Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please inturpert this weld symbol?
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-21-2010 19:08
I've always had trouble with this one.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-21-2010 19:40
Square groove butt weld on arrow side.  No size specified or notes otherwise in tail, therefore complete joint penetration is required.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-21-2010 21:28
MBSims
Shouldn't that be, that it could be a Square Groove Weld arrow side, and the joint is possibly a Butt Joint or a corner joint, or even a T-Joint? But without seeing the material it may not be a butt Joint?
Marshall
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 08-21-2010 22:37
I agree, it could be a butt, tee or corner joint.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-22-2010 19:53
Response by MBSims..."No size specified or notes otherwise in tail, therefore complete joint penetration is required."

Are you sure?  Can you show me where it is written as you say by AISC or AWS?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2010 22:23 Edited 08-22-2010 22:55
Skaggy,

Check and compare D1.1, Clause 2.2.5.3 with A2.4, 6.2.2.  Either one answers your question, put them both together and they make a pretty complete statement as too how to interpret weld symbols without dimensions.

I don't have my AISC at home to check if they reference this issue or not.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

Edit: While in practical application it is a CJP because it is designated as such in D1.1, Clause 2.22.5.3, it is defined in D1.1 as   ..."a weld that will develop the adjacent base metal strength in tension and shear." 
A2.4  ..."weld that extends through the thickness of the joint".
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-22-2010 23:51
I could see the butt joint and corner but the tee is stumping me. How would it apply for a tee joint?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2010 00:24 Edited 08-23-2010 03:10
All three can have a bevel groove weld.  Just don't think of it as a corner joint welded with a Fillet Weld or a tee joint welded with a Fillet Weld.

I'll see if I can put up a pic for illustration. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 08-31-2010 01:54
Sorry to take so long getting back on this one.  As mentioned above, here are the words in AWS D1.1 clause 2.2.5.3:

"The welding symbol without dimension and without CJP in the tail designates a weld that will develop the adjacent base metal strength in tension and shear."

And from AWS A2.4:

"6.2.2 Complete Joint Penetration
Omitting the depth of bevel and groove weld size dimensions from the welding symbol requires a groove weld that extends through the thickness of the joint [See Figure 12(D) and (E), Figures 18 and 19, as well as Annex D6.2.2]."

Commentary in A2.4:

"D6.2.2 Complete Joint Penetration
Complete joint penetration is defined as penetration of weld metal through the thickness of a joint with a groove weld. The simplest way of specifying such a groove weld is to show no dimension to the left  of the groove weld symbol. This is the intent of 6.2.2. There are other ways by which complete joint penetration can be specified, including:

Subclause 6.2.4 - Use of nonsymmetrical and symmetrical double-groove welds,

Subclause 6.2.8 - Inclusion of "CJP" in the tail of the welding symbol,

Subclause 6.7 - Back or backing welds, and

Subclause 6.8 - Joints with backing.

The provision in 6.2.8 is included for use on design drawings where there is insufficient information available as to what equipment might be used or, in some cases, what company or organization might do the work.  For example, the design drawings might be completed prior to the job being submitted for bids. In these situations, it is considered good practice to require the successful bidder to submit construction drawings complete with detailed welding symbols for review. The other methods identified above require knowledge of the specific welding situation and also the requirements of any codes or specifications that might apply."
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-23-2010 03:13
Possible three interpretations depending on the drawing that symbol was found on.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2010 03:16
Thank you for posting those illustrations.  Just got home from evening church service and was having trouble getting the ones I had to attach.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-23-2010 04:26
Hi, should it be like this?
Attachment: doublesquaregroove.pdf (35k)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-23-2010 11:23
Joey,
  If the intent is to have it welded on both sides then yes. But as asked and depicted by the OP, no it is only welded on one side, the arrow side of the joint.

jrw159
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-24-2010 02:34
jrw159

Yes, you are correct :)

But mine is correct too, see attached basic welding symbol.

Regards
Joey
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2010 03:00
Well thats confusing.

I wonder why it's that way.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2010 03:07
Joey,

You asked "should it be like this?" and included a link for a drawing of a weld symbol for a butt joint welded from both sides.

