Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another Rig Explosion Today
- - By commonarc (**) Date 09-02-2010 22:55 Edited 09-02-2010 23:34
See post below.  Many Welding accidents resulting in injury, fires, explosions and huge fines.

September 2, 2010

Just hours after a Mariner Energy rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, the House Energy and Commerce committee is asking Scott Josey, the president and CEO of the company, for a briefing on the incident.

House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), and Reps. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) are leading the investigation in two subcommittees.

The explosion will almost certainly bolster Democrats’ contention that off-shore drilling is not yet safe enough. In the wake of the Deepwater Horizon disaster earlier this year, Republicans said offshore drilling should not be halted, but safety measures should be improved. This incident will likely give both sides more ammo going into an election season where Democrats are furiously trying to paint Republicans as friends of Big Oil.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 09-02-2010 22:58 Edited 09-02-2010 23:38
Several Welding related violations reported including not complying with their own Welding and Burning Safety Procedure Plan....Interesting....I wonder what it's like floating around in a "gumby suit" when a rig explodes waiting to be rescued?  Anyone on this forum ever had to do this?:

September 2, 2010

Another oil rig has blown up in the Gulf of Mexico. The Vermilion 380 is owned by Mariner Energy which was recently purchased by by Apache Energy, according to Think Progress. Together, these two companies have paid $745,000 in fines to the Minerals Management Service in 2010 alone.

September 02, 2010
Mariner involved in 13 Gulf accidents since '06, seven with violations
Mariner Energy has been involved in a string of at least 13 offshore accidents since 2006 in Gulf of Mexico waters -- including a blowout and four fires -- that were investigated by the Minerals Management Service (now the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement). Possible violations were reported in at least seven of the reported accidents and Mariner has paid at least two separate civil penalties related to accidents, records show.

-May 25, 2006: A leaking storage tank prompted the report of a pollution incident at a platform damaged by Hurricane Katrina at a development site 10 miles from shore in 35 feet of water. Inspectors found the bottom of the tank was severely corroded and the damaged platform safety system and tank sump pump were unable to contain the overflow. A pollution violation was recorded by New Orleans-based inspectors.

-May 29, 2006: An employee was injured when he fell approximately 11 feet from a production platform to a lower deck. Inspectors based in Lafayette, Louisiana found a possible violation related to the fact that the injured man was not wearing required fall protection equipment. Mariner later paid a related $30,000 civil penalty, government records show.

-Oct. 28, 2006:Fire on a production platform in 45 feet of water and 26 miles offshore caused by a welding accident.

Two possible violations were identified by Lake Jackson, Texas-based inspectors.

-June 23, 2007: Flash fire and explosion reported on a production platform that was being decommissioned 74 miles offshore in 198 feet of water.

A tank exploded and a worker was burned when a crew of contractors used cutting torches to create a hole intended to provide access for equipment needed for decommissioning. (This was originally listed as a Forest Oil accident, a company that was acquired by Mariner. Mariner Energy was cited as the operator for possible violations, the accident report shows.)

Mariner Energy failed to comply with its own welding and burning safety procedures plan, the accident report says.

-March 1, 2008: An accident involving a derrick barge under tow that struck a Mariner Energy's Eugene Island well, resulting in minor damage estimated at about $2,000. Mariner Energy personnel discovered the accident. No violations found by Lafayette, La.-based inspectors.

-May 6, 2008: Workers were required to evacuate when a blowout was reported at a Pride Offshore drilling rig operated by Mariner Energy in 287 feet of water and about 90 miles from shore. The blowout apparently occurred when the driller hit a previously unknown shallow-gas zone. No violations were identified by Lafayette, La.-based inspectors.

-May 26, 2008: A drilling accident that caused an eye injury to a crew member was reported at another site where a Pride Offshore rig was drilling under supervision of operator Mariner Energy. The site at was in 340 feet of water and 102 miles offshore. During drilling operations, the hook and hoist chain became temporarily stuck under the rig floor. When it dislodged the chain fell in a whipping motion and struck one of the crew members in the face. Lake Charles, Texas-based inspectors found possible violations based on "unsafe workmanlike operations" that led to the injury.

-June 2, 2008: A fire occurred on a production platform in 62 feet of water and 21 miles offshore during a cleaning operation. The fire occurred after the system was restarted because of liquid hydrocarbons that had migrated into a fuel gas scrubber during the shut down, causing $40,435 in damage. No violations were reported.

-Dec. 3, 2008: A pollution incident reported at a Rowan drilling rig at a site operated by Mariner Energy apparently caused by a leaking valve. No violations were reported.

-Feb. 27, 2009: Four contract employees were performing minor repairs caused by Hurricane Ike at Mariner's High Island platform when one employee fell through a hole in loose grating on the platform. No violations found by Lake Jackson Texas-based inspectors.

