Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beam Rolling
- - By swnorris (****) Date 08-23-2010 10:25
We have a spiral staircase that's made from three rolled beams side by side.  The beams are spaced 3'-0" or so apart from each other and there will be a 1/2" cover plate on top.  The flanges are parallel to the floor.  The inner beam is a W33 x 169, the center beam is a W33 x 291, and the outer beam is a W33 x 318.  Does anone know who could roll these beams? I've checked a couple places and the sections are too heavy.  We may end up having to have plates rolled to make up these sections, so I may end up looking for someone who can roll flange and web plates.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-23-2010 12:22
You are talking about rolling three parallel helixes here.  I have had problems in the past just getting 8" Sch 80 316SS pipe rolled that way for an AESS spiral stairway in a residence.  Unless it is a very large radius and low slope, (like a sweep you might find in a parking garage ramp,) I would recommend getting a change order so that you can use fabricated members.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-23-2010 15:32
Call Chicago Metal Rolled Products, 800-798-4504 you can ask for Gary Sheridan, they might be able to do the job. They roll some pretty big stuff, check their site......

http://www.cmrp.com/
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 08-27-2010 12:03
That's who I use they have an impressive operation.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2010 20:10
Scott,

I know we are on opposite sides of the country, but, you could also try:

Arbogast Construction, Inc; Fort Mohave, AZ
1 (928) 788-2653
acirolling@frontiernet.net

Ask for Kevin.  They are about the biggest in AZ and most of the West Coast.  They have done some pretty good sized pieces for me but those are even bigger.  They have also done rectangular tubing for me in a helical for a spiral as you are asking for.  They were so very close from my measurements that it took almost no tweaking to get it done.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-23-2010 23:58
Thanks guys!!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-27-2010 13:17
Enerfab in Texas?
Hodgson Custom Rolling in New York?
Greiner Industries?

I'd be surprised to learn that anyone in the world has rolling equip capable of rolling those big beams...

Tim
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-30-2010 21:51
These are to spiral around?

The flanges will probably have to be cut-curved (rather than trying to bend a plate the "hard way" without buckling it) and then "opened" by some mechanical means into the helix shape.  Probably a rhombus cut combined with rolling for the webs.  You might as well incorporate the cover plate thickness into your top flange plate.

You'll need the engineer of record to okay your built-up section and the welds to put it together with.  Keep in mind it may not be enough just to match the W-section flange and web thicknesses.

Hg
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-01-2010 13:15
We have used this company before look them up http://www.hardwickcompany.com/ they are located in Birmingham, Al.

M.G.
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-01-2010 16:31
Looks good on paper don't it?  Now lets see you fab it.  IMO built up beams or someone will be sorry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beam Rolling