John is right and you are WRONG as per the OP's question and information desired.  Just because your welding symbol is a proper weld symbol doesn't mean it or you are CORRECT as to the current thread.

The OP asked for interpretation help on a weld symbol of a butt joint welded from one side without any other information.  As previously stated, it is a CJP per D1.1 & A2.4.  The joint geometry is specified by the weld symbol along with the side from which the welding is to be done.  See also Figures 12 (D) & (E), Figures 18 & 19 and Annex D6.2.2 in A2.4.

If they had wanted it, or possibly if it had the accessability to be, done from both sides THEN they would have specified the symbol you indicated.  But that was not the OP's question and thus the answer to your post, "should it be like this?", is 'NO'. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-24-2010 04:01 Edited 08-24-2010 04:40
Brent,

Your judgment has merit.

But in reality have you often seen that welding symbol (square groove) being used for T-joint?  CJP one side welding?

That is the reason I asked "should it be like this".

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 08-24-2010 04:38 Edited 08-24-2010 08:15
See it a lot for corners... i.e; flush endcaps
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-24-2010 04:43
I've seen also but not CJP. Mostly with fillet weld reinforcement.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-25-2010 11:09
Joey
If you saw the O.P.'s original symbol pointing to a cap plate on the end of a Tube column it is to be a CJP weld according to AWS D1.1 and A 2.4.

This would require either Steel Backing, or Weldor and wps for 6GR Qualification, or a qualified procedure approved by the E.O.R.

If the symbol you posted were on a print it would indicate to me that the Engineer doesn't care from which side the joint is welded from but it still would be CJP as there are no sizes indicated.
Marshall
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 08-25-2010 12:04
Yes you are correct "Engineer doesn't care from which side the joint is welded from but it still would be CJP as there are no sizes indicated."
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2010 14:35
Key word: "often".  Not nearly as often as other symbols, including the one you referenced.  But, yes I have seen it several times.  There are many applications where you can not get to the other side.  Doesn't matter rather it is Butt, Tee, or Corner.  You don't always have access to both sides of the joint.

If we want to go by what is seen the most,  Fillet Welds.

I think all engineers must have a computer program that automatically defaults to the Fillet Weld weld symbol anytime they forget to put one in because I have seen it in so many places where it was OBVIOUS it wasn't correct for the job, joint, connection, etc.

My comment was based upon the OP's question and the symbol he included in his post.  I hope no offense was taken at my previous response to your post.  Didn't mean it that way.  Just that, while that is a proper symbol and probably more used than the one in question, it was not actually applicable to the question at hand. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-25-2010 00:21
Hi guys,
How can you possibly weld CJP from one side with a square groove preparation ?.
I have seen that exact symbol on a drawing this morning and just laughed.
I wonder what planet our detailers are on at times.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-25-2010 01:21
Shane,
  Since there is no information given as to material, dimensions, process ect. this is a valid question.

I have seen this symbol used a lot in the joining of .090 and .110 wall HSS, 1/8" to 1/4" plate as well as sheet metal. Proper joint preparation combined with utilizing the joint configuration parameters can easily result in CJP in a variety of situations.

I have also ran across this symbol and thought to myself "What a lazy draftsman.... damn. Don't we have a guy that checks these drawings? There are initials in the "checked by" box. Sunofabitsh."

It is achievable but we do not know if it is achievable in this situation.   

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2010 03:44
In the Annex of A2.4, Clause 6.2.2 it is stated that this is the "simplest" way of specifying a CJP. 

As we have little information around this symbol it would seem pointless to speculate further than that a CJP is what is implied according to D1.1 and A2.4.  That was the extent of the OP's question as well or we would have more info.

There are also comments in A2.4 about this being common for bidding drawings and that the chosen contractor would have more complete drawings approved before the work begins.  The important information being conveyed is that it is to be a CJP weld. 

We have no idea how accessible both sides of the joint are.  What thickness the material is.  And other factors mentioned by John.

