Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wire for cast ornamental fittings
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 08-31-2010 20:56
I am looking for a good wire to weld the cast fittings to steel tubing. I have used about any stick electrode mostly 7018 with success but with my mig the weld cracks after it cools or with the slightest little bump. I am using basic er70s with 75/25 gas. Being this is ornamental it is not a huge problem but still bothers me.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-31-2010 21:32
I am interested in the best filler for this as well.  I assume you are talking about cast steel and not cast iron?
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-01-2010 00:46
All I know is it is cast something. I do not think it is steel though. I have not tried cast rods, but 309 stainless does ok.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-01-2010 02:32 Edited 09-01-2010 02:35
Robert,

This is how I do it. I'm assuming your talking about the little cast shoes that go on the bottom of the newel posts? Anyhow, I use my mig, er70s with 75/25. I clear out a space on the shop floor and get prepared. First, I heat the cast piece to 400.....500 degrees. I usually heat until my temp gun won't read anymore, max's out at 600 degrees, set your cast piece where you want it and weld to steel post. Then I immediately throw some heat back on it for a minute or two and then the most important step of all. I have about 40 pounds of old sandblaster sand that I quickly pour all over the piece and pile around it. Your must completely cover it, your looking for a very slow cool. Then I walk away and do something else for a few hours.

Sounds nutty like squirrel poop I know but I have yet to have one that I do this way crack and have had handrail out there now for several years used daily. They have been dropped on the trailer and miss handled and hold up nicely. Before I started doing this "procedure" and just welding them straight......a mouse could fart and blow the cast piece off! Now, I don't know if I'd anchor a complete railing using this method. Usually for what I build I have solid anchors either steel plates with concrete anchors or core drilled and the cast shoe is in the middle for.....well for whatever reason it was required. Also have welded cast iron volutes on some decorative tube rail using this method. However I try and grind a bit of a bevel/groove in the volute where it meets the tube so I can get full pen on the tube as I typically grind it smooth after it cools.

You can substitute sand for floor dry, cat litter....not used of course!!

Shawn
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-01-2010 03:13
Vermiculite is a good thermal insulator for this & similar purposes.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 09-01-2010 23:59
I've welded thousands of cast caps and spears with good ole 5p+ stick rod also er-70s and 75/25 mix gas no preheat very few problems turn it up 10 that always helps!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-02-2010 11:18
Shawn's right.
The sand has to be dry.
You can also use a thick piece of K-Wool insulation.

Tim
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 09-02-2010 00:53
You can buy ornamental parts that are malleable iron or cast steel instead of cast iron . They will weld just like steel but cost more .I built some stair railings a few years ago with laterals at the end, I used cast iron . One broke before we got it installed and the other broke when the home owner hit it with his lawnmower. the castings broke into three peices, I repaired one by brazing and replaced the other with cast steel.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-02-2010 02:14
Robert the 309 probably works well because of the high nickel content.  (guessing)  I know that SS fillers work well on dissimilar metals generally.  With cracking as consistent as you talk about I rekon you are dealing iron pieces.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-03-2010 10:24
I have used similar processes on cast repair, but if you are welding hundreds of collars it may take alot of time. I have been welding them top and bottom so when the weld cracks they are wedged in so they won't move. I just hate putting something together with a cracked weld on it before it even gets used.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wire for cast ornamental fittings