Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thick Plates in the As-Rolled Condition
- - By eekpod (****) Date 08-30-2010 18:37
My receiving departement called me this morning (5 min before lunch but thats a different topic) and said they had two plates on a trailer that were weird and had a condition they had never seen.
I go down and take a look and I would have to agree with them, that I had never seen plate delivered to us in this condition.

I spoke to the sales person from the supplier and he said plate over 1 3/4" comes in the "as-rolled condition.  I would agree that it does look like it was rolled and left as is, normally for us it's cut to size and the ends and sides are square.

Have any of you come across this before? I can understand the ends and why they look like that from the rolling process, but I don't understand why the sides are Vee'in like that.
Check it out, Chris
Attachment: 100_1994.jpg (821k)
Attachment: 100_1996.jpg (840k)
Attachment: 100_2001.jpg (806k)
Attachment: 100_2002.jpg (850k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-30-2010 18:45
Sorry Chris, I have no experience with any plates being delivered to me looking like those.

We had huge x huge 6" thick bracing column base plates purchased for jobs and never had any that looked like those. I only had one in all of the time that I've been UT'ing to have laminations large enough to reject and send back(customer had restrictive tolerances on lams).

Have you done a lam scan on any of this material to see what the rest of it looks like that you can't see?
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-30-2010 19:14
Just seen that for the first time a couple months ago. 3/4 plate at first I thought it was 2 @ 3/8.  Called supplier, he said it was 2 @ 3/8 hot rolled together to make 3/4 and a normal occurrence.  The supplier is a salesman so sometimes speaks with forked-tongue.
Parent - By L51174 (**) Date 08-30-2010 19:33
Your supplier sounds like an idiot, lol, no I'm afraid thats not normal, plate is rolled from slabs to lesser and lesser thickness, never heard of, read about, or seen plates rolled together to make a thicker plate. Not saying it doesn't happen, (maybe in China lol) but it is definately not a normal occurance.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-30-2010 19:34
I did an MT on the flame cut end and there were no laminations.
I don't have my UT anymore so I can't check, although I guess if I had time I could do it for info only, but I don't have time right now.

I'm betting that this is what it usually looks like form the mill, it's just that we are all used to seeing it cut and trimmed nice nice.  I'm still waiting to hear what the supplier says.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-31-2010 01:48
Yes, that is as rolled. What You are used to getting is flame cut to width. Plate is only rolled to thickness, not on the edges like bar stock.

I don't buy the other posters description of getting 3/4" made by rolling 2 thinner plates together, the soild state weld made by that method would be full of inclusions unless rediculous care & fluxing was done, and that wouldn't be cost effective.
Parent - By L51174 (**) Date 08-30-2010 19:46
I've seen 75 and 100mm plate come in that looked like it had laminations in the kerf where it was cut to size, and did have some small laminations, but lam scans never revealed anything significant. The sides, or one side any how, appear to be "as rolled" as well. In my opinion if I order a given size plate, then all of it should be usable, and the scrap should stay at the mill. I think your supplier is gettin of on the cheap, as it appears that you will have a lot of waste from the edges.

Respectfully, Greg
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-30-2010 21:37
Not all that uncommon.  What it comes from, if it's what I'm thinking of, is as the slab is rolled thinner and thinner, instead of the edge bulging out the middle, the bulging happens at the top and bottom and it squishes in on itself.  In a much thinner plate, you wouldn't see that because that edge appearance would get rolled out--but instead it could manifest as a mid-thickness lamination near the edge of the plate.  (I first had this phenomenon explained to me in the context of edge laminations.)

UT it (straight beam) to see how far in it goes.

Hg
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 08-31-2010 01:13
it looks like what you have is "mill edge" as defined in ASTM A6, "the normal edge produced by rolling between horizontal finishing rolls"
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2010 20:11
I thought it was called universal rolled plate edge (I could be wrong). It has already been mentioned, what you are looking at is the edge of the rolled plate before being trimmed by a torch or shear. Thicker plates are often trimmed using a oxy-fuel torch, while thinner plates are sheared, and sheet metal is slit to the proper size.

I would check with the boys in purchasing. I'm sure they "saved" money by purchasing the universal rolled plate.

You see the same effect on the ends of forged bars before the ends are trimmed.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 09-01-2010 01:15
Universal Mill edge (UM) is as rolled between horizontal AND vertical finishing rolls
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 09-01-2010 10:21
thank you everyone for your input.
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thick Plates in the As-Rolled Condition