I have been looking for something specific that would indicate that how one gets to the finished condition is not important.  Just because it is shown as a square butt joint, since it is to be CJP, is a bevel weld excluded from achieving this?  We are told only that the final result is to be a CJP weld.  No other dimensions are given.  But are there restrictions?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-25-2010 08:55
Shane Feder
As Brent mentions the intent of this symbol is CJP.
The Engineer drawing what is required to achieve the strength on the joining member has no idea of the methods,  equipment,  or procedures the fabricator has.
It is the responsibility of the fabricator to produce the depicted weld. This to AWS D1.1 requires either steel backing or backgouging and a wps.
Marshall
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-26-2010 16:43
Shane Feder
In AWS D1.1 Figure 3.4 Prequalified CJP Groove Welded Joint Details
It starts out with the first three Prequalified Joint details are Square Groove, there are joint details for butt Joints, corner Joints, and T-Joints. Some with Backing and some with backgouge.
As I stated earlier somewhere in all this that the Engineer has no idea how my WPS's read, I might backgouge everything to satisfy AWS D1.1, or I might use steel Backing.
Unless it is specified by the engineer it is my option. Instead of him making a connection that might incur additional costs for me the fabricator he allows for me and my detailers to decide and present our Joining practice for approval.
Does the picture get clearer.
Best Regards
Marshall
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 08-25-2010 12:09
No offense at all :)
- - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-25-2010 00:47 Edited 08-25-2010 00:56
I recently took the CWI exam.  The symbol appears to be a Square Groove Weld/Arrow Side with no other info specified. 
If the symbol specified Full Penetration, shouldn't it have a Melt-Through symbol????  At least that's what my study material suggests and it has an example of this weld symbol showing a full penetration square groove weld with Melt-Through symbol.
I'm just a newby so don't flame me too much :)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-25-2010 09:47
Marshall,
The amount of confusion just in this post shows that some pretty knowledgable people were not conversant with its meaning.

I am even more confused after reading Brents post (and I must admit I never knew what it meant, I presumed square groove as well)
AWS A2.4 Errata shows an arrow with CJP in the tail and states "Indicates Complete Joint Penetration regardless of type of weld or joint geometry"

Surely that is a more logical symbol than a square groove detail that has managed to confuse a good few of us ?

Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-25-2010 10:26 Edited 08-25-2010 16:17
Shane
AWS A 2.4 clause 4.2.2 I believe has it the omittion of size makes it CJP.
Check it out.
Marshall
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-25-2010 11:23
I tend to agree with Shane "I wonder what planet our detailers are on at times."

There are times and places where one can make a CJP square butt groove weld but as often as not the detailers / designers simply place that symbol to indicate the "type" of joint and forget that if size isn't mentioned it becomes a CJP by default (personally don't think this is a good instruction by the standards, but it is what it is).

Marty's response was correct.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-25-2010 11:47
Jon
If the contract prints show the symbol shone by the O.P. the codes and standards say it is a CJP and my detailer will either detail it that way or submit an R.F.I.
As to the knowledge of weld symbols the Detailer or even the Engineer has, is not relevant to me.
If the structure collapses and the only weld that is found to be wrong is a Butt Joint that was detailed as the O.P. posted and was found to be anything other than CJP who will pay?
If I disagree with this symbol's placement for what ever reason I need to address it to the Engineer of Record otherwise give them a CJP, ( I do send a lot of RFI's).
As you say"(personally don't think this is a good instruction by the standards, but it is what it is).
Marshall
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-25-2010 11:57
I am almost willing to bet my next paycheck that the detailer copied that symbol straight off the contract drawings. Seen that happen far too many times with our sub-contract detailers. I call them up to clarify what their intent was, only to find that they copied it straight off the structural drawings.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-25-2010 14:03 Edited 08-25-2010 14:15
The problem can be summed up easily with a couple of questions, comments, and observations.

Where do most welders learn to weld?

Response: On the job. They only know what the man next to him taught him. The information may be correct or totally incorrect. Example: Where does the water that forms on the surface of the steel plate come from when it is preheated with a torch?