-June 9, 2009: Government records show that Mariner was assessed a $20,000 civil penalty in 2010 related to a safety inspection showing that the heliport on a platform had been taken out of service due to an earlier fire, leaving a boat landing as the only access to the structure. The boat landing was then taken out of service during an inspection due to corroded grating and missing handrails and personnel did not have a safe way to visit this platform.

-June 15, 2009: Fire and explosion that resulted in the injury of one worker and $500 damage on a production platform in 75 feet of water and about 45 miles offshore. A contract rigger received burns to his legs and back when a methanol tank exploded during welding operations. Lafayette, Louisiana based inspectors identified four possible safety violations and advised Mariner to submit a letter of explanation addressing the problems A lawsuit was later filed in a Louisiana federal court by the 34-year-old injured rigger who suffered second and third degree burns that he blamed on the "negligence, carelessness and omission of duty" by Mariner and sought $500,000 damages.

-June 22, 2009: An injury accident occurred when a crane was decomissioned during plug and abandon operations at a South Marsh production platform in 223 feet of water and 89 miles from shore. Inspectors found that workers failed to follow and adhere to safe practices while disassembling a S70-P portable crane. Possible violations were found and Mariner Energy was asked to submit a letter for its plans to eliminate future incidents of this type.

Mariner Energy also became became associated with other accident investigations through its business dealings:

-Feb. 2006: Through a merger/acquisition, Mariner Energy inherited involvement in a fatal accident at a lease on High Island off the Texas Coast that was caused by a blowout (loss of well control incident) at a lease then controlled by Forest Oil Corporation, which was later acquired by Mariner.

The accident occurred at an unmanned platform that had been targeted to be plugged and abandoned.

Mariner also has been assessed civil penalties for safety violations related to routine or follow-up inspections. It paid two safety-related penalties in 2010:

-- $20,000 fine paid in June 2010 related to a June 10, 2009 inspection that showed the heliport on a platform was taken out of service due to a fire, leaving a boat landing as the only access to the structure. The boat landing was taken then out of service during an inspection due to corroded grating and missing handrails. Personnel did not have a safe way to visit this platform according to the June 9, 2009 inspection.

-- $35,000 paid in May 2010 related to a June 11, 2009 inspection that showed that an operator was conducting operations without a contingency plan to deal with potentially hazardous gas emissions.

-- Houston Chronicle staff
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-03-2010 10:03
I heard about this today at work, s*cks there gonna really try and shut down drilling now. We need to drill and well we need to do it safer but at the same time i'm sure if enough money is thrown at people they will look the other way to not make it as safe but something needs to be done with this. We need to drill we need to be more independent and we need freaking JOBS
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-03-2010 15:03
Not to mention the fuel/gas prices were actually starting to go down again......guess they're going back up now
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-03-2010 18:25
On second look the coast guard determined that the explosion was caused by combustables sitting on a deck.

No pipeline failure.. No oil spilled.

Shouldn't effect anything.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-03-2010 19:51
The platform which had the accident wasn't even a "drilling platform" so I could not see the dems going around saying that it was unless they want to look really stupid...
Politics as usual. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 09-04-2010 00:59
"so I could not see the dems going around saying that it was unless they want to look really stupid..."

Stupid is as stupid does.  They've already shut down ALL deep water drilling Henry. 
Do you really think this is about looking stupid?  It's about Hope & Change!  Capeche?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-04-2010 04:49 Edited 09-04-2010 04:54
So now you're quoting everyone you choose to in here and then dissecting them to towards your liking??? Political spin doctoring??? Be my guest...

It is what it is... If you really don't like what's going on, then really do something about it, or else go cry to mommy because your whining is getting old as well as reading almost identical to awspartb's nonsense! Live in reality and not in fear!!!

Take charge of your own life instead of letting your reliance on other folks that would rather be playing golf most of the day - starve you while you wait for any slight sign of work coming your way which realistically will not be happening anytime soon... You can continue to blame everyone else for not working today, but the bottom line is this... If push comes to shove, and I'm not working because my union cannot find me work, and I had kids to feed or relatives to take care of, and I was still able to go out there and perform the work? Then I know for sure that I would be out there hustling as much as I could to bring home the bacon regardless if the work was union or not!!!

Of course you'll just read the parts you want to read out of this message and spin it so out of whack so that you end up looking in your own mind as someone who knows what they're talking about and not realizing that by doing so, you only made yourself more ignorant in the eyes of most in here than you already have! Well, that certainly is your perogative (probably spelled incorrectly ;) ) to react in the manner you choose, yet by doing so, you're still not working!!! Even though you could be!!!

You want to fear the union and starve, then be my guest! I know that for me, the longer I'm not welding/fabricating - the longer it takes for me to get back to the level where I was when I was welding/fabricating on a consistent basis... Of course that doesn't matter that much for me anymore these days since I can no longer work anymore due to my physical health and will probably be riding the sunset towards eternal life soon enough also...

