Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section IX, Qualification and couponing
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 08-11-2010 11:59
Hi all,

We are in the quoting stage of procuring material for a large Hastelloy job. These assemblies are not complex at all. But the customer does require us to provide PQR,WPS and WPQR documentation.

We are fillet welding a large 1.880" THK flange to 3/4" Sch 80 pipe. (Approx 1.050 WA). The flange has a machined hole through the center that the pipe will go all the way through with 5" coming out the top and 10" coming out the bottom.

It is my understanding that we can perform a Butt Weld on (2) lengths of pipe to be qualified for all fillet welds within the thickness range of the pipe. Correct?

Also being that the assembly is pipe to flange, would the pipe to pipe butt weld be an acceptable coupon sample if the pipe material is the same material as the assembly? The customer did not provide any code detail in there documentation and we have had a tough time with clear guidance, this is a biopharm app, so we are following Section IX.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 13:27
If you do not have a copy of ASME Section IX, you need to get one.

Your WPS will be qualified for both grooves and fillets once you have passed all the required tests for a grooved weld joint.

Likewise, a welder that passes the performance tests using a grooved weld joint will be qualified for fillets and grooves.

As always, remembering what the letters in "ASME" stand for, make sure you have a clear understanding of the "Always, Sometimes, Maybes, and Excepts" included in Section IX and the applicable construction code. The construction code can and often does modify the requirements of Section IX.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2010 15:39
I just looked on-line to get the new edition of Section IX. It isn't availble in the pdf format. It is only available as hard copy which means I have to carry it around with me! The horror! What's wrong with ASME?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-12-2010 17:56
Al,
Maybe they know your fondness for donuts and figure you need a little extra exercise.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2010 18:28
You think that's the reason?

I do hope they come out with Section IX as a pdf. The airlines only allow so much weight in the baggage and those books add up fast.

Best regards - Al

P.S. they are cutting into my carry-on donut capacity! Section IX, donuts, Section IX, donuts....... That's is a hard call to make when you're running through the airport!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-12-2010 22:05
Hmmm...not sure where you looked, but I got mine from the IHS website a couple of weeks ago.  Try http://www.ihserc.com.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-13-2010 00:35 Edited 08-13-2010 00:40
I found the 2010 edition of Section IX in hardcopy, but I could find it as a downloadable pdf.

One vendor had Section IX on-line, but that means you have to have access to the internet inorder to use it. That's not always available when you are on the shop floor.

I just when to their website. The only thing they didn't require was a credit reference and a credit card just to provide me with a quoted price for the code section.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-12-2010 16:40
It is my understanding that we can perform a Butt Weld on (2) lengths of pipe to be qualified for all fillet welds within the thickness range of the pipe. Correct? 

Yes, you are correct kind of because fillet welds will fall in to unlimited thickness with a groove weld qualification.

Also being that the assembly is pipe to flange, would the pipe to pipe butt weld be an acceptable coupon sample if the pipe material is the same material as the assembly? The customer did not provide any code detail in there documentation and we have had a tough time with clear guidance, this is a biopharm app, so we are following Section IX. 

Depends on if the flange is the same material as the pipe.  If you can qualify your procedure with the exact same materials that will be used in production, that will be just fine.  Some people will try and go the cheaper route and use a cheaper material that falls into the same material class or p-number as the material to be used in production.

Hope that helps ya out!
Kix
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 08-13-2010 12:18
Thx Kix,

One more for ya,

If we use a positioner for the qualification, Do we have to use a positioner on each joint? The lenth of the pipe may cause problems for positioner use on the final weld (Pipe straitnes). So we will be stuck doing that one by hand.

Appreciate your guidance.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-13-2010 18:45 Edited 08-14-2010 00:15
I'm pretty sure If you roll the pipe out on a positioner and weld it from the top only, you will fall under all 1G essential variables.  So yes, you will have to use the positioner in production if it is rotating during the PQR test.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-13-2010 23:47
TheSavvy1,
Position of test coupon is a non essential variable for your PQR (QW 405)
The only time it gets a bit more involved is if you require impact testing. Then it is a Supplementary Essential Variable.
If you weld your PQR coupon in the positioner then you can still use that procedure for all positions.
Different story for your welder qualification though - 1G in the positioner qualifies you for Flat only,
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section IX, Qualification and couponing