Observation: Most engineers and designers learn what they know about welding on the job. Any misinformation they have heard is accepted as gospel. Many engineers use "Marks Handbook for Engineers" as their source of information about welding symbols. From the editions I've seen, most contain numerous errors regarding the welding symbol. One recent edition depicted welding symbols that predated 1976, which is the edition that included a number of fundamental changes made by AWS A2.4 committee.

I review welding symbols in several courses I teach. I use the latest version of A2.4 as the basis of the information I present. The comments I hear are a little unnerving.

"That's the way I'm supposed to show that?"

“That’s how that symbol is interpreted?”

I did a short presentation to a professional meeting for structural engineers in the local area. I gave them a short quiz as an introduction to the presentation on current welding symbols. Not one of the engineers in attendance got the symbols correct. Needless to say, it got their attention and I had a very attentive audience that evening.

My advice is, when in doubt, call the designer, detailer, and engineer and let them provide the information needed, even if it means they have to revise the drawing and the symbols used.

Some design professionals are very creative and “design” their own welding symbols. I call them “Kalvin Kline” symbols (no disrespect intended). For example, one drawing included a welding symbol with the supplemental symbol shown in the attachment. When I asked the designer what it meant, his response was, “Any idiot knows that means almost all the way around!” Those are the people that “back charges” are intended for, apply liberally.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2010 14:34 Edited 08-25-2010 14:37
And I absolutely support and practice RFI's, or as a recent engineer called them- DCVR's: Design Clarification Variation Request (fancy name for an RFI).  The Engineer needs to be consulted if there is any doubt or question on either the contractor's part or the Inspector's part.

"When in Doubt, CHECK IT OUT!!"  should be our motto. 

Personally, I have no doubt as to what the 'AWS' meaning of the symbol in question means.  The application or the method of getting there may be a different story.  Many times I need to see it as it ends up fit up to see 'how' to get there, 'why' it was called out like it was, or 'do we request a change because you can't get there from here'. 

While I believe totally with Al's comments about the lack of knowledge of many, SOMETIMES it may be that they know their own inability to see the finished product and they know they need a CJP weld BUT that wall may be too close so I'll leave it up to the contractor and his detailer or deal with it when they can give me more facts later.

I think we have actually answered the OP's question about the symbol.  I think we have lots of concerns and questions about the application of the symbol and on occassion how it works out in practice.  I believe that the RFI will most often be the only way to resolve the questions that one has on his particular job.

BTW, AL,  you said something about an attachment with a symbol for 'almost all the way around'?  Did you post that somewhere that I didn't notice?  edit: OKAY!! it came up right as I posted this, thanks.  That is a good one.  LOL!!!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-25-2010 14:55 Edited 08-26-2010 11:23
I should have said, "embedded."

In many instances, the majority rather than the minority, the designer/engineer (design professional) is smarter to leave the joint details up to the fabricator. There are provisions in D1.1 and A2.4 where the design professional simply indicates the required weld size on the symbol and the fabricator determines the best means of obtaining the required weld size.

Since most of the work being discussed pertains to D1.1, the fabricator has to submit the details of the connections and weld joints to the design professional for approval before initiating fabrication. Only with the design professional's approval stamp is the inspector's assured that the details have been reviewed and accepted as being adequate. 

Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 08-26-2010 05:12 Edited 08-26-2010 05:20
Al,

I called it "half moon".

I've seen that symbol when I was stationed in China.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-26-2010 13:58
Marshall,
The "official" interpretation of this symbol in AWS A2.4 is a single sided square groove weld.
The "official" symbol for a CJP weld from AWS A2.4 when no dimensions are given is an arrow with CJP in the tail as I noted earlier.
The statement that Brent quoted from the Annex of AWS A2.4 that it is the "simplest" way to detail a CJP weld is IMHO a cop-out from the code committee.
Just the amount of postings on this subject shows it is not clearly understood.