Yet you who has much of your life to live in front of you, chooses to wait as long as you possibly can, and suffer as long as you can... Instead of going out there in the rest of the world to find work to which there is plenty of - if one sells themselves in a proper manner... You decide instead to show and express your bitterness in here again and again as opposed to really doing something about it!!! You choose to suffer and to complain and blame when the reality is that you're still not working!!! Why??? Because you're waiting for someone who couldn't give a rat's ass about you or your family to find work for you!!!

Now I really have to question who is the person that's really so mentally defective and unstable within this conversation!!! Oh well, I guess it's both of us when one really analyzes the content as well as the gist of the conversation!!! Then again, I never met a real welder that was sane, or mentally perfect either, so you probably are correct in noticing some of my own eccentricities since after all - it takes one to notice one!!! :) :) :)
Thanks for noticing!!! ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-03-2010 20:02
Today's Brazilian newspapers reported that the reason of the disaster is still unknown and the competent authorities are investigating it. So, let's not put the blame on a weld failure before time. The reason may be another one, like a leaking pump mechanical seal, as it happened to a Petrobras platform a couple of years ago.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 09-03-2010 23:53 Edited 09-04-2010 00:05
I'm not stating the cause of the most recent fire was poor welding or burning safety practices but these were:

October 28, 2006,  Fire on production platform caused by welding operations,  two welding violations.
June 23, 2007, Flash fire caused while decomissioning (torch burning?) Mariner failed to comply with their own welding/burning safety policy(!)
June 15, 2009,  Methane explosion caused by welding operations. Serious injury.

I'm so SICK of working with idiots who just don't give a damn!  That goes for management as well.  Once you've seen a toasty marshmellow fried welder being taken out in a body bag because some jerk couldn't lay down some fire blanket or had to have a smoke...or some foreman decided he didn't need a fire watch or check to see if explosive atmosphere was in a tank............This seems to be the future of the trades in the USA because that's how they do it in the Third World and there are many in the USA willing to work that way here.I guess jumping into the ocean and floating around in a gumby suit waiting to get rescued is just part of the job these days.   

How's the safety on the rigs off the coast of Brazil?   I bet offshore fatalities never even make the news in Brazil.  State owned Petrobras would never allow it.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-04-2010 00:12
Minor ones, where nobody gets killed, possibly no, but major ones, like the one I'm talking about, definetely yes.
It happened a couple of years ago and newpapers gave great repercussion to it. After the investigations were concluded, it was reported that the cause of the explosion was a leaky pump mechanical seal. Of course, reporters aren't engineers and don't know what a mechanical seal is. They wrote "a leaky pump". Now, if you know how a hydrocarbon pump works, it's not difficult to understand that what leaked was  the mechanical seal.
7 were injured and the 1,5 billion US bucks platform sank. All due to a leaky mechanical seal! Difficult to believe !
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 09-04-2010 01:11
It's all about cutting corners GS Crisi.  We have OSHA here in the USA.  They are a tombstone agency as they only get serious when bodies start piling up.  Otherwise it's a $500 fine here or there and nothing gets done as the fines are cheaper to pay than following the LAW.  The sad thing is the number of USA workers willing to work under 1930's conditions, both union and non-union.  Fear of losing a job or the lure of big bucks to risk your life.  Take your pick.  It seems to be worse in the southern states.  I know because I've worked there and have seen the same guys come up north to work.  Many are driven off the job sites because we can't get the southern boys to even do simple things like wear safety glasses or NOT SMOKE in a refinery.  I'm sick of it myself and refuse to work with idiots anymore.  Flame away boys but it's true.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-06-2010 02:54
Giovanni, You have probably seen this before, it is much like the leaky seal.

FOR WANT OF A NAIL  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For want of a nail , the shoe  was lost:

For want of the shoe , the horse  was lost;

For want of the horse , the rider  was lost;

For want of the rider , the battle  was lost;

For want of the battle , the kingdom  was lost,

And all for the want of a nail.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 09-04-2010 02:50 Edited 09-04-2010 02:54
<<<By Lawrence  Date 09-03-2010 18:25 On second look the coast guard determined that the explosion was caused by combustables sitting on a deck.
No pipeline failure.. No oil spilled. Shouldn't effect anything.>>>

The Wall Street Journal and the Liberal Democrats thinks otherwise Lawrence....nothing to see here, more along...nothing to see here.

HOUMA, La.—The fire that engulfed an oil and gas platform Thursday in the Gulf of Mexico heightened pressure on the energy industry, which is battling greater regulation and a deep-water drilling ban.

The accident on Mariner Energy Inc.'s shallow-water platform sent 13 workers tumbling into the ocean, but there were no casualties and little or no oil appears to have been spilled.

But the towering column of smoke in the Gulf, 245 miles from where the Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20, provoked an outcry from environmental groups and politicians in Washington already skeptical of offshore drilling.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704206804575467600528128386.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another Rig Explosion Today