Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Running welder off of generator
- - By safeclean Date 11-09-2003 23:50

Hi
I am new to this board but have been following it for a while.I have two snap on welders a ya219b 110 volt and a ya212ia 220 volt with mig and tig capabilities,and daytona mig 30 amp plasma cutter(cebora-italy).
I have a ud box truck,that I have installed a kohler 10kw watercolled 1800rpm generator that is rated at 42 amps.I was planning on using the ya212ia as a mobile unit ,and run it off the generator.The ya212ia needs a 40amp outlet to run properly.I am planning on purchasing a spool gun and doing mobile repairs on aluminum walking floor,and dump trailers which I have many contacts with alot of companies.I was wondering on your thoughts about this setup and any comments on these welders.

THANKS!
JIM
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-10-2003 03:08
I see no reason why that setup shouldn't work fine. I'm unfamiliar with those machines so no advice there. Good luck.
Bill
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 11-10-2003 03:58
You probably won't be operating the welder at it's max capacity. My 200 amp Hobart runs at 100 amps output with .035 wire. The 220 volt current input is 17 amps when I am welding at this setting.
Parent - By safeclean Date 11-10-2003 04:19

Thanks for the replies.The snap on YA212IA has a 230amp max rating at a 60 percent duty cycle.It is actually made by a company called systematics,who also makes it for daytona mig they call it the boss250.it's funny it is the same welder and snap on sells it for$2800 with their name on it and daytona mig sell it for $1500 with their name on it,guess thats how the snap on man makes his cut lol! I actually bought it on ebay last year for $425 and had to pick it up in rhode island.
JIM
Parent - By peter vacco (*) Date 11-16-2003 01:28
but ya'll rmember that when the volts go down, the amps go UP. soooo .. if you have situation where the generater slows down (IDLES, OR RUNS OUTTA FUEL), you "may" run the risk of sucking excess amps thru it, or your welder. both of which have caused burned boards etc.
thermodynamics years ago made a suitcase plasma cutter that was EXtremely vulnerable to this sort of thing, which was kind of lame seeing as one would buy a small plasma just so he could take it to job sites...
just keep in mind that generator electricty isn't the same dependable thing that what comes out the plug in the shop..cheers
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Running welder off of generator