The example I posted earlier shows that it can be an open door for lazy detailers.
The drawing I mentioned had numerous CJP, PJP and fillet welds detailed but the one joint where two plates were coming together at 45 degrees to form a groove weld was detailed as the OPs symbol - make it CJP however you like ???
REgards,
Shane
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-26-2010 14:14
Ross,
Not sure if you will see this post. (Maybe John W can forward on).
I hit reply to Marshalls response to jon20013 on 25/8/10 at 11.47 but instead of my post showing just after Marshalls it ended up being the most recent post and wasn't even relevant to what Al, Joey and others were discussing.
Am I doing something wrong - this is not the first time ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-26-2010 17:09
Shane Feder
AWS A 2.4
Foreword
"Welding cannot take it's proper place as a fabricating tool unless means are provided for conveying the information from the designer to the welding personnel. Statements such as "to be welded throughout" or "to be completely welded," in effect, transfer the design responsibility from the designer to the welder who cannot be expected to know design requirements."

then in  Clause 4.2.2 Complete Joint Penetration. Omitting the depth of bevel and groove weld size dimensions from the welding symbol requires complete joint penetration only for single-groove welds and double groove welds having symmetrical joint geometry [see figures 12(D) and (E), 21, 22, (A),(B),(D), and Annex B4.2.2.

Is this not an official statement?

Now let me ask you this,
If the structure collapses and the only weld that is found to be wrong is a Butt Joint that was detailed as the O.P. posted and was found to be anything other than CJP who will pay?

If I disagree with this symbol's placement for what ever reason I need to address it to the Engineer of Record otherwise give them a CJP, ( I do send a lot of RFI's).
Have A Great Day
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2010 15:09
Shane,

I am not in disagreement with you that that phrase may be a "cop out" in the code and that engineers using that symbol in that way may be either just lazy or very non committal for some reason.  That doesn't change the fact that they are allowed to do so and the code identifies and explains the symbol as to it's usage.  It may take a little research between D1.1, A2.4, and their commentaries, but it is there. 

I certainly am not saying that this would be the ONLY way or BEST way to weld said joint.  And I don't pretend to know why the engineer would use that symbol instead of being more precise with a bevel weld symbol and more detail such as measurements.  But that is also why we have an RFI system.  And, there are times even when all the details ARE given that we use the RFI because once the job is fit up we find it can not be welded as called out.  There is something else in the way,  no room to access,  the process won't handle OH yet it is called on the print detail,  etc.  So we ask for permission to complete the task another way.  It may be the engineer realizes that the joint in question has limitations and has left the final decision to the fabricator/detailer to be approved in the shop drawings only wanting to emphasize that the project NEEDS a CJP weld there.

I also acknowledge that I am not always the best at explaining my position and how I believe the Code is trying to establish certain items.  You, Al, jon, Marshall, MB, both John Wright & John West, Allan, Kip, Joe, Henry and so many others here have really been great resources for me and aided in my learning over the past few years ( I have been lurking here far longer than I have been signed up and participating).  I believe I have answered the OP's question correctly.  I hope I answered it clearly.  I hope I have not caused CONFUSION with any of my statements.  This site is a GREAT resource and I consider it a privilege and responsibility to be a help to others not spread confusion and misinformation.  I have been challenged many times.  Many of those I have had to change my position and/or have learned a great deal from even if only because I had to support my belief.  I believe that has happened here.  I still believe I have correctly stated the application of the symbol in question. 

Thank you for your time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-31-2010 00:29
Ok, I'm a new CWI but wouldn't the melt through symbol satisty the CJP requirement?  There were several examples of this in the study guides and the CWI exam had some questions on this subject as well.  Square groove symbol with melt through symbol on the other side indicates CJP?  

Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 08-31-2010 01:19
any groove symbol (xcept flares) without sizing indicates cjp,  I get fabricators telling me, "that's a partial..."  my answer "how much of a partial"
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 09-10-2010 06:44
How much of a partial is pretty evident. If it can't be reached from the back side for backing, back weld, or back gouge, by definition, its a full thickness partial pen. It all comes down to its application, and one quick phone call or email could settle all this speculation that has been posted here. It could also be meant to be used as a seal weld. Column caps are not a structural weld and can be shown as either a fillet with a weld size or as a square groove/seal weld. Deck plate butt welds on some types of skid floors are also shown simply as square groove welds, and some where on the page there may be an obscure note making reference to depth of penetration. The original post asked simply for an interpratation of the symbol, so, you can only read whats there.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2010 14:49
Just from my personal experience, Platinumbased,

The current trend is to make as many of the weld joints fall under the 'Pre-qualified' class as possible.  Keep it simple and straightforward for the fabricator, erector, and inspector.

