (aluminum oxide based) primer. I have seen where some schiesters have used anything that looks similar in an attempt to save money, thinking no one would know the difference!
Weldable or not, many specs require cleaning to bare metal prior to welding, sooo........the weldable primer becomes an expensive and moot issue.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-07-2010 03:06
Well at first these idiots were like no we don't want yall to sand or grind it off well you can't weld that stuff you'll be buying new shirts everyday. After everything is all fit up you just grind and sand the best you can but the edges of the metal there not cleaning before the fit up. I don't know the name of the primer but it's like this sh*t is baked on there and after it all gets welded they sandblast the paint off before they paint it and all so the only thing that makes sence is to charge the customer more money buy useing this stuff. I do work near salt water but I don't think that matters because for years they use to not prime the metal from what I hear and there are alot of other parts that don't get this paint on them.

I'm just really currious of the quality of my welds when welding on this stuff. I've been currious of this stuff for years now. I know the company will not stop useing the primer but just am currious about it. I wouldn't dare ask any QC person there because they will talk a load of bull so I wanted to investigate it here for myself.

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2010 16:11 Edited 08-08-2010 18:11
There is a new specification available from AWS that deals with "qualifying" weldable primer paints.

The gist of the qualification test is:
Weld a T-joint that is painted with the “test” paint primer.
Weld one side with a fillet weld.
Weld the opposite side of the joint with another fillet weld.
Remove the first fillet by grinding, carbon arc gouging, etc.
Perform a fillet break test on the second weld that was deposited.
Evaluate the second weld for defects.

It is pretty evident that the first weld is going to blister and burn off a good amount of the paint present on the second side before the second weld is deposited. I have a difficult time imagining this test proves much of anything other than to give the paint manufacturers and the shipyards a method to hoodwink their customers and the American public into believing these paints are actually “weldable primers.”

I am forced to ask myself if ANY paint would fail this test? My gut reaction is that anyone that takes the time to read this specification will recognize this document for what it is.

As if our lungs do not already have to withstand the onslaught of fumes that include heavy metals, oxides, and who knows what else. Did this committee completely forget that one goal of AWS is to preserve the health of the welders that have to do the work? Maybe our savior will be OSHA and their requirement that the coating not produce objectionable, hazardous, or noxious fumes! Surely, I as a welder can no longer turn to AWS for guidence in preserving my well being. I cannot believe I am about to say, “Please, please OSHA save me from the idiots that wrote this standard!”

Just to be clear on this, I reread and revised my post several times and thought to myself that maybe I am being a tad too critical. My conclusions were always the same; the specification is what it is and there is no way to wash the brown stains out. They can slap a red cover on front and back, but it is still crap in between, period. I can only tell people to wear latex gloves when reading it. I can only hope none of the other AWS committees developing welding standards and codes adopt it.  No matter how many times I've  revised my post in an attempt to mellow my characterization of the new specification, I cannot do it.

This is just my humble opinion of my world as I perceive it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-07-2010 18:27 Edited 08-09-2010 02:45
I guess it is like Dad always said "If it sounds too good to be true, It probably is"

I can understand a manufacturer wanting to protect parts against rust while in storage.

I can understand them wanting to save time and not have to remove the paint before welding.

I can understand a company trying to make paint that fills this need.

I CAN'T understand AWS making up a ******** qualification endorsing such a product if it really doesn't work.

If this product can be made to work if applied properly, the standard needs to be directed at the application process.

I sure was tired when I typed this, full of spelling errors, and I probably haven't fixed them all.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-08-2010 00:00
I started doing some reading lastnight about these primers and all I can say is thank guy I use a 3M repirator that filters out all the toxic cr*p. I have to buy these myself because the worthless company I work for doesn't want to spend the money instead they buy a $0.19 cents each crappy charcole mask for there welders to wear which leak.

Thanks everyone for replying. The balistic steel I weld on is for to save our troops lives and I'm scared for there lives everytime I weld on this so called weldable primer if my welds are good or not. I just do the best I possibly can with cleaning this crap but I dought it is really helping that much.

I keep thinking there has got to be other places to work that care more about quality then speed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weldable Primers?????