Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / new or used what do you expect
- - By KSellon (****) Date 08-11-2010 17:46 Edited 08-11-2010 17:54
After a purchase do you expect to have to change the oil, or tighten a bolt?

Here is why I ask. A completely rebuilt 68 w/ 1 yr parts warranty was welded with in my shop by 2 people. The first a non 798 hand for 2 hours, the second a Mr.Bowlware a 798 hand for 6 hours. I had both men check her from bow to stern as if it was their own. Neither found any problems and loved the machine. So I put it up for sale.

The buyer is now in PA. The oil seal on the governor has failed and is leaking down the front engine mount (a warrantiable issue). He is in a panic. 2 days later he calls saying it won't start so I ask him to check the wires at the alternator, his response "whats an alternator and what does it look like". I told him to go to an auto parts store, have them remove and check the alternator. If its faulty I will warranty it for you with a check. They replace the alternator and the next day it fails (diodes).

His response to this: call, cuss and yell and belittle everyone in sight.

Mechanical parts failure happens with NEW machines. Every 6 months like clock work. I had a welder build a pipe fence around my house, 3 months later some clips bust loose and a top rail weld cracked out-- did I call and yell, didi I get mad when he didn't want to warranty the work-- YOU BET YA!!! But I didn't yell piss or moan. I got it fixed.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 08-20-2010 05:20 Edited 08-20-2010 05:25
Brand new?  Hook up the battery, check the oil levels and fill'r up!

But it really doesn't matter if a machine is new or used as they can both have the potential to develop problems fairly early on down the road.  It isn't really predictable.

Yes, it can be frustrating if a machine conks out, but if it conks out while under warranty, setback as it is, at least it's covered.  There isn't really a need for a customer to overreact to the situation at hand.  Rectify the problem and move on.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / new or used what do you expect