A weld called out as one sided with melt through is not pre-qualified.

A CJP with backing, backgouge, etc is pre-qualified. 

Now, your actual question, yes, using the melt through symbol would drive a final nail in the coffin as to the engineer expecting the joint to be welded from only one side with melt through to establish CJP completeness.  But the contractor would need a tested procedure and WPS with welders qualified to complete that weld in order to do it that way.  Not a prequalified joint/weld.

As previously stated by myself, Marshall, MB, and others, according to A2.4 and D1.1 there are several symbols that establish the joint as CJP when there are no measurements included in the welding symbol.  It can also be done by calling out a CJP in the tail and not giving any joint configuration. 

In the case of the current OP's question, the joint is called out, just no measurements.  I still maintain that that dictates, BY D1.1 CODE, a CJP weld.  A prudent fabricator would more than likely submit an RFI requesting clarification and authorization to weld it from both sides IF POSSIBLE in the joint in question.  This should be handled when in the detail process to submit shop drawings before the work has actually begun.  The bottom line is that there is a CJP weld that the contractor needs to bid as such and know the inspections will also be different that other joints.

Some may well be correct, laziness on the part of an engineer, not the most efficient way to deal with it, etc.  BUT, there is much we don't KNOW and are only speculating upon as to the APPLICATION of this symbol.  The OP only wanted to know it's meaning.  To me the meaning is clear.  There is no confusion.  It is a CJP weld in a butt joint welded only from one side.  Bid it as such and you can't go wrong.  Get an RFI if in doubt as to the actual application in order to accomplish the job especially after seeing how the joint is actually fit up and what type of accessibility there is to the joint. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-31-2010 23:11
Thanks Brent.  Your post was helpful and I'm learning much on this forum.  I'm a new CWI but not new to welding.  I can't tell you how many times a print came into my hands with weld symbols that nobody knew how to make or what to do.  My favorite were the symbols that told you to weld a component that was already completley sealed from a previous manufacturing procedure and it had no access to make the weld.
- - By 99205 (***) Date 10-31-2010 05:16
Well after reading this entire discussion I decided adding A2.4 to my new but growing library would be a good idea.  Learned alot of good stuff.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 12:38
The requirements of A2.4 are supplemented by the fabrication/welding standard. Keep in mind that the requirements and interpretations relative to the welding symbol may differ somewhat from one fabrication or welding standard to another.

In my opinion there is some ambiguity in A2.4 regarding the required joint penetration when the weld size is not provided. When the weld size is not specified, the weld is complete joint penetration by default when working with AWS D1.1. However, when the bevel size is provided, but weld size is not, A2.4 states that the minimum weld size is equal to the bevel depth. What isn't considered by A2.4 is the physics of the weld, i.e., no consideration is given to the base metal being welded, groove angle, welding process, or position of the welding. Each of those variables has some influence in the degree of joint penetration.

As a result of the disconnect between A2.4 and the "real world “, I find designers and engineers mayvnot have a "feel" for what works and what doesn't. This may be the result of a lack of feedback from the welders to the designers/engineer. In some cases it is due to corporate culture, i.e., there is a divide between engineering and production, and in other cases it is due to ignorance because no one has ever sectioned a weld to see what the actual joint penetration is.

I throw my support behind those that believe there needs to be direct lines of communications between the designers/engineers and production. It is not a sign of ignorance to ask questions when there is doubt about the  designer’s  or engineer’s intent. When there is no line of communication or when the drawings are antiquated, i.e., the designer/engineer has departed us, then it is best to err on the side of conservatism. It is better to be “too strong” than to be “too weak.”

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 22:28
Hi Al! ;)

You're scaring me buddy... Why?????

You're starting to read like a politician and I know you're not! ;)

Respectfully and Happy belated Halloween! ;)

Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please inturpert this weld symbol?
1 2 Previous Next